Belize - Palencia trip questions/suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacket_fan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Advice would be greatly appreciated as our vacation quickly approaches.

We are headed to Placencia and staying at Roberts Grove when we get in. Two couples. One couple has a couple of decades of diving experience and my wife and I are novices. The novices have their own equipment, the experienced pair will rent from Roberts Grove. Are they a reputable bunch?

We head out on a crewed sailboat and I would love to get some input as to where we should head for scuba and snorkeling. We only have 5 days on the boat and leave in 3 weeks, so we will be there in the middle of June.

We would like to get a few lobsters. Can we do it during June? On snorkel only? What type of gear?

From reading other posts it seems like Ambergris Caye is a great spot. Sounds great but a long way from Palencia.

Hank49, since you are Placencia, it would be great if you offered your thoughts on what you would do if you had a sailboat, 5 days, and were saddled to a couple of novices. Any places you would stop? Maybe get a divemaster to take us someplace special?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the only real vacation this year and we would like to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance,

:hm:
tvictory:
I think you mean Placencia.

You would be correct. As I look a the map, it quite clearly states "Placencia".

I should edit my first post.

jacket_fan:

We are headed to Placencia and staying at Roberts Grove when we get in. Two couples. One couple has a couple of decades of diving experience and my wife and I are novices. The novices have their own equipment, the experienced pair will rent from Roberts Grove. Are they a reputable bunch?

We head out on a crewed sailboat and I would love to get some input as to where we should head for scuba and snorkeling. We only have 5 days on the boat and leave in 3 weeks, so we will be there in the middle of June.

We would like to get a few lobsters. Can we do it during June? On snorkel only? What type of gear?

From reading other posts it seems like Ambergris Caye is a great spot. Sounds great but a long way from Palencia.

Hank49, since you are Placencia, it would be great if you offered your thoughts on what you would do if you had a sailboat, 5 days, and were saddled to a couple of novices. Any places you would stop? Maybe get a divemaster to take us someplace special?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the only real vacation this year and we would like to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance,

The best overall scuba diving is out over the reef but the rental cats don't go out there. You may be able to arrange Robert's Pro 42 to meet you at agreed points as they take out other divers over the reef for the morning dive (say, if you anchor at Ranguana or Gladden Spit, both cuts in the reef where they pass through) and go out with them. Inside the reef there is Laughingbird Caye. It's a marine park with no fishing (legally) so it's pretty loaded with nice marine life. A lot of the rentals go there. Ask Walter at the dive shop. They're pretty flexible and will be happy to arrange special trips or meeting places with you. I just did a checkout dive at Mosquito Caye yesterday. Getting ready to go to Roatan tomorrow. You'll have a great time I'm sure. If you see the boat "Yapak 2" (22 foot, blue bottom, white top with blue bimini) give me a shout.

jacket_fan:

Oops. Forgot. Robert's is a good shop. They have probably the nicest dive boat in Belize. A Pro 42 or 48 ? jet drive. It can handle most conditions comfortably. They have new looking Oceanic regs and new BCDs.

Much thanks Hank,

We are looking forward to coming to your back yard. I will look for your boat when we arrive and will give you a shout for sure. If you see some lost looking tourists on a Moorings cat, give us a shout. We wanted to get a dive in prior to boarding, but the folks at Roberts Grove were not able to accomodate. :frown:

Are there any dive spots that are a can't miss, or something that you highly recommend?

How about a local restaraunt or hangout?

jacket_fan:
Much thanks Hank,

We are looking forward to coming to your back yard. I will look for your boat when we arrive and will give you a shout for sure. If you see some lost looking tourists on a Moorings cat, give us a shout. We wanted to get a dive in prior to boarding, but the folks at Roberts Grove were not able to accomodate. :frown:

Are there any dive spots that are a can't miss, or something that you highly recommend?

How about a local restaraunt or hangout?

I'm in Belize right now and staying a few miles north of Placencia. Robert Grove has been an excellent dive operation for the past two days. One day spent on the Dorado (Pro 42 jet boat) and one day on a small fast boat (much rougher). I recommend Roberts Grove.
As for local hangouts, up in Maya Beach there is a bar called Mango's right on the water with a beautiful view and great atmosphere. I've spent a few evenings there already.

DrRobb

You could also try White Sands Tiki Bar in Sainte Beite. Jeff makes the most amazing red curry shrimp ever! Imagine having to travel all of the way to belize for thai. lol

Thanks for the responses.

I am really looking forward to this trip!

Hey hank49.

In another thread you mentioned:

if you head south to Placencia and go to Gladden Spit

What is at Gladden Spit?

We will be down next week. I hope we bring good weather. I know we are bringing some things for our captain and crew on the boat we will be on. Anything I can bring in from the States for you? Not sure how easy it is to get things there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom