Best brand for someone a little "round" in the middle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a terrible height/weight for a wetsuit! At 5'7" tall, being round in the middle makes it tough to get into a wetsuit! Right height = too tight to breathe and right fit in the middle = too long in the arms & legs.

As part of my upcoming training, I will be getting into better shape, so in the future I hope to alleviate this issue. That being said, I'm planning a trip soon to Bonaire and want to find a shorty wetsuit to bring with me. If all goes as planned, 4-6 dives per day might be easier with a shorty.

What brands should I look for? Or should I just go custom and know I'll quite possibly never sell it?

Thanks in advance!

The Waterproof brand offers semi-custom suits.

Check our their website and size charts for plus sizes.

There's a few brands that offer "short" and "tall" sizing in addition to the normal S, M, L, XL, etc. Bare is one of those. Take a look at their L short or XL short. I have a Bare Velocity 3/2 full suit that I like a lot. Good stretchiness, which also helps for fit.

Individual tolerance to cold varies, but you may want to consider a full suit for Bonaire. Partly because you'll likely be doing multiple dives per day, and partly because with shore entries, it's nice to have the leg protection of a full suit as you're climbing over/around rocks in the entry zone.

James

Aqualung offers short and long sizing.

The large-short is rated for 5'7-5'9, 168-175
The xl-short is rated for 5'7-5'10, 170-178

check into bare 3/2 -- short large or short medium. works fine for me. i also use a henderson 17oz polyolefin skin that works great in bonaire. use a large but I am not tall. iam 5'8" doesn't seems long and fits my rotund body fine. maybe add a vest to the henderson if you get cold easy. you can add that there if you have to.

xcel does seem to do the sizing thing well. might look into them myself but reiterate my henderson and bare have worked well for me.
but front zip is great for me which is why I like the henderson and why i may look into the xcel in my future.

Bare 3/2 Velocity XL Short (5'8" 200lbs to 225lbs) and 2XL Short (5'8", 225-245lbs). XLS fits my short round body perfectly.... didn't need a custom wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom