Belize Whale Shark Diving - Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rza00cc

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm all over the map here, but I'm trying to plan a short trip. I'm a novice diver (35 dives) with AOW cert and generally enjoy seeing lots of colorful fish and large marine life. I guess with time I'll learn to enjoy the finer things, but I'm still pretty new to diving.

I'm thinking of going to Belize during a period in which whale sharks are supposed to be around and was wondering if anyone had any experience with such dives.

1. I know it's impossible to quantify, but is there a high probability of seeing a whale shark on these dives? (5/10-5/13)

2. Any recommendations on dive shops or accomodations? (I generally prefer secluded but nicer places. I've been considering Turtle Inn or Robert's Grove. Also, since I'm a novice, I'd like to make sure that the dive operation is run well with experienced guides)

3. Seeing a whale shark would be cool, but is there anything else on these dives? Would I be better off trying to go to San Pedro?

On a side note, I was considering going to Curacao instead, but if the highlight of Curacao is an abundance of unguided shore diving, I'm still not comfortable enough to dive without a guide.

Sorry for rambling and any insight would be greatly appreciated

welcome to the board!

I don't have any experience diving with whale sharks...but hopefully that will change one day.

Sounds like fun, but if you don't see the whale shark you can rest assured Belize is amazing! lots of different dives to do. it's on my must dive before too old list!

I would search the forums there is tons of information, you might also try the dive magazines on-line

Hey from Louisiana,
Planning a trip to Belize also in June and whale shark is my dream dive. However, I do recommend guided shore dives for you until you get a few more dives under your belt. Husband and I have over 200 dives and once in Costa Rica, got caught in rip tide. Very scary and we weren't even diving. Just out waded and swimming and had to fight to get out. Banged up on reef pretty good but check on currents around the shore that you are planning to dive at. :no

The best chance of seeing a whale shark is a few days either side of the full moon, with the best month being May. Unless my calculations are wrong, full moon is at the end of May, so your visit is almost perfectly mis-timed!

As to where to stay, the best whale shark viewing trips I know of leave from Placencia (where the undoubted experts are Sea Horse Dive Shop) and Hamanasi Resort at Hopkins, a few miles to the north. Hamanasi is not small, but it certainly is upmarket.

On the viewing days you'll go out in quite a small boat and will only get in the water when there's a reasonable chance of seeing a whale shark. So forget these days and general dive days. Anywhere that far sounth in Belize is a long way from the barrier reef, and if convenience is a significant factor you might be better of going to one of the northern cayes - Ambergris or Caulker. From either of these the reef is only 1/2 mile away, and it also offers varied and interesting diving.

It's a refreshing change to see someone with 35 dives not describing themselves as "experienced". Wherever you dive in Belize you'll be accompanied by an experienced guide - it's the law.

I can't speak for Curacao, but is a shore dive necessarily unaccompanied?

Thanks to everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.

Peter, I checked the website for Seahorse (www.belizescuba.com) and it appears that my potenial dates are on the tail end, but still inside of their whale shark dive window. I would guess that means that while there is still a chance of seeing a whale shark, it's not a horrible chance, but not as good as it could be.

I will try to contact them to see what their opinion is...and I know it's not reasonable to ask them to peg a % probability, but hopefully I can get a feel for whether it's worth it to go down to Placencia if 75% of the reason for going is to see whale sharks.

If it doesn't make sense to go to Placencia, I've heard that the San Pedro area is great. Journey's end seemed like a nice to go, but there was no availability. Would you have any suggestions in the area?

Thanks again for your help...and re: Curacao, I know that shore guides are available, but from what I've read, I was led to believe that if I had to have a guide I was kind of missing the point.

Depends what you want to do. Journey's End is some way out of town, and you'll be a bit restricted in your choice of dive operator. You'll probably spend a lot of your time travelling. I'll PM you some suggestions - it isn't fair publicly to recommend the ones I happen to know and not mention lots of others. For anyone, the accommodation section of www.ambergriscaye.com is an excellent reference point.

The full moon is 1 May. We will be in Placencia 28 April - 5 May :D. We are diving with Brian at Sea Horse and staying at Trade Winds. As for seeing a whale shark - I take the view point that a friend of mine gave me about seeing a shuttle launch - if you are in Florida by all means go out to the cape. And if you see it go up consider it as a bonus to your vacation. I think the same applies to seeing criters. (BTW my friend said this is an astronaut).

So the next full moon, the one I was thinking of, must be around the 28th.

That's the first time I've heard a whale shark referred to as a "critter".

Some critters are bigger than other critters :D

As for the full moon - the one at the end of the month may be a blue moon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom