Beqa Fiji Sept 2009 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've convinced me to buy a small dry bag. Can't hurt and will probably come in handy. :)

Keep all the suggestions, pictures, and information coming....we can't wait until next July when we get to spend 2 glorious weeks at this special place. :D

You won't be sorry! Hit my web site for three years worth of pictures and stories! Video is also up of the land and sea beauty of Beqa!

480__MG_0017_Beqa_Lagoon_Resort_Fiji_07.jpg

Sas, Thanks for taking the time to write a GREAT trip report and video. Our dive group was planning on going to Beqa next October, but I am such a weenie about the cold I think I might go at a different time!

Beqa is in Saspotato's blood now and she will go back, you can't help it! It is the way the charm of the Fijian people works! Once, they had you for dinner and now they will have you over for dinner!

Saspotato -- Great trip report! My BF and I are headed to Beqa in January, but we are staying at Lalati, not BLR. I hope that we have as great a trip as you guys did. Awesome pics!!

On a related note, we are heading there next month, and I was wondering what is appropriate in terms of the local custom for tipping. After hearing mention of all the work the dive support folks do at BLR, I want to make sure not to commit a faux pas in terms of how they're thanked. This question applies to all areas: dive staff, hotel staff, etc.

Thanks!

On a related note, we are heading there next month, and I was wondering what is appropriate in terms of the local custom for tipping. After hearing mention of all the work the dive support folks do at BLR, I want to make sure not to commit a faux pas in terms of how they're thanked. This question applies to all areas: dive staff, hotel staff, etc.

Thanks!

Tipping is not usual in Fiji and we were asked not to tip staff individually whilst we were at BLR (as they said a lot of the behind the scenes staff miss out even though they are a big part of keeping the resort running smoothly). Instead at the end you can leave a tip towards their Christmas fund. I didn't tip anywhere else.

You can tip with goods! Leave your batteries for the house keepers, take baby clothes, take school supplies, cheap crank flashlights are wonderful on an island with very little electricity! Take old dive gear for the dive boys! I have left fins, booties, hoods, or just about anything they can't buy! :wink: Gifts will get you a long way!

Sunglasses are another thing we can buy cheap. They are practical and very light and easy to pack. Thanks for some great suggestions PB the crank flashlights are a brilliant idea!

Back
Top Bottom