Belize or Turks and Caicos? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a 1st live-aboard, I wanted 'easier' conditions. Ease into 'challenges' one thing at a time. Plus Belize is famous for diving at the atolls, so it seemed like a good place to hit.

Turks & Caicos sounds like a really good place to hit, probably on Explorer Ventures since solo is more enabled & accepted.

I'm hoping to dive Morehead, North Carolina, this summer, Lord willing and providing. If I get to do that, and get the quality time with #'s of sand tiger sharks that area is known for, that should scratch my shark itch for awhile.

Richard.

Thanks Richard,

I do like to dive with big animals, plus the discount for T&C Explorer, are very attractive, but there are other 2 in our group and we are trying to make an informed and democratic decisions. One thing is that I have no idea when I will be able to go on another live aboard, might be years from now....very hard for me to get a week+ vacation that I am taking by myself, without wife, kids, etc...

I would unhesitatingly recommend Turks & Caicos in May. I actually went on the T & C Aggressor in May 2011 and it was one of my best dive trips. Lots of coral and fish life big and small. We must have seen over 100 sharks during the week, a lot of them quite close. Also, night diving in T & C is very rewarding.

Damselfish really hit on the difference. On the Explorer you do 5 dives per day at several locations. Sometimes they move the boat between dives, always during lunch and the 2nd afternoon dive is the night dive since you're familiar with it. And they do a couple of group wall drift dives where the boat follows you as well. We also did 5 night dives and one dawn dive - got in while it was still dark and watched the reef come alive.

None of it is really far away, from French Cay back to Provo couldn't have been more than 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. but it's the convenience. Twice or three times I saw what I think was Caicos Adventures big boat out at West Caicos - once there was another day boat at French Cay one morning. On the Explorer you hit the NW Point dives first then do a couple days at West Caicos followed by a couple at French Cay. Occasionally they go over to Grand Turk also.

The best you're going to do based on Provo is 3 dives per day and it's a long day with the shuttle from the resort to the south side dock, the boat rides then back. 3 tanks don't get back till around 4:30 and it's a prettty pricey trip - over $150 IIRC. Priced accommodations in Grace Bay also? It's not exactly the low rent district...lol

I did 26 dives on the Explorer - skipped one. I can't see how more than about 18 would've been possible in the same period shore based - there's no shore diving on Provo. I kind of liked getting back Friday afternoon since we saw a little more of Grace Bay that way. From the west coast you probably have to take the early AM flight thru Charlotte so you'll be there at noon with time to look around before boarding also. If I do it again, I'll probably add a few days on one end to see more of it - it really is a stunning beach/island.

Here's a photo I took on a Belize Aggressor trip in July last year....both night and Octopus
Octopus_cropped_and_color_corrected_141223_1_of_1_.jpg

Liked it well enough that my dive buddy and I are going back in August this year...on the dive the world week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom