Benefits of painted Faber steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunny_diver

Registered
Reaction score
What benefits do painted Faber steel tanks have over hot dipped galvanized ones?

I once heard that HDG tanks rarely fail hydro because of the pre-stretching procedure. It seems that painted tanks could be safer since a flaw wouldn't be masked by that procedure. In other words, painted tanks could fail hydro when they should vs. HDG tanks which pass hydro when they shouldn't.

Sometimes I wonder if HDG is offered because that's what the market wants, but manufacturers think painted is better.

I wish I could call Faber to ask, but they don't seem to be easily reachable.

The pre-stretching procedure doesn't mask defects. It is the manufacturer required procedure and is completely legit. Worthington requires the same. It is not "rigging the system" but is required to actually prevent unnecessary failures, not to hide an issue that could be there.

As to the benefits of painted over HDG? None that I can see. I have always preferred HDG. I currently own 4 Worthington and 2 Faber HDG tanks. Far superior to painted, especially in salt water, IMO.

Galvanized tanks are usually heavier than painted steels. I much prefer painted steels in SM configuration since I feel the buoyancy characteristics are better. In BM configuration it doesn't really matter as much to me and I have used both. I would not be concerned about which one is "safer" - they are both manufactured according to standards and I've never heard of any issues with one or the other failing due to being painted or HDG. The paint will flake and scratch over time which some people don't like for cosmetic reasons, but aesthetics is the last thing I am worried about in my diving.

What benefits do painted Faber steel tanks have over hot dipped galvanized ones?

I once heard that HDG tanks rarely fail hydro because of the pre-stretching procedure. It seems that painted tanks could be safer since a flaw wouldn't be masked by that procedure. In other words, painted tanks could fail hydro when they should vs. HDG tanks which pass hydro when they shouldn't.

Sometimes I wonder if HDG is offered because that's what the market wants, but manufacturers think painted is better.

I wish I could call Faber to ask, but they don't seem to be easily reachable.
You seem to be confused about the hydro aspect.
Neither painted nor galvanized have any effect on the tank passing or failing hydro. The pre stretch is done to soften up the galvanizing to allow the tank to be tested accurately. It isn't needed on 99% of them. It was an issue that presented on the old Worthington galvanized tanks with their very thick and heavy galvanizing. Usually during the first hydro, if the tank had a nice soft life and was never abused, the galv coating was still thick and would present as brittle. This would show the tank as a fail, not the other way around. If you immediately retested the tank, it would pass on the second attempt if the tank itself was good.
It doesn't really come into play with the fabers, their galv coating is much thinner and lighter. They put it out there in writing to cover their bases in case one does fail prematurely but it isn't usually ever an issue with a Faber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom