Beqa Lagoon - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am leaving for Fiji in 10 days going to Beqa Lagoon Resort for a week. I am going with a group and some of the folks have been there before. We are set up for all the diving, and will do some land activities as well. But for those of you who have been there-

1. What did you take that you never needed?
  2. What didn't you take that you wish you had taken?
  3. What activity did you do there that you wish you hadn't?
  4. What did you not do that you wish you had?

Of course any other advide is greatly appreciated.

Bula! You will love it. Don't need much clothes wise, but if you go on a village visit women should bring something to cover shoulders and knees. If you like birds/bugs/critters bring some binoculars. Bring some water/hiking shoes that have some "grip" on wet surfaces - hikes to falls can be slippery. Wished I'd done more shore diving, though can be a treck with low tides.

Take some bug spray or buy some of the natural spray that they sell there all over. DO THE SHARK DIVE! Do not miss that!! Have fun!!

You will have a wet landing at the resort so make sure you have appropriate foot wear as the bottom can be rough. Do not take any food between meals unless your aware of the price. If you are a hearty eater you may not be satisfied. The meals were reasonable size but you get what you get. Do the land activities. Bring gifts for the villagers if you plan on going to one. Toothpaste, school supplies, Basic type items or ask the resort directly what if anything you should bring. Villages we've visited all greatly appreciated gifts of any kind. You will have a 3 hour bus ride to the transfer boat so be ready to sit for awhile.

Thanks All. Now to hope that the recent storm did not do much damage, and the the seas calm down before we get there.

Was there recently and greatly enjoyed it. I agree with the other post. Bring school supplys paper, pencils,etc. The people there are the most welcoming individuals I have ever met. Do take slip resestent shoes if you are going to hike to the falls. Worth the hike, beautful! Alsodo some shore dives We did some, they will take you out by small boat to where they mor the dive boats. Let you off and you dive back to the shore. We saw lots of interesting critters. Hope this was heqlpful.

Thanks!

Also know that you will need t pay to visit a village. And you cannot walk around without getting the Chief's permission.
I would also bring heavy duty antibiotics. Had the misfortune of getting a poisonous centipede bite (in my cabin) and got really sick. Ended up having it lanced and super duty antibiotics once I was back in the states.

The resort was exceptional. A few hiccups (the resident manager was ill and there was a temp for a couple days), and it is not the Ritz if that is what you are looking for. But we weren't so I would go back in a heartbeat! Amazing diving (we did get washed out of the shark dive - 10ft viz and 6-8 ft seas), great food and the people are the friendliest I have ever met. Our room was clean and comfortable.

Also know that you will need to pay to visit a village. And you cannot walk around without getting the Chief's permission.
I would also bring heavy duty antibiotics. Had the misfortune of getting a poisonous centipede bite (in my cabin) and got really sick. Ended up having it lanced and super duty antibiotics once I was back in the states.

I can appreciate the bug bite- you are still on a tropical island and that is not the resort's fault. We didn't have to pay to visit the village or the school (although we did donate to the school), and it was really a highlight. I appreciate that they have not left their culture because of the tourism. Due to the new airline regs we could only take one bag at 50 lbs and one carry on at 15 pounds- so no goodies for the school and the kids.

Did I mention I would go back?

The only thing we underestimated was the mosquito population. Got quite a few bites. I'd have packed more repellent.

The diving was great. I can't wait to go back.

Back
Top Bottom