Best Caribbean diving with a kid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3brooklyn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone recommend a Caribbean Island that is ideal for diving with a 12-year old? My wife, son, and I are all certified and have gone to Bonaire the last couple of years. Bonaire is perfect as most of the diving is from the shore and there's plenty to see above 40 feet (suggested max depth for SSI Junior Open Water Diver until age 16). We're looking for someplace new that has a variety of shallow dive spots. Shore access is great but not essential. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The BVI has a very nice assortment of dives in the 30'-60' range with a nice mix of underwater topography. Some deeper dives as well but nothing much over 80'. No shore diving though. We've been twice and dove with Dive Tortola both times. Very good dive op that provides safe, valet diving.

Tortola British Virgin Islands scuba diving, snorkel, Caribbean dive vacations, resorts, villas, suites

I agree with the BVI, Tortola or better yet Virgin Gorda

Florida Keys is great for a large variety of shallow reef sites (20-35 feet). You can even do a couple wrecks like the Benwood and City of Washington. Caribbean diving in the United States. No shore diving though and many reefs pale compared to Bonaire.

My favorite destination is Little Cayman. Many people feel as if it's the top destination for all around visibility, fish and coral life, and ease of diving. While the first dive of the day is usually a "wall dive", all anyone has to do is stay along the top of the wall during the dive. No need to go deep if you don't want to. To tell the truth, along the top of the wall is where all the best stuff is anyway. Then the second dive will be your typical shallow dive.

We stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort so check them out. Great place to stay and great dive operation.

Oh yes. Your son will get the opportunity to pet the friendly groupers they have. They will actually swim up to you and follow you around. It would be a great experience.

I have dove grand cayman with my son since he was 10. But we have a house on the south side of the island 10-minutes from ocean frontiers. I would recommend
them highly,great staff, great sites, and no cattle call on any of their boats.
I have dove coz,turks,haw,florida, but feel grand cayman is the safest place
to dive with my son. Be careful any where in the carribean because most 2-tank
dives the first dive is usually a 100 footer and i have seen plenty of people let their kids do these deep dives thinking the dm will keep them safe. I always book
dives for my 12-year old on the newbie excursions with sites 50-feet or less.
I seen one dad get his kid certified in the morning and let the kid try a 100 foot
dive that afternoon, when the kid did not feel comfortable getting down to the
100 foot depth he left him with the dm to bring him back on the boat. Anyways i
would recommend grand cayman,with a direct flite on cayman air, and book your
and your sons dives wisely.

Please pardon capitals could not find reading glasses....

j3,

Bonaire is perfect! You have access to over 75 shore diving sites. Originally from NJ we moved to Bonaire 5 years ago. My favorite dives are from north of town all the way south (Margate Bay) You can see A LOT in 15 ft of water in these areas!!!! Please feel free to email or pm me with any questions I can help you out with. Oh, Continental justed added a second redeye out of newark leaves around midnight on fri night and gets to Bonaire early Sat. morning. Good prices too!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom