Belize - Liveaboard or Land-based?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A group of us just returned from our first liveaboard in Palau and absolutely loved it. We are planning next year's jaunt and are considering Belize.

What is the best way to dive Belize, liveaboard or land-based? We want to maximize our diving -- with a possiblity of sightseeing the last day. We really liked the vicious cycle of eat-dive-eat-dive-eat-dive-eat-dive-eat-dive-sleep.

TIA

I was in Belize back in April '97 and land-based on Caye Caulker. We went out for 2 tank dives every day, but it sounds like your group is looking for much more intensive dive experience. If I remember right, the reef is a bit off-shore - even from the offshore Cayes - so if you plan to eat-dive-eat-dive all day, you're probably best off on a liveaboard.

Just do your homework in choosing your operator - I also remember a news item from the last 5 years or so in which a dive boat in Belize was lost with all on board b/c of the captain's mis-calculation regarding the weather conditions (or at least that's what I recall, appologies if I'm remembering the story incorectly).

Also, I'm not one to recomend a deep dive just for the macho aspects - but the Blue Hole is truely a unique geological feature to see and dive, in spite of its depth. It's really worth a trip if you're in Belize. And the sea life, turtles, rays, nurse sharks - was amazing. I got certified on that trip - and hooked on diving forever.

Cheers,
K

We were on the Wave Dancer a few months before it was sunk in a hurricane. The Agressor also has a boat in Belize as well. I have never been on a land base operation in Belize, but the liveaboard was fantastic. In most cases if you can afford it IMO a liveaboard is the way to go. You can cover more ground and of course dive eat sleep with no sand in your shoes so to speak.

Check out Lighthouse Reef Resort. The best diving in Belize is on the atolls.

Otter:
A group of us just returned from our first liveaboard in Palau and absolutely loved it. We are planning next year's jaunt and are considering Belize.

What is the best way to dive Belize, liveaboard or land-based? We want to maximize our diving -- with a possiblity of sightseeing the last day. We really liked the vicious cycle of eat-dive-eat-dive-eat-dive-eat-dive-eat-dive-sleep.

TIA

Hi Otter!

I'm of the same mindset in that all I want to do is sleep, eat, dive, eat dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, do it all over again (maybe some time in the hottub here & there). And liveaboards seem to be the most efficient way to do this. It's just so relaxing and convenient, and the crews are typically great! There is so little effort involved on liveaboard dive trips!

I did the Nekton in Belize, which I liked. I've never done land-based in Belized, so I can't really compare. I think one thing that someone mentioned about the Nekton as compared to the other liveaboard boats is that the Nekton doesn't typically do the Blue Hole. What the captain felt, and what I've read on the boards, is that the Blue Hole isn't really all that interesting from a diving standpoint. You lose a day of diving at better sites by going to the Blue Hole. They would have gone if people REALLY wanted to go, but most of us weren't all that interested. The Nekton is less expensive than the Aggressor or the Peter Hughes boat, but it also holds more passengers. I walked around the Peter Hughes boat, and it was more upscale than the Nekton. They had a beer tap on deck, which looked like fun, but I don't drink when I am doing 5 dives a day. Which reminds me that another difference is that alcohol is not included on the Nekton boats, but they always take passengers to a store to purchase their own liquor before the boat departs. I like the Nekton boats and operations so didn't feel like I needed to pay extra fancier accomodations.

I think you'd have a good experience on any of the liveaboards.

The Saturday that we go off the boat, they arranged a free trip (I think everyone ended up tipping though) to nearby Mayan Ruins before our afternoon flights. It was nice. I wouldn't have paid for it though....

Which liveaboard did you do in Palau? I've never been to Palau, but your dive expectations are probably set pretty high now.... :)

pisces:
Hi Otter!

I'm of the same mindset in that all I want to do is sleep, eat, dive, eat dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, do it all over again (maybe some time in the hottub here & there). And liveaboards seem to be the most efficient way to do this. It's just so relaxing and convenient, and the crews are typically great! There is so little effort involved on liveaboard dive trips!

I did the Nekton in Belize, which I liked. I've never done land-based in Belized, so I can't really compare. I think one thing that someone mentioned about the Nekton as compared to the other liveaboard boats is that the Nekton doesn't typically do the Blue Hole. What the captain felt, and what I've read on the boards, is that the Blue Hole isn't really all that interesting from a diving standpoint. You lose a day of diving at better sites by going to the Blue Hole. They would have gone if people REALLY wanted to go, but most of us weren't all that interested. The Nekton is less expensive than the Aggressor or the Peter Hughes boat, but it also holds more passengers. I walked around the Peter Hughes boat, and it was more upscale than the Nekton. They had a beer tap on deck, which looked like fun, but I don't drink when I am doing 5 dives a day. Which reminds me that another difference is that alcohol is not included on the Nekton boats, but they always take passengers to a store to purchase their own liquor before the boat departs. I like the Nekton boats and operations so didn't feel like I needed to pay extra fancier accomodations.

I think you'd have a good experience on any of the liveaboards.

The Saturday that we go off the boat, they arranged a free trip (I think everyone ended up tipping though) to nearby Mayan Ruins before our afternoon flights. It was nice. I wouldn't have paid for it though....

Which liveaboard did you do in Palau? I've never been to Palau, but your dive expectations are probably set pretty high now.... :)

Good info and thanks. In Palau, we went with the Big Blue Explorer -- function over fancy. It worked out VERY well. The crew was great and we dived pretty much whereever we wanted. The Nekton sounds like a good idea. I have also heard that the owner of the BBE is going to be putting a ship in Belize...hopefully by next year. The Boat Mgr and one or two of the DMs MAY be going as well. IF thats the case, then it won't be any choice...we will go with them.

We have become spoiled quickly on liveaboards....but I wanted to make sure that Belize was best served by liveaboards vs. land-based (i.e., I don't think anyone would suggest liveaboard in Bonaire -- if there even was one).

Palua is absolutely awesome and if you want to dive some neat stuff, you should go liveaboard over land any time (land, 50-60 minute boat rides, liveaboard 5 mins). I am putting the finishing touches on the trip report for Yap (our first week) and with any luck will have Palau ready this weekend -- I hate when work gets in the way!

Otter:
Good info and thanks. In Palau, we went with the Big Blue Explorer -- function over fancy. It worked out VERY well. The crew was great and we dived pretty much whereever we wanted. The Nekton sounds like a good idea. I have also heard that the owner of the BBE is going to be putting a ship in Belize...hopefully by next year. The Boat Mgr and one or two of the DMs MAY be going as well. IF thats the case, then it won't be any choice...we will go with them.

We have become spoiled quickly on liveaboards....but I wanted to make sure that Belize was best served by liveaboards vs. land-based (i.e., I don't think anyone would suggest liveaboard in Bonaire -- if there even was one).

Palua is absolutely awesome and if you want to dive some neat stuff, you should go liveaboard over land any time (land, 50-60 minute boat rides, liveaboard 5 mins). I am putting the finishing touches on the trip report for Yap (our first week) and with any luck will have Palau ready this weekend -- I hate when work gets in the way!

Hi Otter,

Thanks for the tip about the BBE! I'll have to keep an eye out for your report .

I noticed that you are in LA. Another quick trip for you would be Hawaii. I really loved my week on the Kona Aggressor. The lack of soft corals took some getting used to at first, but there was SOOO much sea life, everywhere I looked. I've never seen so many eels in my life, of all sizes (HUGE to dwarf), from every crevice, under every rock. I learned to love eels on that trip! They are so interesting to watch. Lots of octopus, saw my first nudibrachs, saw my first spanish dancer (gorgeous!). Tons of fishes that you will not see anywhere else. I will warn you though that the water was cold, especially after 5 dives a day. No hottub. But the diving was really great! This was in the fall, maybe 5-6 years ago. But I've thought about booking it again the last 2 years, and it's always full....

Yeah, work is just quite the inconvenience, isn't it?!

pisces:
Hi Otter,

Thanks for the tip about the BBE! I'll have to keep an eye out for your report .

I noticed that you are in LA. Another quick trip for you would be Hawaii. I really loved my week on the Kona Aggressor. The lack of soft corals took some getting used to at first, but there was SOOO much sea life, everywhere I looked. I've never seen so many eels in my life, of all sizes (HUGE to dwarf), from every crevice, under every rock. I learned to love eels on that trip! They are so interesting to watch. Lots of octopus, saw my first nudibrachs, saw my first spanish dancer (gorgeous!). Tons of fishes that you will not see anywhere else. I will warn you though that the water was cold, especially after 5 dives a day. No hottub. But the diving was really great! This was in the fall, maybe 5-6 years ago. But I've thought about booking it again the last 2 years, and it's always full....

Yeah, work is just quite the inconvenience, isn't it?!

I have dived Maui 3 times, but never made it to the the Big Island. MY reality is if I go to Hawaii, so does my non-diving spouse AND my diving teenage boys.....so a liveaboard in Hawaii is not my future.

Now the Galapagos is my other thought about a great place for a liveaboard!

Otter:
We have become spoiled quickly on liveaboards....but I wanted to make sure that Belize was best served by liveaboards vs. land-based
Curiously it is- if it's diving you want. Some folks enjoy other stuff, but we can do restaurants and sleep in hammocks at home. It's time to dive!

For all the reasons described, specificaly the travel distances from resorts to the various "house reefs". The live aboards will take you to all of the same reefs as are accessable from the resorts- and more conveniently!

I could not recommend the quality and reliable experience of the Nekton more highly. It sets a standard by which all other boats should be measured.

RoatanMan:
Otter:
We have become spoiled quickly on liveaboards....but I wanted to make sure that Belize was best served by liveaboards vs. land-based
Curiously it is- if it's diving you want. Some folks enjoy other stuff, but we can do restaurants and sleep in hammocks at home. It's time to dive!

For all the reasons described, specificaly the travel distances from resorts to the various "house reefs". The live aboards will take you to all of the same reefs as are accessable from the resorts- and more conveniently!

I could not recommend the quality and reliable experience of the Nekton more highly. It sets a standard by which all other boats should be measured.

I was on the Belize Agressor in July of 2004 and can heartily recomend it to you. The Agressor fleet are first class dive operations and cater to your every whim. the diving is fantastic! I'm not sure of all the land based options but the "land" I saw I could definitely live without. I was told the Agressor Fleet were first class but I never realized how pampered I would feel. I'll be back again soon! Have fun!

Travler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom