Bent in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaresMan1:
Agreed, however even if you use 60' for 70+ min, you run into NDL limits. Going any deeper adds to the issue. Please correct me if I am off course.

True, if you tried to do a dive to 60' for the entire 70 mins, you would be breaking the 60' NDL. My point was, the actual time at maximum depth is much, much less than the total bottom time.

So if your using a computer, it is calculating your NDL based on your realtime actual depth, not the maximum depth achieved on that dive.

We do dives to 60' for 70 minutes or more all the time. Our time at 60' is much less than 70 minutes. Most of the time is spent shallower than 60'. See what i'm getting at?

Thanks for posting your story. Wow! I learned a lot from reading what happed to you. Very scary. You always think "it will never happen to me". You just never know.

gedunk:
True, if you tried to do a dive to 60' for the entire 70 mins, you would be breaking the 60' NDL. My point was, the actual time at maximum depth is much, much less than the total bottom time.

So if your using a computer, it is calculating your NDL based on your realtime actual depth, not the maximum depth achieved on that dive.

We do dives to 60' for 70 minutes or more all the time. Our time at 60' is much less than 70 minutes. Most of the time is spent shallower than 60'. See what i'm getting at?

Gedunk,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand your meaning of BT to Depth. I think the thing that got me going was the statement "Most of the dive spent between 60 and 80 feet. Duration 70+ minutes."

Still makes me wonder about the computer variances. Guess that is why the Suunto and Mares are so conservative.

Thanks,

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

Okay more info. . .some would say too much info:
1) I was urinating normally both days. Color was yellower first thing in the morning (normal) and clear for the remainder of the day. I know what to look for and I was not dehydrated by this indicator, however, in the future I will be drinking a lot more. I don't think you can over-emphasize the point that hydration is the easiest thing you can control before you get in the water to make your dive safe.
2) Ascent rates. I never violated the ascent warning on the Suunto. If you have ever dove with Aldora you know they come up slooooowly because of the extended bottom time. You spend two minutes at 100 feet, three minutes at 90 feet, five minutes at 80 feet, seven minutes at 70 feet, etc. The ascent is geared so that a majority of your time is spent at shallower depths.
3) Sawtooth. I am aware of the risk of sawtooth and do not do it no matter what the computer says.
4) I would love to download my profile but I can't. Neither of computers has that capacity. Sorry.

It's been 15 months since my last chamber ride... :11:

Tim, thank you for sharing your story and welcome the “club.” Seriously though, I am very glad to hear that you are recovering and that you “only” had to take two rides in the chamber. Your story is a valuable lesson and reminder to all of us.

Heidi and Pascual (Dr. Piccolo) are great. Dr. Piccolo has been practicing hyperbaric medicine here in Cozumel for over 20 years. He is very blunt and tells you like it is, but he knows what he is talking about.

I think the fact that Aldora has offered you a complimentary Nitrox course is also very admirable. Even though this was not the “fault” of anyone there, I think it’s a very nice gesture and shows their commitment to safety. I am impressed with that and will do the same in the event that one of my divers goes through this.

I went through the same thing in December (Christmas Day) 2002. I was ashamed of it at first and tried to keep it quiet, but when it happened to me, people (other diving professionals on and off the island) came out of the woodwork with support and encouragement. The reality is that a majority of the cases here in Cozumel are divemasters, instructors and commercial spear fishermen. We are “high-risk” divers. It makes sense, we are ALWAYS in the water, constantly subjecting ourselves to excessive absorption.

For those of us who are instructors, we subject ourselves to other risk factors like several ascents per day in some cases. You would probably be surprised at how many of us have “visited” the chamber. Since then, I let my story be a reminder to myself and my divers that we can never be too careful, and that it DOES and CAN happen to anyone.

My initial symptoms were also flu-like symptoms, body aches (no localized joint pain), extreme fatigue (that I contributed to how hard I was working). I was in denial at this point (2 days before Christmas). Fortunately for me, I had no dives scheduled Christmas Eve day because my group was taking the day off. I spent that day in bed, barely able to wake up and barely able to move :06: ...again, thinking I had the flu...but no fever. That evening, (Christmas Eve) and feeling terrible, I went to have dinner and spend the holiday with my local "family." Several people made comments that I was “spacey” and “glassy eyed” and not myself . Several also made comments that I may be bent :06: , but I ignored them (sort of). I had no alcohol and was barely able to eat because I KNEW that one drop would put me out. I spent all of Christmas day in bed, progressively getting worse (ding, ding, ding). I started noticing localized joint pain, numbness and tingling (ding, ding, ding). I knew at that point what was going on. I probably suspected it before that, but I was obviously in denial. I made a decision that I would call the Dr. the following morning (it WAS Christmas Day after all...I didn’t want to bother Heidi and Pascual…BIG mistake). I woke up the following morning with no feeling on my right side...at all (BINGO…I’m BENT…and BAD). By mid-morning I was taking a long ride in the chamber (US Navy table 6). I felt immediate relief while at 60 feet, and when ascending to the 30 foot mark, symptoms started to return. Yep, clear sign that I was bent. You’re right, it basically SUCKED.

I spent the next day at table 6, and the next day too. Finally, on the fourth day, I “only” had to do a table 5…but I did that for several days. I had 9 treatments in all. My bill…over $40K. DAN paid their portion of the claim within 90 days (I previously thought 60 days, but was corrected). Fortunately for me, since I am a local and live here, I didn’t have to pay this up front…they filed my claim for me and I authorized payment directly to the Dr.

*side note: DAN has recently reduced policy limits for dive professionals in Mexico to $3000 (this another story entirely that I will not get into here)

I suffered a neurological hit and have permanent damage in my right arm (although not debilitating). Had I gotten immediate treatment, obviously I would have been in MUCH better shape.

My discharge instructions were no diving for at least 6 months (I stayed out almost 8), no alcohol, no heavy exercise for a month, weekly follow-ups for the first month, and nitrox ONLY on air tables when returning to diving, and to watch bottom times.

What do I do differently now?
  • I dive Nitrox on every dive unless I am planning a deeper dive and I use air settings on my computers
  • I drink A LOT of water all the time
  • I drink A LOT of water all the time
  • I get plenty of rest before I dive
  • I do deep stops regardless of what my computer(s) say
  • I do long safety stops regardless of what my computer(s) say
  • I do long surface intervals (minimum 1.5 to 2 hours)
  • I watch my bottom times (trying never to exceed an hour)
  • I make sure I am warm with appropriate thermal protection
  • I ascend very slowly
  • I don’t dive everyday…I have a staff and I make sure they take time off too
  • If I do not feel 100%, I don’t dive…period!

Does this mean that I won’t get bent again? Absolutely not, but it will reduce the risks significantly.

The thing about decompression theory is that it is just that, THEORY. It is not a perfect science and we are still learning more and more about it.

I would like to add to the depth/time etc. discussion. Whether most of the dive was spent at 100 feet or 50 or 60 feet,you are still absorbing nitrogen and you should keep this in mind.

Remember Henry's Law? It states that the amount of gas (nitrogen in this case) that will dissolve into a liquid at a given temperature is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas. While depth is definitely a factor to consider, the TIME at depth is actuallly just as important (if not more), as is the temperature of the water. The amount of nitrogen absorbed by a diver is directly related to depth AND duration. While deeper depths equate to faster absorption, longer times at shallower depths can have virtually the same effects because your body has more time to absorb the nitrogen as long as you are breathing compressed air under pressure (whether at 10 or 20 feet or 100 feet). So long bottom times at shallower depths are not necessarily safer.

I am not criticizing those shops who advertise longer bottom times or those who enjoy them. Actually, we routinely do 50 - 60 minute+ dives with the AL 80's. The point I am trying to make, is that just because you are shallower, does not mean you are safer...and just because you are deeper, does not mean you are in more danger. It is the combination of time and depth, as well as surface times, etc. that should be factored in when planning your dive or reading your computer.

Another very important thing to consider is warmth. If you are chilled and doing long bottom times...get out of the water. Do not stay down to get your long bottom time if you are cold, it's just not worth it. I'm not talking about the tolerance for being cold, I am talking about the additional and significant risk you add to getting "hit" if you are cold.

Tim, when you get back into the water, it will be scary, but you will have an entirely new appreciation for the sport. If you’re like me, you will be concerned with every little ache and pain after diving for awhile, but you KNOW what it’s like now and you KNOW how your body feels. Trust me, you will know your body ALOT netter now no matter how well you thought you knew it before.

Sorry this was so long, but this topic needs to be brought up and remembered sometimes.

Thanks again for sharing your story Tim! Take care of yourself!

Tim & Christi - I appreciate your honesty and care you have taken in reporting your experiences - thank you. I wish you both the best.

I wonder - can this thread, or perhaps just Tim & Christi's stories be a sticky post somewhere? The newer divers that find this board would be well served by reading these posts...

Yes, I will stick it now..for a few weeks.
Thanks Christi..and Tim..once again..very brave, very helpful to many.

Natasha:
Yes, I will stick it now..for a few weeks.
Thanks Christi..and Tim..once again..very brave, very helpful to many.
Would it be better to make it sticky in the New 2 Scuba, or Accidents and Incidents forums? While this happened in Coz, it certainly isn't specific to only that area. I know I'm being a pain - sorry...

gj62:
Would it be better to make it sticky in the New 2 Scuba, or Accidents and Incidents forums? While this happened in Coz, it certainly isn't specific to only that area. I know I'm being a pain - sorry...

I know it's a violation of policy to have the same thread or post in different forums (fora?), but is there a way to have a link or pointer to this thread posted in other places where this would be of interest? I agree with gj62 that folks that don't come here regularly or at all could benefit from it, but if it were over in "Accidents" (or wherever) I'd never have seen it at all.

Tim,

I also have a Oceanic VEO 200. You mentioned that it does not have the capacity to print out a dive profile. My computer is about a year old and has a female jack on the left side of the computer. Yesterday at the local dive shop, I saw the cable and software that can be purchased to go with the computer to print out the profile. It prints out in blue, every time you go up, and every time you go down. It even prints the line in red each time you exceed an upward movement of 30' per minute. I saw a sample printout at the shop and considered buying it. I did not check the price. Does your VEO 200 not have this connection on the side of it. I'm wondering if it's a new option that I just got lucky to have on mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom