Best area of the Dominican Republic (DR) for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minnesnowta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hubby and I are considering a visit to the Dominican Republic for a budget-conscious scuba trip in the offseason.

I did a little preliminary research, but am a little overwhelmed with all the different areas of the D.R.!

What is the best area of the country to dive?

Thanks in advance for your help! Much appreciated!

Most of the divers will tell you that the best diving is around Bayahibe, the Caribbean coast. The Punta Cana area and the north coast are by Atlantic ocean. So if you like wavy ocean, choose the north or east, if you prefer the calm blue Caribean sea, then Bayahibe is for you the best.

Thank you so much DR Sharky! We were looking at a map and also thinking about the Boca Chica/Juan Dolio area. What are your thoughts on that region?

I can vouch for the Bayahibe area. I have been to the Dominican Republic 3 times in the last few years and the diving in Bayahibe is WAY better than anywhere else.

Neat! Thanks guys.

Something I don't quite understand is how to get transportation from the airport to different areas of the country, such as Bayahibe. I've heard there are buses that can take you for like, $10, but that seems crazy cheap to me...almost too good to be true. Can you confirm/deny?

The bus price is correct BUT is not as simple. To get from Punta Can airport you have to take a taxi to the bus stop (around 10 USD), from there take a bus to Higuey and then La Romana - this is the 10 USD price (unless they have a new bus route direct from Punta Cana to La Romana on the new highway, but so far haven't heard about it), from La Romana bus station take a taxi to Bayahibe (around 40 USD), the whole trip will take you about half day if you get good connections. If you just take a taxi from PC airport directly, you will be in Bayahibe in 35 - 40 minutes and the price is 110 USD per taxi for up to 5 people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom