best camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best... that's pretty vague. I have a Nikonos V. I got it because I considered it to be the "best" but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree. It might help if you talked a bit about what you're looking for.

im sorry about that i should have been more specific..im looking for a good digital camera to use underwater as well as above..

Thats a popular one, and a great camera too.
Need to be a little more info though before we can make a good decision.

Do you plan on using it for movies as well? With sound?
Are you going to be using the manual features or are you just looking for a simple model that produces good pictures? Are there features you can't live without? Are you looking for a certain MP range? An important one is what sort of price range are you looking at? Does that price range include housing, strobe, other accessories???

I'm sure there may be other questions people will ask too...

Snuggle,

You may want to try a search for digital camera, Olympus or C5050. You will find so many posts about this camera it will scare you. The Olympus line of digital cameras is well supported on this site as well as Digital Diver and TDS.

You have to decide for yourself what you will be using this camera for, because it can be rather pricey to get involved with underwater photography. It is not the camera, it is the housing, the extra batteries, the memory cards, the tray, the strobe, etc. Don't get me wrong you don't have to purchase all of this at once, but in reviewing these posts you will find that somewhere down the road you will purchase most of the equipment listed. It seems that the strobe, arm and possibly the tray can wait. I would give yourself a budget of what you would like to spend, because it will eventually add up. If you are looking for a camera to use a couple of times a year you may not want to invest in such a highly regarded camera for dedicated underwater use. If you are looking for a topside camera you may want to consider size as the C5050 is a camera you will probably want on a neck strap. You can get a pouch to carry this in but there are smaller cameras that are more travel friendly in the 5mp range including an Olympus model.

Good luck in your journey down the digital camera lane.

Mitten Diver

thanks mittendiver..well put i will definitly do a search..

Back
Top Bottom