Bellevue man missing - Deception Pass State Park, Washington state

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Skagit County Sheriff's Office searches for missing diver
The Skagit County Sheriff's Office is searching for a 67-year-old Bellevue man who went missing Sunday while scuba diving in Deception Pass State Park's Bowman Bay.

According to a news release from the Sheriff's Office, the man, an experienced scuba diver, and his wife were in a small boat in Bowman Bay when the man dove into the water. The man's wife waited about 30 minutes for the man to resurface but he never did.

The Island County Sheriff's Office, the Coast Guard and park rangers responded to assist the Skagit County Sheriff's Office in the search, the release states.

During its response, the Coast Guard alerted other mariners in the area to be on the lookout for the man, said Petty Off. Michael Clark. A Coast Guard crew that was training near Bellingham was diverted to the area, and a Coast Guard cutter and helicopter were also deployed, Clark said.

After about four hours of searching Sunday, the search was suspended, Clark said.

"This is the hardest part of the job," Clark said. "It's always difficult deciding to suspend the search."

On Monday, the Skagit County Sheriff's Office resumed searching for the man, said Undersheriff Chad Clark.

With the way the tides are running right now, he could be anywhere. There was a student diver (Walla Walla University) who passed away at this site a few years back and, if I recall correctly her body was never recovered.

I've watched boats from the bridge on their oneway trip thru the pass. The amount of water that passes back and forth to fill and drain Puget Sound is tremendous. Bowman Bay (red pin) is outside of the pass, but I'm sure the effects are strong there still.

upload_2021-7-26_21-20-20.png

It sounds like he was diving alone. Not that it would have changed anything, but it’s a good idea to tow a dive flag if you’re going to dive alone. Either me or my dive partner almost always tow a flag if for no other reason than it helps the boat keep track of you.

The current does indeed rip out at the points. And that's where folks generally want to dive.

Even without the influence of Deception Pass, Bowman Bay is right where the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets Rosario Strait. I took a boat through Rosario Strait this afternoon, and we paused for a minute to admire the whirlpools pulling water down in one spot, and obvious upwelling pushing water up 30 yards a way. And these phenomena move. (But I don't think you'd encounter them at Bowman Bay.)

The exchanges were very strong last weekend particularly in the daytime. Thought about jumping in a couple of spots but everywhere we were the currents were ripping and the noon hour slack was very brief and not very predictable either so passed. We were a bit north of this particular spot on the Canadian side of the border but everywhere in the PNW was experiencing very large exchanges with a lot of water moving around. As someone said he could be anywhere.

The exchanges were very strong last weekend particularly in the daytime. Thought about jumping in a couple of spots but everywhere we were the currents were ripping and the noon hour slack was very brief and not very predictable either so passed. We were a bit north of this particular spot on the Canadian side of the border but everywhere in the PNW was experiencing very large exchanges with a lot of water moving around. As someone said he could be anywhere.
Folks who ordinarily dive in Puget Sound encounter more annoying currents that can be a pain or push a distracted diver where they don't want to be. A fit, young diver can usually fight through them, though that might not be a good plan. Up where you are, as well as Deception Pass/Rosario Strait, you can get currents that nobody is going to be able to fight. Either hang on to a rock or enjoy the ride....

Body of scuba diver who vanished while boating with wife found, Washington cops say
The body of a missing scuba diver who never resurfaced while boating with his wife in the Puget Sound, has been recovered after nearly three days of searching, Washington officials said.

The 67-year-old Bellevue man — an experienced scuba diver — and his wife, 63, launched a small boat from Bowman Bay in Deception Pass State Park and drove a short distance from shore to dive Sunday evening, according to a news release from the Skagit County Sheriff’s Office.

He dove in but never resurfaced, the sheriff’s office said. After waiting 30 minutes, his wife called for help around 6 p.m.

With the way the tides are running right now, he could be anywhere. There was a student diver (Walla Walla University) who passed away at this site a few years back and, if I recall correctly her body was never recovered.

13 years ago now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom