Bends or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi. This is a long one. I just returned from my second dive vacation. Last Thursday, about an hour or so after my dives and after a hot shower, I started seeing 'floaters' and my hips started to hurt. It started like a sting on my skin, then went deeper like a muscle ache. I rested in bed after walking to and from dinner. After a couple of hours, I seemed fine. I skipped diving on Fri. But resumed Sat. & Sun. with no issues other than feeling tired, and some swelling to my feet (which is only now going away). I called DAN and the Dr. didn't think it was DCS (after getting all the details of my dives). What was it? I think I feel fine, now. But I'm paranoid so every little thing is making me wonder if I indeed have the bends. Anyone know what I may have done to myself? Why that happened?

HI Tricia and welcome to SB!

Great that you talked to DAN! Those symptoms at that time after dives and shower would have had me on their hot line ASAP! I'll have to leave this for the Medical Experts, but it might help to know more about your dives, your age and physical shape, and your diet and beverage for the day preceding...??

Hello MizzTricia

The “floaters” are unrelated to diving, I will surmise.

Since others at DAN have examined the profiles for gas loadings and found these to be of little consequence, I would suggest that the other causes might be:

- Venom from an animal,
- Muscle sourness from activity,
- Tight equipment straps, or
- Tight-fitting wet suit.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Tricia, to add to Dr. Deco's advice, have you been to an opthamologist yet?

The hip soarness could be from use and or restrictive clothing. If you speak of the top of the hip (ilium) then an overly tight cummerbund may be the culprit. Did you do shore dives or extended carry entries?

D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom