Belize trip help needed for newb divers - moderate budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are planning on doing ruins, nothing compares to Tikal.
As far as diving there, nothing compares to Turneffe. We actually did a day trip to Turneffe out of Amberguis. Long day, but, a beautiful boat ride.
If I was going back to do nothing but dive, I would do the Turneffe Island lodge. Then I would go inland to Chaa Creek again for the inland excursions.
You really need to insist on your family doing the inland stuff. It would be a waste not to.At 13, they may not appreciate it now; but, they will remember it for a lifetime.
I fealt that the inland stuff was the highlight of my trip (Tikal in particular). And we dove a lot.
Enjoy!

Again you are right with regards to the Mayan Ruins Tikal is Spectaqular as far as Turneffe I have to respectfully disagree after diving all 3 Atolls of Belize and many many dives there.

I would put Turneffe at the bottom of the list of Belize Atolls not that the diving is not world class but when you compare it to Ligthouse Reef and Glovers it is clearly in third place.

I would put it in this order based on my experience

Glovers Reef
Lighhouse Reef
Turneffe Islands

Any of these Atolls is absolutely world class diving and neither one will be a let down.

Dive Safe
Gaz Cooper

I know that all 3 of the spots we mentioned are great compared to AC. It is obviously just a matter of opinion based on the experiences and conditions when we were there.
Personally, I would pick an outer atoll and dive all three of those spots while there. Throw in the Blue Hole for good measure just to say you did it.
It seems we all agree on the inland stuff and diving the outer atolls.

I know that all 3 of the spots we mentioned are great compared to AC. It is obviously just a matter of opinion based on the experiences and conditions when we were there.
Personally, I would pick an outer atoll and dive all three of those spots while there. Throw in the Blue Hole for good measure just to say you did it.
It seems we all agree on the inland stuff and diving the outer atolls.

uh....... I think you forgot what the OP was asking:
Hi! We (me, two 13 year sons, and maybe husband) are considering going to Belize late August, '09. We want to dive (aren't certified yet but will be by then), since we went snorkeling in Coz last summer and absolutely fell in love with the underwater world. I am thinking a few nights in Placencia, a few on an atoll, and a few in Ambergris Caye. 2 week trip.

How does this sound? I think it will give us some variety in lodging, food choices, and mostly dive sites. We are newbie divers, so want mostly novice sites, not too deep, I guess, and would prefer not to have to spend a lot of time on the boat getting to the site.

she says they aren't even certified yet, but will be soon and they want shallow easy dives without long boat rides......Ambergris is where they should go. www.ambergriscaye.com

I would tell the OP that they should look at Ambergris Caye, maybe a place like Ramon's Village. Do some topside attractions like the Mayan Ruins and the jungle ziplines tours and some easy dives that won't be above their comfort level or the 2 young divers depth restrictions. Ramon's Village, Belize Resort, Belize Resorts, Resorts in Belize, Ambergris Caye
http://www.bayadventures.com/belize/rates.htm

or, since she says "moderate price", how about:
http://www.caradonna.com/Product/WhatsNew/ExoticCayeBeachResort.aspx

robin:D

Thanks, all for your help!

Yes, shallow, easy dives I think are the way to go this time, so I'm looking at AC, possibly staying at the Tides and diving with Patojos, or a condotel (new word for me...) and diving with Ecologic. Any recommendations on these condo/suites places with a pool and some beach?

Turneffe, alas, is out of our budget, anyway.

Also, we may have a non-diver, my husband who now wants to come, so I think AC will have more for a non diver.

And, we will go inland. I'm looking at staying at Caves Branch, maybe doing some of their excursions including Caracol and ATM. Now to decide whether a package or outsourcing the excursions to Pacz tours would be a better value.

The plan so far is 5 nights Caves Branch, 5 nights AC, 3 Placencia (actually Seine Bight at the Crab House) and 1 Belize City the night before we leave. We don't like to move around too much, so 3 places in two weeks works for us.

Can't wait to go!!!

Yes, shallow, easy dives I think are the way to go this time, so I'm looking at AC, possibly staying at the Tides and diving with Patojos, or a condotel (new word for me...) and diving with Ecologic. Any recommendations on these condo/suites places with a pool and some beach?

Ambergris is not renowned for its beaches so do not expect too much in that regard as far as Ecologic Divers (good operation) and Patojos (good operation) I would probably pick Ecologic but both are fine.

I think a condotel will suit you better as I think rooms at Patojos will be too small for you guys try looking at the Palms or Paradise Villas (close to ecologic)

Also, we may have a non-diver, my husband who now wants to come, so I think AC will have more for a non diver.

Absolutely AC is the place to go for you guys

And, we will go inland. I'm looking at staying at Caves Branch, maybe doing some of their excursions including Caracol and ATM. Now to decide whether a package or outsourcing the excursions to Pacz tours would be a better value.

Thats sounds like a good plan

The plan so far is 5 nights Caves Branch, 5 nights AC, 3 Placencia (actually Seine Bight at the Crab House) and 1 Belize City the night before we leave. We don't like to move around too much, so 3 places in two weeks works for us.

Forget the 1 night in Belize city you can easily get to Belize for your departure best stay the last night in Placencia and fly direct to the International the next morning. There is nothing in Belize city for you and its not considered a place to be walking around at night.

Hope you have a great trip

Gaz Cooper

I also forgot to mention the Belize zoo. We had time to kill on our way to the airport and spent an afternoon there. Well worth it!
Sounds like you have a great Itinerary mapped out. % days inland allows you enough time to go to Tikal, easily. Even an overnight. I would choose that over Caracol.
Either way, you will have a great time.
Enjoy!

I have been to Belize staying in both Belize City and in San Pedro. I have also visited Tikal and although it is spectacular it is not the trip for anyone on a budget. You would get far better bang for your buck to consider a return to Cozumel. Easy flights, all inclusives, excellent diving AND all at a reasonable cost. Another option is the Breezes (AI) on Curacao. Again superior diving and the ease of AI packages and reasonable cost. PLaya del Carmen is also a possibility. The packages to Roatan also seem to be affordable as well. Belize is not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom