Best and safer alternative to talc for Silicone drysuit seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,
I just got my new Seaskin Nova drysuit in. Great looking and fitting suit. French talc came with the suit. I used to use talc for my old Pinnacle EVO 2 suit, that had latex seals. I've been doing some research and found that talc can contain asbestos. I don't want to get anywhere near that since I'm a cancer survivor.

This is the first suit I've had that uses silicone seals. What would be a good alternative for talc that would be safer for me and safe for the silicone seals to help me get in and out of suit easier?

Thanks for any info.

I don’t use a thing on my seals, latex and silicone. Talc is a PITA.

My latex seals are always treated with UV Tech after being washed after the dive. Silicone seals just get washed and dried.

You can use talc in a bag and just rub it on the seal, it doesn’t take much and if you don’t shake it it won’t become airborne, an alternative is a liquid lube like people use to help slide a non-lined wetsuit on, like hair diluted conditioner.

What would be a good alternative for talc that would be safer for me and safe for the silicone seals to help me get in and out of suit easier?

Corn starch.

-Z

Suit Snot - Hair conditioner diluted 50/50 with water. Corn starch is also good if you want something dry. I use a small pump spray bottle. If you put it on your wrists prior to removing the suit the seals slide right off with no stressing of them.

Water based lube, the adult kind.

Ha ha, I was also going to suggest Durex lube as that is what me and my buddy use .... be prepared to get comments if you don't remove the label.

I use wetsuit shampoo in a spray bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom