Best Caribbean diving--what do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove many of these places.

Turks and Caicos.

South Caicos has a wall at about 80+ feet. I have seen schooling reef sharks there and I hear Eagle Rays do that there also. The inner reef is shallower. The visibility is great. The problem is that hotel facilities tend to be hit or miss (I don’t know the current situation) and the dive operator is often lacking.

Salt Cay - is a small island with a tiny population. I dove there and my dive partner was a regular. I think I met half of the island’s population during my one week stay. The diving is pretty good. It has nice walls and some nice reef and again, great visibility.

Grand Turk - the capital of the T&C. It has a number of dive operators and some really nice walls and again, great visibility.

Caymans

I have been to Little Cayman and Cayman Brac many times. Bloody Bay Wall at Little Cayman is quite famous. There are some really great dives there. And there is a large variety. It features very tame hawksbill turtles and tame Nassau grouper. The nice thing is that virtually every dive site has a mooring shallow enough to do your safety spot on some coral heads.

But as good as Little is, I like the Brac better. The diving is similar but deeper. I love the south side but often you can’t dive there because of the wave action (not large but it mucks things up and many divers do not have great sea legs). The walls at the south side are deep but I believe they are right up with the best in Caribbean. I have seen reef sharks on half of my dives on the south side walls. Also the corals on these walls is possibly the best in the Caribbean. There is a dive on the south side (shallow) that has a dozen of the biggest and healthiest pillar coral heads I have ever seen. There is another site that has healthy elkhorn coral. And there are several dives where you can find some nice healthy staghorn coral. The Brac also has the friendly hawksbills and Nassau grouper.

Cozumel - the southernmost section is by far the healthiest. It often has currents. The diving can be absolutely superb. And the topside can be equally nice.

Utila and Routan. The west side of Utila has a wide variety of diving and some really good sites. There are not that many fish. I think that Routan is not quite as good. But Utila is backpacker central and Routan is more geared to adults.

Belize - Turneffe Atoll has good diving especially The Elbow. The lagoon has world class snorkeling and you can find healthy staghorn there. Lighthouse Atoll farther out has better diving and really great coral.

South Florida

Jupiter and West Palm - Jupiter is famous for big stuff. It is famous for sharks. I have not seen them but I have not dove it much. I did a dive there though where I saw schooling Goliath grouper. What a hoot!

Blue Heron Bridge - great muck dive. It is shallow and you can dive only at high tide. It is shallow and tends to have limited visibility but that is OK because you are looking at small stuff usually. You can see all sorts of things: bat fish, frog fish, flying gugnards, sea robins, jawfish, octopus, all sorts of morays, blennies and so on.

Key Largo - has the best diving in the keys. It has good coral and a really nice variety of fish. I have seen large fish (grouper, snapper and shark) attacking bait balls there. That is really cool.

A caution about Florida is Florida boaters tend to be oblivious about divers with the obvious risk that poses.

You might not want to fool with Florida but it is worthy of consideration.

Did a trip to Turks and Caicos in December. Great diving and we saw multiple sharks on every dive! And yes, we also had a whale shark come through. Can't promise a whale shark, but T&C has the "sharkiest" water I've ever been in. Lots of walls that border deep water so the larger stuff comes in for a look.

BTW were the reefs mashed up after the hurricanes last year?

In the Caribbean I can’t recommend Providencia enough. It is just incredible. Unfortunately the small island was devastated by the hurricane last year but I’m hoping they will back up next year.

San Andrés is pretty good and the same or better than Roatan. Both of these are Colombian islands off of Nicaragua

In the Caribbean I can’t recommend Providencia enough. It is just incredible. Unfortunately the small island was devastated by the hurricane last year but I’m hoping they will back up next year.

San Andrés is pretty good and the same or better than Roatan. Both of these are Colombian islands off of Nicaragua

Thank you! That is the big question for all the Caribbean dive areas... How did they fair after the hurricanes? The reefs don't regrow in a year. They take time.

Have been to Roatan 4 years ago and enjoyed the small life and vibrant reefs. Would like to dive a new place.... So I wonder how San Andres and Providencia's reefs have survived.

Thank you! That is the big question for all the Caribbean dive areas... How did they fair after the hurricanes? The reefs don't regrow in a year. They take time.

Have been to Roatan 4 years ago and enjoyed the small life and vibrant reefs. Would like to dive a new place.... So I wonder how San Andres and Providencia's reefs have survived.
Really worried about the reefs in Providencia but at this point you can’t even go there because there’s no infrastructure. Planning on going to San Andres very soon. People are still diving in San Andres so I hope the damage there was minimal.

Even though I love everything about Cozumel, If I had to get on a plane right now for a dive trip, I'd probably go back to Curacao and stay at Sunscape. Best Vacation Ever, even though they shut the island down half way through. The "House" reef was better than 95% of the reefs I have dove anywhere. If you want to log some serious quality dive time, that's where I would go. Very little big aquatic life though...at least not where we went.

Probably the best reef diving I have done were the two dives after Blue hole in Belize. The diving around AC was typical, but those two dives were outstanding. Probably the best dives I have done... even with the new divers crashing into EVERYTHING.

We will go back to Cozumel in October, even though the weather got us last year. Its the only place we go every year.

Safe travels,
Jay

Mexico would be a great choice. Tulum in particular.
The cenotes are especially amazing, unique and there is plenty for all levels of divers. Add to that Cozumel and whale shark season just up the road in Cancun you have plenty to keep you busy, amazing beaches and food thrown in for good measure.

Did a trip to Turks and Caicos in December. Great diving and we saw multiple sharks on every dive! And yes, we also had a whale shark come through. Can't promise a whale shark, but T&C has the "sharkiest" water I've ever been in. Lots of walls that border deep water so the larger stuff comes in for a look.

Could you tell me where you stayed and which dive op you used please?

Here's my thoughts from my dive travel since Oct. 2020:

West Palm/Jupiter, FL - Oct 2020. High winds cancelled most boat diving, so I went diving at Blue Heron Bridge (BHB) a few times. Don't like the green water diving in Florida, but the BHB was really cool with a wide array of critters.

Socorro liveaboard (Nautilus Explorer) - Nov. 2020. A fantastic trip to see large pelagics with water temps at 83. I dived in just a skin. Ocean conditions were calm with practically no current. One of my best trips ever!!

Bahamas liveaboard - Jan. 2021. I really like the Aqua Cat and the company was running some specials. The weather was cold and windy. The diving was not great. There's not many fish due to an uncontrolled lionfish population and the locals overfishing.

Cozumel, MX - Mar. 2021. I wrote a trip report, so you can check it out, "Why I won't be returning to Cozumel." The thread has gone off the rails, though, so you'll get bored after a few pages of comments.

St. Croix - May 2021. Hurricanes Irma and Maria hit the island in 2017, and the reefs are still recovering. The coral bleaching/tissue disease has hit the reefs and there's few fishes. Lots of juveniles, but no larger fish. The locals are also depleting the fish stock in the ocean and they are eating everything they catch, including the beautiful tropical fish that carry the neurotoxin, ciguatera. Stay away from any fish soup or stew. After a couple of boat dives, I cancelled the rest of my diving and only did shore diving at the Frederiksted Pier, which made this dive trip worth it. I dived the pier both day and night many times and it was alive with hard and soft corals and lots of macro. I will be posting a trip report soon. I would return just to dive the pier. It's that good!!

Socorro liveaboard (Nautilus Belle Amie) - May 2021. This was a completely different (and not as good) dive trip than last November. The sea crossing was in 7-foot swells and it was really rough. The water temps were 71-75 and required a 5 mm wetsuit. The currents were fierce with a lot of surge and up currents and down currents. The weather was poor and the viz was very low. Would not return again in May. I'll post a trip report soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom