Best Big Island surf reports - Kona side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orchidland Surf Shop

I will also be shore diving this coming weekend. Maybe we will bump into each other. I dive with all yellow gear.

Last edited:
Thanks! Maybe will run into you. We're doing lots of diving.

Is there a site for 5-day or 7-day forecasts? That is what I'm having a hard time finding.

Check out magicseaweed.com The darker the blue the better. You'll want to pause the loop, then you can scroll forward or backward in two hour increments. I think it goes out 5-7 days, generally quite accurate within the next day or two.

What is the best website to get surf reports for the Kona side of the island?[...]

Pat Caldwell's surf report for Oahu can be interpreted for the Big Island. It helps to have a map
that shows you what the swell shadow is from the other Hawaiian islands when the predominate
swell direction is from the NW:

Hawaiian Surf Forecast for O`ahu

The National Weather Service web page offers state-scale graphics with swell predictions here:

National Weather Service Forecast Office - WFO Honolulu, Hawaii - Marine Weather Graphical Forecast

(choose "Marine Weather Graphics" and "State Scale")

Hmmmm... Not looking like the best conditions for when we're there. Kona people, are all shore sites generally diveable in 2-3 foot surf or are there sites that are more sheltered than others?

Three-five feet and up from straight west can get dicey, otherwise you just dive the direction the swell isn't coming from. If it's coming from the south you dive two step, mile 4, crescent beach outside of Honokohau harbor and any number of spots north of the airport and a few others that are protected from that direction. If it's coming out of the northwest you dive old aiport park, the Kailua pier, two step, Hookena and other spots. Further north may also work for northwest swells if Maui's in the way.

Generally there's lots of options as long as it's not a sizeable swell from staight out west.

This is a late reply, but anyway:

In addition to the other sites, here is one I use for shore diving and for fishing:

NOAA Graphical Forecast for Eastern Hawaii

In addition to wave heights (grey or light pink is good), pay attention to wind direction and speed.

A quick glance at Sunday's forecast seems to favor getting into Maui's lee, so maybe Mahukona or Puako for morning dives might be best? We will probably try to hit those areas Sunday, unless of course we wake up here in Hilo and Leleiwi looks good :D

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom