Belize - Palencia trip questions/suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacket_fan:
Hey hank49.

In another thread you mentioned:

What is at Gladden Spit?

We will be down next week. I hope we bring good weather. I know we are bringing some things for our captain and crew on the boat we will be on. Anything I can bring in from the States for you? Not sure how easy it is to get things there.

Gladden Spit is a cut through the reef and it's also where the whale shark diving takes place. It's a national marine park. There is a large sand flat inside the reef running to the north and it's a good place to anchor. If you're in Pacencia it's just about due east.
Thanks for the offer to bring stuff but I think I'm ok for now. Have fun.

Hank49:
Gladden Spit is a cut through the reef and it's also where the whale shark diving takes place. It's a national marine park. There is a large sand flat inside the reef running to the north and it's a good place to anchor. If you're in Pacencia it's just about due east.
Thanks for the offer to bring stuff but I think I'm ok for now. Have fun.

Gladden Spit it is. Thanks.

Gladden Spit is a fairly recently designated marine reserve and a good place to dive with whalesharks in season. It is not season now.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

We understand it is the start of lobster season. Hopefully it is true.

If so, what are the rules in Belize? Tickle and net? Spear? Go after dark? Snorkel only?

I'm packed and ready to go! Man, he scuba gear is heavy.

This is going to be the first real scuba trip since certification in March in the keys. Thats when I watched a guy get some lobters by "tickling" them out and netting them.

Trip Report

What a great way to get into scuba. This was my first trip after certification in March. Each dive was memorable.

We took a 45 foot cat from the Moorings out of Placencia. Two couples and a captain and cook and 16 tanks. We stayed at Robert’s Grove the night before we got on the boat and the night we got off the boat. Outstanding place: great service from an attentive staff.

Robert introduced himself.

The dive shop at the marina was very helpful.

We made 8 dives from the boat. Two dives were off the rubber dingy it seems like every sailboat pulls along behind it. Got to practice rolling off the side of the dingy… very interesting.

The coral and fish were outstanding. Some blue coral that was as colorful as I have ever seen.

The last dive ended when my wife came up on what we believe was a fairly large bull shark. At least that is what we think it was. All I am sure of is that it was not a nurse shark. It was swimming around a coral head and spooked my poor wife at about 10 feet away. It is amazing how graceful they are, yet how menacing. The folks on the boat said there were reports of a bull shark in the area.

I would love to go back and spend more time in the water. What a pristine environment. We felt like we were the only people diving. No dive boats, heck, no boats in sight. A wonderful experience.

The only complaint would be going and coming. A full day each way. The flight to and from Belize City was quite memorable.

It was my first flight in a Cessna Caravan.

When we turned on approach, all I saw was a pot marked asphalt runway that ended at the ocean, I was quite nervous.

This newbie looks forward to a return visit.

(Hank you live in a diving paradise!)

Back
Top Bottom