best big fish dive location - Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will let my wife know that for the night dives we are not likely to see any sharks, she will be relieved.
If she's jumpy at night, do be sure to warn her about the tarpon. Though probably they will talk about it in the orientation. That's one largish critter you are pretty likely to see at night as they will follow you around and hunt by your lights.

The only place I can think of to see big stuff - other than Tarpon - is the East Side. Larry's Wildside Diving mentions sharks, but I may have read he may not be doing that now.

Larry is still in business. On the FAQ page it says, "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Occassionally nurse sharks and caribbean reef sharks are seen."[/FONT]

He sold his old boat to the guys that own Bonaire East Coast Diving.
Bonaire Diving, unforgettable scubadive vacation adventure !

I have not used either operation but from what I understand from others, shark sightings are rare on the east coast too.

Sharks are a rarity anymore on Bonaire. More on the east then the west (leeward) side.

Are you suggesting sharks were more frequently spotted in the past? I have only just discovered the island a little over a year ago. I have wondered many times why there aren't many sharks living in this healthy reef system. Any thoughts?

I have heard of the very occasional sighting of a nurse shark (usually in Slagbaai or at Klein sights) and the even more rare sighting of a reef shark up north or on the East side. Was there ever a healthy population of sharks in the area?

Speaking of sharks...
Sign this form letter/petition to your senator to end shark finning.

https://secure2.convio.net/toc/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=558
If the apex predator of the world's ocean ecosystems dies off the health of the world ocean will be severely affected. Fish stocks will collapse and the fishing industry will collapse. It WILL affect your food prices (not just fish prices) the travel industry, recreation activities, and the economy.

PLEASE SIGN IT!! This is NOT JUST an issue about sharks!

If she's jumpy at night, do be sure to warn her about the tarpon. Though probably they will talk about it in the orientation. That's one largish critter you are pretty likely to see at night as they will follow you around and hunt by your lights.

The first time one of those 4'-5' tarpon slipped in next to me I felt something touch my sholder and my ankle at about the same time..........my wetsuit is fine now.

I'd agree with all the above....when our group was there, the biggest things we saw were a few small turtles, and a few eagle rays. Big stuff is not the common sight.
Except, as others have pointed out, the tarpon. Around the Bari/Buddy Reef area is Charlie the tarpon, who will indeed stick very close to your lights at night to do some hunting.....very cool. I don't know if other reefs have similar visitors at night.

Enjoy your trip; it's a great place!

There were 2 resident blacktip sharks at "Hands Off" on Klein Bonaire in January 2007.

"resident" meaning?...you have seen them there on multiple dives?....or you have heard of them being there multiple times?...or both?

I don't often hear of blacktips or whitetips or any reef sharks that are "resident" to any site.

There were actually three small black tips that hung out on that reef for several months around that time. I saw them and was told by our guide that he had been seeing them regularly for months. They haven't been there for a long while now but I think they qualified for "resident status"........first nd only sharks I've seen there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom