Belize Whale Shark Diving - Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have reservations about using sea horse. We dove with them three or so years back and they were running a number of trips out to maximize their income during this time (shark season). Its not cheap and there was no guarnatee and if you decide to cancel a trip you are charged for the trip (again this was 3-4 years ago and maybe they have changed). I will say that the owner is very experienced but you may end up diving with some of his other dive masters. Ours had only recently begun diving. there are other operators who have permits to dive with the sharks in Placencia.

As to the diving. You motor out to the elbow which is upto two hours away. You then go outside the barrier reef and look for spanning grouper or snapper (depends on time of year) and if you find them you likely will also see the sharks. but finding them can be hard since you have to swim to find them and you are just swimming in the blue so to speak. When you find them it DOES get fun. But you may end up just getting a lot of exericse for Sea Horses $150 they charge.

The hit rate achieved by Hamanasi always used to be very good. The dive shop manager has recently changed so I don't know for sure that record is continuing, but it seems probable.

I think that with all special trips like these you'll be required to pay if you decide to cancel - fuel is very expensive and costings are critical, so if someone gets refunded the trip can become non-viable.

If the operator cancels you'll always get a refund.

Of course, there is no guarantee that you'll see a whale shark.

what happened to us back in 2003 is my wife had to cancel a week or so prior to the trip. We let them know at this time. I showed up and did the dives we had payed for and they charged me for my wifes dives as well. One of the guys in our group got fed up with them jamming the boat (basic ponga) full of people and did not do his last day of diving. They easily filled his spot and charged him for the no sho. were overloading Its not like they were concerned with gas. Our dive master had only begun diving the year before in November (thats what he told us and thats not something you brag about).

Again I will say this was back in 2003 and I don't know if this is still how they run things.

We got skunked down there on our whale shark dive. However, it was still an interesting dive. It is open ocean blue water diving with the reef about 80' below. You could see several very large bull sharks cruising after the snapper below the whole time (very cool). we also happened upon a school of about 6 baby manta rays.
Other than that dive and a wonderful trip to the turneffe elbow, the diving was so so.

Augustus - your experience doesn't sound good, nor regrettably is it unique. I find it depressing what some operators get away with. But as you say it was 4 years ago, and things change. I don't think that would happen at Hamanasi.

I was there earlier this month and saw whale sharks on 3 of 4 dives (and dolphins on 2 of 4 dives). I dove on the second and third day after the full moon and I think the probability goes down after the 3rd day or so. I went with Splash dive shop and would recommend them. I thought the regular diving was also quite good - though not as good as Lighthouse Reef or (I'm told) Turneffe Elbow.

Have you thought about Utila? I understand from the experts that May and September are the absolute best months for seeing a whale shark in Utila. I believe you have a better chance in Utila than Belize, in any case. From what I understand, you go looking for whale sharks during your in-between dive times, so you still get to dive even if you miss out on the whale sharks.

Have never done it, but I've done a bit of research on this myself. The ride from Hamanasi to Gladden Spit is quite long. Manta is closer, but there is still no guarantee and the added cost is, IMHO, not inconsequential. OTOH, I have been diving in Belize (not near Gladden Spit) and it is wonderful. So even if you miss out on the whale sharks, there is plenty else to see and do.

As I've said, I've never been to Utila and have never tried whale shark diving, although we are extremely anxious to do so! I have read a lot about it and talked to a lot of other divers about it. (Recently met some people in Cozumel who were very happy with their experience in Utila, which is why I mention Utila to you.) I wonder if there is anyone out there who has been to both Utila and Belize for whale sharks and can share the experience?

I'm honestly not trying to confuse you more, but can I just say a few words in defense of shore diving? I've never been to Curacao, but I have been to Bonaire. Like you, I didn't feel confident enough to go to Bonaire when we were truly beginners. Once we did go to Bonaire, some time later, I realized that I was wrong. As long as you stay away from some of the tougher sites, it really is quite easy. It's easier than any other place I've ever been, and the diversity of marine life (except the big stuff) and the viz is astounding. Personally, I find entering and exiting the shore easier than a lot of the boat dives I've done, with the current and the chop and trying to get back on the ladder without getting smacked on the head. And there are boat dives to do as well in Bonaire, so you have a DM to point out the frogfish and seahorses for you.

In hindsight, I wish we had finished our AOW in Bonaire. We went to Roatan instead--great instructor but terrible weather, a lot of the sites were deeper than we could go, so it was not the best choice. Bonaire is out of the hurricane belt AND it is really dry.

Okay, enough! I don't work for either the Utila tourist board nor the Bonaire one, honestly! Hope this helps!

If you are a new diver I would be very careful making shore dives.
Currents can really wear you out and make the dive dangerous. If you go to Curaco check out The Dive Bus. Mark and Suzy are really fun to dive with and they can get you to the best dives available from shore safely.

Your age, fitness level, and experience all come into play on shore dives. Don't get me wrong I'm not against shore dives,I done lots in Tahiti, Maui, Curaco, St Lucia, Cozumel and St Martin. Diving from a boat can be a lot easier than carrying your gear down a 300 ft rock enbankment and entering the water with a small surge. Then after the dive you have to carry everything back up.

Also remember that where you get in may not be where you get out, be prepared to carry your gear or have a vehicle close to the exit point. If you can get a vehicle close. Know your dive before you ever get in the water. Have someone on shore that knows your schedule and have a time to check in via cell phone or in person. Be safe and have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom