Best BCD, and Regulator for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I ended up trying about a dozen on and I went with the ScubaPro Ladyhawk. My boyfriend however went with the BP&W, he really like the way it felt and how simple it was. Now I just have to get use to diving with a back inflate, in the past I've only wore jackets. I think I'll play with it in the pool for a few days before taking it to the boat.
As for the regulator I ended up going with the SP S560/MK 21 combination. I think that was the hardest choice out of everything lol.

Totally know what you mean about choosing a reg. I had a hard time with that, too! So many choices! Also getting pool time with the new gear is a great idea. Gives you time to play around and get comfortable with everything before you jump out of a boat.

Congrats on the new gear to you both! Use everything well :)

Another +1 for BP/W. I think it's great for anyone whatever shape, size or gender you may be!

I used to rent jacket BCs when I started diving back in September. It always felt like I was getting an awkward hug walking to the shore and I had a lot of trouble with my buoyancy using it under water. It may not be for everyone, same with BP/W, but I love my Dive Rite BP/W setup! Like @LandonL and @Ayisha said, the customization is key. I love that it's as simple as some webbing, a stainless steel plate, and a wing. You can always trim or re-web it if need be. Here's what it looks like from the front:
View attachment 522446

It's amazing how freeing it is to simply clip things off to my D rings like my light and SPG. Additionally, I love the fact that I was able to easily remove 5lbs of lead just by getting the stainless steel backplate. ** I don't know about you, but the less lead the better in my opinion. It took me around 5-10 dives to dial everything in and feel comfortable enough to start trimming the webbing as needed. 100% worth it.

** edit: to be clear, I shed 5lbs of lead off my waist/cam band by switching to a SS backplate. I still carry the 5lbs, however, it’s evenly distributed on my SS plate and I barely notice it.

I have a similar set-up now with the DGX singles wing and harness and I barely feel anything when I dive (except for my first stage pressing into my head. Still haven't figured out how to fix that). Just D-rings, webbing, wing, and a plate. Right now I have my harness on an aluminum plate but I also have a backup stainless steel plate. I dive cold water with a 7mm wetsuit and 7mm hood/vest and have about 16 lbs of weight with that. I'm honestly considering getting more webbing to make an identical set-up on the stainless steel plate to reduce the weight belt needs, but wasn't sure how the extra BP/W weight would feel. Is the BP/W much harder to lift and lug around versus having the weight in a weight belt to carry? Was the extra weight more of an adjustment for entries/exits?

... I barely feel anything when I dive (except for my first stage pressing into my head. Still haven't figured out how to fix that).

I started with the same issue. Here is a few things you can consider
1. the DGX plate is one the flattest plates, tank is close to you back. If the tank a bit further, it will resolve the issue. So maybe consider next plate to be one with steeper band, such as HOG or OMS

2. you basically want to lower your tank. If you camband is already at the break of the crown, and plate can't go any lower on your back, then you may need a shorter plate. Not too many options here expecially if you want to archieve #1 as well. Halcyon is the only one I know make a short and steep band plate, but there is some catch to this. Oxycheq makes a short plate, but it is a flat one

3. consider a STA like this: Single Tank Adapter , Piranha Dive Shop |
The cam slot is much lower than the bolt location, so tank can sit even lower.

Keep in mind tho, tank shouldn't be too low such that you can't operate the valve. You may need a combination of having tank lower and further away to not having 1st stage hit our head and still can operate valve. In my case, I did all 3 above, using a Halcyon small plate + STA in 3.

Sorry to hear about the first stage pressing into your head, @DBPacific. That doesn't sound enjoyable at all. I don't have the same issue otherwise I would try to offer some advice on my end! @eelnoraa has some great suggestions though -- hopefully they help!

Is the BP/W much harder to lift and lug around versus having the weight in a weight belt to carry? Was the extra weight more of an adjustment for entries/exits?

I haven't noticed any trouble with lift. I'm using the DR Voyager EXP 35lb Wing if that helps. As for the extra weight, I noticed it everywhere -- entries, exits, getting neutral in the water. Keep in mind, I was using a jacket BCD at the time, so the whole thing was uncomfortable for me personally. I went directly from jacket BCD to the SS plate BP/W and loved it. Immediately felt more comfortable diving despite the initial awkwardness of re-learning how to use a BC. It wasn't that difficult -- just different! I feel having weight evenly distributed across my back instead of being #s of lead on my waist and/or cam bands made a huge difference for my comfortability in the water.

I think it's worth webbing up your SS plate to try out for a dive or two. You can always bring the aluminum plate along as a backup if it's not your thing. Like with any new equipment, just make sure you try it out at a dive site you're familiar with and let your buddy know you're test driving a new setup :)

Sorry to hear about the first stage pressing into your head, @DBPacific. That doesn't sound enjoyable at all. I don't have the same issue otherwise I would try to offer some advice on my end! @eelnoraa has some great suggestions though -- hopefully they help!

I haven't noticed any trouble with lift. I'm using the DR Voyager EXP 35lb Wing if that helps. As for the extra weight, I noticed it everywhere -- entries, exits, getting neutral in the water. Keep in mind, I was using a jacket BCD at the time, so the whole thing was uncomfortable for me personally. I went directly from jacket BCD to the SS plate BP/W and loved it. Immediately felt more comfortable diving despite the initial awkwardness of re-learning how to use a BC. It wasn't that difficult -- just different! I feel having weight evenly distributed across my back instead of being #s of lead on my waist and/or cam bands made a huge difference for my comfortability in the water.

I think it's worth webbing up your SS plate to try out for a dive or two. You can always bring the aluminum plate along as a backup if it's not your thing. Like with any new equipment, just make sure you try it out at a dive site you're familiar with and let your buddy know you're test driving a new setup :)

I'm currently 4 days out from flying to a new dive job for the summer, so might have to order the harness materials to that site. I might try that STA that was recommended too. I'm a pretty short person and most of my height is in my legs, so maybe I need a shorter plate. I'll see how an STA looks and goes. At this point I'm used to the first stage, but it definitely doesn't help that I've now been conditioned to do a caver's frog kick with my knees bent 90 degrees and having to arch my neck and head up as a matter of course. Other than that, the BP/W is incredibly comfortable compared to a jacket.

I'm currently 4 days out from flying to a new dive job for the summer, so might have to order the harness materials to that site. I might try that STA that was recommended too. I'm a pretty short person and most of my height is in my legs, so maybe I need a shorter plate. I'll see how an STA looks and goes. At this point I'm used to the first stage, but it definitely doesn't help that I've now been conditioned to do a caver's frog kick with my knees bent 90 degrees and having to arch my neck and head up as a matter of course. Other than that, the BP/W is incredibly comfortable compared to a jacket.
Any chance that you are diving a DIN first stage with a yoke adapter on a yoke tank valve? If so, that usually moves the 1st stage a little closer to the back of your head. If there is any opportunity to reconfigure that may help.

Any chance that you are diving a DIN first stage with a yoke adapter on a yoke tank valve? If so, that usually moves the 1st stage a little closer to the back of your head. If there is any opportunity to reconfigure that may help.

That is exactly what I dive. I pretty much always see yoke tanks here in the US but wanted to keep my flexibility for other jobs and research if I end up having to use DIN tanks. I'm not sure if reconfiguring is possible for the regs themselves without rotating my first stage around, but that pulls my hoses back and/or blocks good access to the tank valve.

That is exactly what I dive. I pretty much always see yoke tanks here in the US but wanted to keep my flexibility for other jobs and research if I end up having to use DIN tanks. I'm not sure if reconfiguring is possible for the regs themselves without rotating my first stage around, but that pulls my hoses back and/or blocks good access to the tank valve.

In this case, I will basically take back all my advices above. What you really need is a native yoke 1 stage. My personal opinion is getting DIN 1st stage, thinking with yoke adapter, you can cover it all is a bad advice. You should get what you are diving with most of the time. If you have DIN with yoke adapter on most of the time, it is the worst of both world most of the time. I made this mistake myself for my 1st reg. Then switching to Yoke native for single tank setup. I have never find yoke tank isn't available in vacation spots.

Here is are two pictures of the same regulator, one with native yoke, one with DIN on yoke adapter. You can see there is 1+" difference. Even with the steepest band plate + STA, you won't gain that 1" back.

upload_2019-6-8_16-52-56.png

upload_2019-6-8_16-53-8.png

See if your new summer dive job has DIN valves you can use for the duration. There is a pretty good chance you have at least occasionally used your DIN plus yoke adapter 1st stage on a DIN valve with a yoke insert rather taking advantage of the DIN. An insert on a convertible valve can be removed with the proper hex wrench.

In this case, I will basically take back all my advices above. What you really need is a native yoke 1 stage. My personal opinion is getting DIN 1st stage, thinking with yoke adapter, you can cover it all is a bad advice. You should get what you are diving with most of the time. If you have DIN with yoke adapter on most of the time, it is the worst of both world most of the time. I made this mistake myself for my 1st reg. Then switching to Yoke native for single tank setup. I have never find yoke tank isn't available in vacation spots.

Here is are two pictures of the same regulator, one with native yoke, one with DIN on yoke adapter. You can see there is 1+" difference. Even with the steepest band plate + STA, you won't gain that 1" back.

View attachment 523287

View attachment 523288

Most of the tanks I use are able to be DIN or yoke (so far at least). Most of my diving from here on will likely be job/research related, not big vacation spots, and I've heard horror stories from the DSO at my uni of divers who had to scramble to change their rig because the gear at the site wasn't very adaptable. Normally I just forget that I have on an adapter and go yoke, so maybe I'll try just going DIN completely. I managed to minimize the head restriction by sliding my tank farther down until the cam band is right on the edge of the tank's straight section. With a bit of BC adjustment at depth, I can normally slip my tank so it's more over one shoulder than the other if I absolutely need to look straight up without sacrificing good buoyancy control or trim.

Even though I haven't used it yet, I do like having the flexibility despite the extra size. I guess only time will tell if that changes, but thank you for all your tips and advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom