Best and worst random liveaboard roommate you've had

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a firm believer that if you "expect the worst" you will ultimately find it. When I'm on vacation, I don't let anything bother me. When I'm diving, I don't let anything bother me. If you try to find something that will bother you... you will. Especially if you're looking for something about a person that will bother you.

PS - I think it's funny that all these threads are about "I don't want to be stuck with an a-hole roommate on a liveaboard..." but I've never seen one that asked "how can I avoid being an a-hole roommate on a liveaboard?" Does anyone ever consider that it's entirely possible that THEY might be the "problem" roommate?

:d

'just in case you're starting to think it's all supermodels and BFF's, and nothing can bother you...

I'm batting .500 for my 2 solo LA trips.
1 - I lucked into a solo room (the tiny one, so good thing).
2 - Quad room (very tight) with 3 "roommates" 2 of which were 10 year-olds trapped in 35 year-old bodies.

Here are a few tip's on avoiding being an "AHR"
1. Do not come to bed at 2AM so drunk that you can't shut-up and go to sleep.
2. Do not step-on, pull-on, or try to get in bed with your bunk mate.
3. Do not take a massive dump in the group head, and leave it because you're proud or think it's funny.
4. Farting contests are never funny in a confined space.
5. Pillow fights, really?

Fortunately, the cushions on deck and a blanket make for a nice camp-out under the stars...

Always travel solo, have ended up in my own room more than 50% of the time. The other times have had no issues at all. I snore, but not seriously, find most people do to some degree so have never found it to be an issue. As someone else said there is enough background noise on a boat that if snoring is going to keep you up you are not getting any sleep anyway.

Found that the further you go off the beaten track the fewer idiots you find. Cheap 3 day liveaboards attract a different crowd than one that does 10 days at Raja Ampat for example. Not going to find too many people spending that kind of $ to spend the week drunk and partying.

I would go expecting to end up with a roommate that is likely going to be somewhat compatible. The population that dives, and spends a week or more on a boat diving 4 and 5 times a day is quite a small slice of the population and most of them are quite similar people. They all love to dive.

'just in case you're starting to think it's all supermodels and BFF's, and nothing can bother you...

I'm batting .500 for my 2 solo LA trips.
1 - I lucked into a solo room (the tiny one, so good thing).
2 - Quad room (very tight) with 3 "roommates" 2 of which were 10 year-olds trapped in 35 year-old bodies.

Here are a few tip's on avoiding being an "AHR"
1. Do not come to bed at 2AM so drunk that you can't shut-up and go to sleep.
2. Do not step-on, pull-on, or try to get in bed with your bunk mate.
3. Do not take a massive dump in the group head, and leave it because you're proud or think it's funny.
4. Farting contests are never funny in a confined space.
5. Pillow fights, really?

Fortunately, the cushions on deck and a blanket make for a nice camp-out under the stars...

Lol, that made my day!

This didn't happen on a liveaboard, but I have been assigned several buddies to room with that I have never met before. All of them were positive experiences except for one which turned out to be the roommate from hell. Let me say that the positive experiences were great. We didn't invade each other's space, had a place for our gear to be kept, respected each other's choice in AC temp, kept the room neat and took turns over who got to shower first. We had fun meeting each other and sharing our mutual love of diving.

Now for the really ugly. On one trip I got assigned to a room with a crazy woman. We were about the same age but we were from totally different planets. She began by telling me that she got up around 6 and had to read for an hour in total silence or her day "was ruined". She said she also liked to have coffee when she read. She said, "I have an idea, you can go get our coffee and bring it back to the room". I told her I didn't drink coffee and she would have to get her own. She also told me she set her clock at 3 am so she could get up and go to the bathroom. I was wondering why you would need to set the clock, most people get up to pee when their bladder is full, but sure enough, the alarm went off at 3 am.

We each had a shelf in the bathroom. She told me she had forgotten her razor. I told her I didn't have a spare (which I would have given to her) but they sold some at the resort. Well, she went ahead and used mine any way. This was the first day of the trip. Discovered it after my morning dives. Guess who went off and bought a new razor?

I woke up the first night hot, sweaty and feeling like I was going to suffocate. She had turned off the AC, the fans and the windows were closed. In Honduras. She was huddled under the blankets with her head covered up. I got my flashlight and turned it back on. I told her the next morning that we needed to discuss this and that I would get her extra blankets, but we would be sleeping with the AC on. Sure enough, she turned it off the next night. She also left her suitcase in the middle of the floor and got mad when I put it under a bench where her stuff was stored.

The following evening (day 2), she flipped out, screaming at me, ranting around the room about the AC and how I was "disturbing" her, and "messing with her stuff", throwing her hands in the air. Scared the crap out of me since I was already lying in the bed and it was after midnight. Then she calmly got in bed, turned off the light and went to sleep. I slept in the hammock on the porch with my Boy Scout knife in my hand. In the morning while she was at breakfast, I packed up my things and had my luggage outside the door. I went to the office and told them I couldn't last another 5 nights with a crazy woman and to assign me to any free space available. I was assigned to another room with one of my male dive buddies. I was glad he agreed to share his room.

This woman managed to alienate 14 people on the trip in a matter of days. Her behavior on the dive boat was equally bizarre. As one buddy was getting ready to take his giant stride, she ran up to "check his air" and turned it off. She accused the DM of stealing her mask and accused all of us of some sort of assault or theft. Fortunately, I have never had to experience any one like her again.

My situation was extreme and probably a rare one. If you find yourself with someone you can't deal with, try to talk it out and if that doesn't work, negotiate with the Captain. I don't think you will have a problem so go ahead and try it.

I have been on several live aboards & can generally get along with just about anyone. The worst room mate I had was in the Galapagos (had to also room with her in Malaysisa, since we were the only single females on the trip). She is a very high maintenance princess. She travels with her parents most of the time. During Malaysia it was a constant "daddy, can you do this", "Daddy, can you do that", "daddy, daddy daddy,......." This from a 30 yr old woman. It drove everybody nuts. In the Galapagos, she got in the face of the trip leader, yelling at him because the Panga (zodiac) we were on didn't see a whale shark on the first dive, like the other one did. Reminds me of Verusa Salt in "Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory", stomping her foot demanding she wanted things "NOW!". Sigh.........

I realize that the "horror stories" are rare, few and far between, but I gotta admit - they scare me - Yikes. Although as someone pointed out; there's always the deck.

<<when the bar closes at midnight carry on and whine and stomp around the boat and when they finally go to bed they piss in it?>> There goes my interest in running a liveaboard.

I have been on a few boats as a single and never paid the supplement, though I have gotten a couple rooms to myself by chance. Besides the woman on my first trip who apparently didn't like me purely because I looked too youthful to be on such a trip (though I was probably as old as she was but she never bothered to find out; also the same person who ate directly from the pie tin put out for everyone on the boat), it's been easy. The most memorable one was the former nuclear submarine commander (!). Though trying my best to get along with all, since I was a single, I didn't make it past day one with this guy. I, mistakenly apparently, expressed specific knowledge, however gently, in the subject of computers (which I work on daily) and that was it. He was the authoritarian in everything to the rest of the boat, usually about subjects he had little actual knowledge in, but he never spoke to me again unless necessary. Part of it was, in response to him complaining to me about his laptop running slow as it laid directly on the bed with cooling vents closed, my pointing out that overheating the system with vents closed would cause the processor to throttle down. (I thought it might be Eureka moment for him, but apparently nobody tells the captain anything)

Although as someone pointed out; there's always the deck.
Ah, the deck...

I was on the Telita in Papua New Guinea. We moored close to the jungle one night, with the stern tied to a tree and the anchor keeping the bow pointed seaward. The only head on the Telita was on the main deck. I got up in the middle of the night to use the head—barefoot, of course—and found the deck at least an inch deep in termite-like insects, apparently attracted by the ship's lights. There really weren't any viable options at the time, as there was some urgency to my errand, so I shuffled through them. I opened the door to the head to find it similarly inhabited. I brushed them off the seat, used the toilet, and went back to bed. I'm really glad I wasn't sleeping on the deck that night.

&#8212;and found the deck at least an inch deep in termite-like insects, apparently attracted by the ship's lights. There really weren't any viable options at the time, as there was some urgency to my errand, so I shuffled through them. I opened the door to the head to find it similarly inhabited.

OK, there goes my live-aboard dreams :wink:

My two bad roommate situations both occurred when I was on a trip sponsored by a local dive shop. I was going as a single because my wife does not dive. They were going as singles because they were middle aged bachelors whose previous spouses had left them, evidently with good reason.

Being a roommate was really not all that bad. We managed because we spent little time in the rooms. The problem was that everyone else on the trip was paired up, so we were naturally made dive buddies. The first one lasted two days. He was a photographer who would be happy to spend the entire dive taking 100 pictures of the same specimen. (He never went that far, but it sure felt like it.)At that point the very observant skipper talked the guy into going diving with him so he could give him some photography tips. I joined another pair to make a threesome for the rest of the trip.

I stayed with the other guy for the whole trip, but I could take up much of a thread relating some of his marine idiocies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom