Belize recommendation??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roadstump

New
Reaction score
Well this is my first time to post on this forum but it seems it is the place to come with my situation. I'll get right to the point.

I am taking my family on a cruise ( I know, that's another topic) with a one day stop in Belize. We all dive and I don't want to get thrown onto a cattle boat dive operation that the cruise ship arranges for. I am pre-arranging for a boat and divemaster in Cozumel and having dove there many times know exactly who to call to get it all set up.

I do not know anything about Belize diving. Soooo, I am looking for a recommendation from the group here. Please recommend a dive operation that will possibly reserve a boat (8 divers) for our group. Looking for a shop with good gear and good service willing to wait for us to get off the ship and make it to their shop.

If you were going to have one day of diving in Belize, where would you dive?

The experience level of our group is 3 newly certified divers (SSI)(teenagers) with a weeks worth of diving in Cozumel and 5 experienced.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Gary

There are a few operations In Belize City that you can try

www.SeasportsBelize.com or

Hugh Parkeys www.belizediving.com

Try either of those I beleive Seasports is a much smaller operation but not sure how many they packa on the boats

Have a great trip and Dive Safe

regards

Gaz

Does your boat go to B-City, or San Predro/Ambergris Caye...?

I've only dived with two at SP/AC, last week. Here excerpts from a report I'm working on...

Diving With “Aqua Dives” Sucks…

The Captain/DG and First Mate/DG were both likeable fellows, and the new kid was okay as well, but I would not go with them again if I could find anyone else to go with. We had to turn out with our gear early enough to be on the dock on time every morning, less we might get left behind, but they had no such requirements. Special tank and Nitrox requests were hit and miss, the site briefings were limited to “Follow me,” and the boat was a sick joke. They young, new guy threw out a drift line with a 3# lead weight tied to the float each time we surfaced, but no one got hit. We made the best of it, but it was a challenge at times.

There were no instructions on how to exit the water, but we all got out okay, and then it got messy. The waves were strong enough that I noticed them, but for those who had not been out on a boat in several months, or ever, and even one who had – the Puke Fest started and spread all around. I went back out for the next two dives of the day, but the boat was not crowded at all.

Diving with “Pro Tech,” a much better alternative…

Friday was left free for optional tours, but with the first flight of significance not scheduled until 3pm Saturday, I went diving one more time. I had chatted with owner Roni on SB, and he invited me to do a fun dive with him if we could get our schedules together. Phone tag had failed us late in the week, then the phone system was knocked out by a thunderstorm while we were at Turneff Atoll, so I just showed up there before they opened – hoping we were own, or something. And it worked out well…

We boarded his comfortable, well kept boat and headed out with his DM, Captain, and 4 tourist divers, but we took off on our own as soon as we back rolled into the water, dropping down into a canyon, then cruising out of it into another, and boy – that fellow can dive. He’s an accomplished Cave diver, and uses only a frog kick, but as leisurely as he coasted along, he was something to keep up with! We drifted along on 28% Nx in the 150+ foot range, and I did dip down to 162 just briefly before my SPG & both Puters started suggesting a slow, multi-level ascent could be a good idea. After two deep stops, I really thought that three minutes was enough for the shallow stop, but he likes five or six minutes, so we did. I still had 500# in my 80 cf, 3000# in my 19 cf Pony, and he had half a tank left if I wanted some his, so why not?

Roni had to split for Belize City after one dive, but he took time to show me his big boat almost ready for Blue Hole trips, and I just drooled over the obvious comforts as compared to the rough rider we’d crossed in twice that week. There was a huge equipment deck, a large bow visible to the Captain so riders could go forward during the trip – an option not available on our previous crossings, and a really nice, air conditioned dry area with bunks and a simple kitchen. I gotta’ to go back, just to ride and dive that boat.

With the newbies involved in your group, I would suggest local, shallow reef dives, and you should be able to get an operator to meet your ship - saving you from having to meet them.

Have fun...

The problem with Belize is the anchorage is about 3-5 miles off shore so you have a fairly long tender. The priority getting off the ship is given to those who book their excursions through the ship. We booked our dives through the cruise ship, Carnival Inspiration, and had excellent service. Hugh Parkey was the dive op and we were picked up/dropped off at the ship. We dove Turneffe Atoll for 2 tanks, this dive would be fine for newbies as the max depth was about 60'. I did run into a couple in Costa Maya, traveling with Royal Carribbean, who tried to book their own excursions. They were not able to get off the ship and into Belize until about 11 am. They missed their excursion. I would go with the ship excursion unless the ship could guarantee you getting off in time to make your dives or the op could pick you up at the ship.

DandyDon:
Does your boat go to B-City, or San Predro/Ambergris Caye...?

No cruise ships dock in San Pedro all of them anchor in Belize City they do offer trips to San pedro but you would not have enough time to go out on a dive though if you do it that way.

Best to use the Belize City dive operators its your best bet

Dive Safe

Gaz

Roadstump, tell me about your cruise. Does it happen to be a Princess cruise? Who do you recommend I book thru for a dive on my cruise stop in Cozumel? It kind of looks like you are going on the Princess Panama cruise that I am booked for. I will probably book a dive seperate from the boat if possible, so if you can point me in the right direction for Cozumel, and Grand Cayman too if you can. Thanks a ton.
Chris

Actually there is usually time to get to San Pedro and dive if you fly (from the Municipal Airstrip). We often get people such as you who are prepared to pay for return air travel to get good diving. When we are expecting cruise ship guests we hold back a boat for them. Depending when they arrive they can either have two dives followed by a leisurely lunch and stroll, or two dives with lunch in between. Either way, no-one's ever missed the departure of their ship! Many people regard flying back after diving as reasonably safe as the aircraft stay low, especially if the pilot is told they've just been diving, though of course any flying does increase the risk of DCS and this has to be a personal decision. But the views of the reef and islands from 500' are marvellous!

Hey Peter

I would be careful about telling people in writing to dive then fly from a liability standpoint while you are a fellow Brit we dont think of the liability aspect of most things we say cause its not the norm in the Europe to sue for everything where as in the U.S your comment can easily be taken out of context and used to damge you.

While we know the physics of flying at low altitude and there effects on flying if a lawsuit were to be bought because someone happened to get bent on a dive for dehydration lets say but it took a few hours for the symtoms to show itself they fly back to Belize and then get symtoms on the cruise ship then, I feel you may be putting yourself up there for a definate lawsuit even though you most likely would win imagine how that could do damage not only financially but someone posting on the boards OH Protech said its Ok to fly after diving they most likely would eliminate the fact that it was a low altitude flight etc and it would give an inaccurate picture as the lay person only reads do not fly after diving unless you wait the specified hours.

I think my friend it is better to Edit and reword your post so to say that some people take it upon themselves to fly out to the island etc

Best regards

Gaz

I watched the altitude on the plane I rode in on, and we never went above 1,000 feet. I don't have my NOAA Dive Manual with me, but I'm sure that's save.

It's sad that American are so sue happy, but I'd still say the advice is safe.

As a guideline of SAFE and a guideline in a classroom. PADI clearly states that flying after diving a single dive a time frame of no less than 12 hours, while in most cases an extended period of time is recommended for dive trip that involved more than one dive. This is a question that each and every open water diver answers on the PADI final exam and if answered incorrectly explained by the PADI instructor, which in turn is signed by the student as understanding fully the reasons. While 1000 feet may be indeed noted by NOAA as acceptable. Each and every one of is different while it may be, by NOAA, acceptable the effects from person to person is different. To a diver or student an Emphasis is placed on flying OR driving to altitude. PADI also states the same in that there can never be a rule that is guaranteed to prevent DCS completely. I any case the responsibility of diving safely and proper behavior afterwards fall directly on the diver. While in the US it may be taken to legal matter. PADI will defend its professional members if all other standards a met and the pro member is current with dues and insurance. This is where is it good records keeping comes in to play.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom