Best BCD, and Regulator for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And to be clear, the Lotus has been discontinued for at least 2-3 years, maybe longer. Current Aqualung women's models are Pearl and Soul. So if you go searching for a Lotus it will either be a lucky find close-out item from someone that still has one, or you will be shopping for used.

The Aqualung Lotus is still available on Aqualung’s website - my LDS ordered it from Aqualung directly less than 6-months ago.

Lotus

The Aqualung Lotus is still available on Aqualung’s website - my LDS ordered it from Aqualung directly less than 6-months ago.

Lotus
Right you are, my bad. I was thinking of a completely different item. The Lotus is back inflation, the women’s version of the Dimension. I forgot all about that until you corrected me.

Right you are, my bad. I was thinking of a completely different item. The Lotus is back inflation, the women’s version of the Dimension. I forgot all about that until you corrected me.

No worries! I had to look it up - you had me worried for a minute that the LDS did something shady LOL

What do you personally suggest that would be better than the Brut?

If you thought the Brut was decent, I love my Sherwood Blizzard. It is of course, balanced and environmentally sealed, so you can use it anywhere. Like the Brut, it's a workhorse. I prefer fewer moving parts in regs like the Brut and Blizzard for reliability.

I recommend that you try a backplate and wing, which is infinitely adjustable to any body type or height. If you gain or lose weight, no worries, loosen or tighten the harness. Your tank will be more stable cushioned by the wing and it will make it easier to maintain trim while diving. A women's back-inflate BC has some similarities, but it will not support the tank any more than any other jacket; it likely has floaty neoprene sround you that you have to wear more weight for; jackets tend to trap more air between them and your body that is harder to release; and jackets are harder to vent fully, all potentially leading to wearing more weight to compensate. There are many good reasons to choose a bp/w over a jacket. :)

Another +1 for BP/W. I think it's great for anyone whatever shape, size or gender you may be!

I used to rent jacket BCs when I started diving back in September. It always felt like I was getting an awkward hug walking to the shore and I had a lot of trouble with my buoyancy using it under water. It may not be for everyone, same with BP/W, but I love my Dive Rite BP/W setup! Like @LandonL and @Ayisha said, the customization is key. I love that it's as simple as some webbing, a stainless steel plate, and a wing. You can always trim or re-web it if need be. Here's what it looks like from the front:
lb.jpeg

It's amazing how freeing it is to simply clip things off to my D rings like my light and SPG. Additionally, I love the fact that I was able to easily remove 5lbs of lead just by getting the stainless steel backplate. ** I don't know about you, but the less lead the better in my opinion. It took me around 5-10 dives to dial everything in and feel comfortable enough to start trimming the webbing as needed. 100% worth it.

As for the reg, I have the Atomic M1 and love it. Not specific for any diver - I just liked the build quality and that it only requires service every 2 years/300 dives. I found it breathes better for me personally than other regs I rented in the past.

Hope this helps. let me know if you have any questions :) Good luck in your search

** edit: to be clear, I shed 5lbs of lead off my waist/cam band by switching to a SS backplate. I still carry the 5lbs, however, it’s evenly distributed on my SS plate and I barely notice it.

Guys, let's me more objective. Bp/w does NOT automatically make trim and bouyancy better. It does hold tank more secured and hold the rig onto the diver more secured.

It also does not make you carry less weight, it just shift 5lb from lead to the SS plate.

It is more customizable, sure. Infinitely adjustable, sure. But it isn't one size fit all. For shorter and taller divers, different size plates will still be more suitable.

As with everything else, there are advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I am a bp/w diver since 2009. I would recommend whole heartly. But I also know more than several people who started with bp/w and ended up with something else which fits their diving better.

Guys, let's me more objective. Bp/w does NOT automatically make trim and bouyancy better. It does hold tank more secured and hold the rig onto the diver more secured.

It also does not make you carry less weight, it just shift 5lb from lead to the SS plate.

It is more customizable, sure. Infinitely adjustable, sure. But it isn't one size fit all. For shorter and taller divers, different size plates will still be more suitable.

As with everything else, there are advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I am a bp/w diver since 2009. I would recommend whole heartly. But I also know more than several people who started with bp/w and ended up with something else which fits their diving better.

I apologize for any confusion! To clarify — I rather wear 5lbs of weight evenly distributed on a SS plate than an extra 5lbs on my waist or cam band. I felt much heavier with that weight pre-BP/W even though I was diving the exact same weight. May not be the case with everyone — just my experience with it.

For trim, it wasn’t automatically fixed like changing any dive equipment, yet it was significantly easier for me once I made the switch. I don’t see myself switching back to a jacket anytime soon.

I'm thinking that the Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD is looking very good to me. Ah, except for the price.

I've been diving a Scubapro Ladyhawk for a number of years after rejecting backplate and wing for my own diving. I've been very happy with it save some very minor items that should just be considered a tradeoff no matter which bcd system one ends up with.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I ended up trying about a dozen on and I went with the ScubaPro Ladyhawk. My boyfriend however went with the BP&W, he really like the way it felt and how simple it was. Now I just have to get use to diving with a back inflate, in the past I've only wore jackets. I think I'll play with it in the pool for a few days before taking it to the boat.
As for the regulator I ended up going with the SP S560/MK 21 combination. I think that was the hardest choice out of everything lol.

Back
Top Bottom