Best Chance for a Whaleshark in OCt/Nov in Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rirarianneke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a trip for the Maldives end of October/Beginning of November.
Where should I go if I want to increase my chances of seeing a whaleshark?
Any tips or advices are very welcome...

On a LOB, your chances are extremely high of at least snorkling with one. At the begining of November last year, several boats were cruising along one long thila in the South Ari atoll where several whale sharks were sited every day in front of this resort (http://www.maldiveswhitesands.com/pages/mainframe.htm). That does not guarantee that they will return there this year (they may be slaughtered in India first) so I still think a LOB is a much better bet.

I agree a liveaboard is a good bet. Having said all that you miss out on the beautiful sandy beaches if you do that....

I would say the Southern Ari Atoll is a good bet.

This article explains about the monsoon seasons so you can be a better judge.

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Maldives feature.htm

Best idea....find an island you like and contact the dive centre.

Hope this helps!

Mark Goodchild:
I agree a liveaboard is a good bet. Having said all that you miss out on the beautiful sandy beaches if you do that....

Best idea....find an island you like and contact the dive centre.
.... and just hope that the whale sharks come to you. :wink:

I have regularly posted concerning whalesharks at White Sands resort, Maldives. May is the best time to go but the months October/November is second according to the detailed information that Werner Mischler, one of the dive guides on the island has collected over the last 5 years. I assume that they prefer and maybe there is more food during the still conditions at the times when the monsoon is changing. I was lucky enough to be there in May 03 when over 70 were seen during the month. Personally I saw 12 whalesharks in 6 dives. The liveaboard boats go there looking for whalesharks. Plus there some some top Thila sites to go to as well including Kuda Rah Thila, AA thila (a personal favourite) and the absolutely magical 7th Heaven. November will also probably be in season or Manta Point near Rangali which is about an hour away by Dhoni.

check out werners web site at www.whaleshark-id.net

For your information I also know dive guides working in the maldives for 7 years who have never seen one. They are very localised and this is the best resort to take your chance. If you don't buy a ticket you can't win the lottery.

check out www.euro-divers.com

who operate the dive school there.

Of ocurse I have not been since boxing day but I know that the island stayed open. You might want to find out some info before you make a final decision.

Back
Top Bottom