Belize is Un-belize-able!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
7 nights at Ramon's Village for two - $1,100
15 dives per person including the Blue Hole - $677
The people of Belize - Priceless!

So much to say, I don't know where to start. We spend seven nights starting March 17 at Ramon's Village on Ambergis Cay in Belize. Took Continental to Belize City, then Tropic Air to San Pedro. The folks at Tropic Air make it all very easy and convenient. I was traveling alone and never felt uncomfortable or confused. Unlike some other Caribbean sites, these folks do a great job of moving the people traffic from the mainland to the island. I was met at the Airport by an entertaining young man from Ramons who gave me lots of great information during the short two minute golf cart ride to the front desk. I never touched my luggage and was taken by golf cart to check in. My first night was on the second floor and dive gear being very heavy, he handled everything for me.

The minute you get to Ramon's it's No Problem! After checking in I went straight to the Dive Shop on the pier at Ramons and met Rick, who walked me through the rules and introduced me to my dive master for the next seven days. Touriano (D.M.) had been diving the reefs off Ambergis for as many years as I've been alive. (And I'm not young). His style is very relaxed in the water. He firmly believes that you take it slow and easy and you'll see more. He was right.

We saw tons of sharks (Caribbean reef, white tip) and when I say we saw them, they were right off the tips of my fins. I have amazing pictures to post later. The turtles are huge and they are everywhere. I'm a spearfisherman and the grouper are world class. Damn things were longer than me and probably weighted more.

The vis was great (150 ft) some days and okay (50 ft) other days. I was surprised at the constant wind even though my local dive master, Beth had told me to expect it and take a light jacket for when you get out of the water. The wind made for interesting waves several days, especially the three hour ride to the Blue Hole. The dive master and his crew were very good at dealing with entrance and exit from the water for all the guest. I never felt uncomfortable by the waves even though they were much bigger than I've ever dove in before.

The reef's look good, some have tons of tropicals others have tons of big fish, sharks are everywhere.

Ramon's Village has a little night life at their bar. A couple of nights they have beach BBQs and music. I guess any time you put 90% divers at a resort location it is going to be fun. We had a group from Wisconsin (22 divers) that made it very interesting. We also met up with Ryan and Laura from Denver, and David and Dedra who had been in San Pedro for four weeks. Touriano and his assistant DM, Juan Carlos, made sure that the six of us were able to dive together every time we were on the boat. For many dives we were the only six on the boat. A couple dives had a student but they always came with their own dive master.

I have dreamed of Belize since the first day I put a reg in my mouth and it truly lived up to all of my expectations. I highly recommend Ramon's, Touriano, Juan Carlos and Belize. We had heard that it was very expensive but didn't find it that bad. Drinks are a little pricey but when you have as many as we did that could have been the problem.

The accommodations at Ramons are as nice or nicer than their website pictures. The first night I was in the Presidential suite which is on the second floor overlooking the water, dining area, small kitchen, living room area, office space with a king size bed. Aaaahhhhh! I felt like I was on lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. The next day, the Vet convention left and I got my real room which was a Garden Hut with a thatched roof. Still very nice and very comfortable. The air conditioner worked very well and it was quaint and lovely.

We also found a locals bar within walking distance down the beach called CB's or BC's, I can't remember but I do know that they make the best Rum Punch drinks you'll ever have. If I have a warning it's to watch the Rum drinks, they taste like fruit punch but kick you like a mule. Also beware of the Belikin beer, it is the local beer and I have no idea how many you drink before you fall over, I'll look at my room tab and tell ya!

The food is all over the map. Everything you would want from Sushi to Mex to Lobster. I don't recommend the meal plan at Ramons because there are several good places within walking distance.

The beach at Ramon's is beautiful, the boats are first class, the dive operation is the best I've seen. Many of the other divers were comparing it to Coco but I haven't been there yet so I can't say.

I know this sounds like someone from the Chamber of Commerce is paying me but they are not, it is truly that good. I'm still sitting in the Houston Airport, maybe I can still get back on the plane if I hurry and head back south.

Wow, great report! Thanks! I'm just beginning to plan my Belize trip for July 4 week, so your report is very much appreciated. Post some pics! :)

Awesome! Its great to read a positive report for belize, i have read alot of negative reports it seems

I am going in april and reading your report has me even more excited. we are staying on Caye caulker but it really only what's beneath the surface i am really interested in!

Look forward to seeing your photos.

I'm leaning towards staying at Caye Caulker...researching accommodations now.

Had to read your report after seeing that title, When I went there (Cruise, rainforest, cave tubing) Our guide said to make sure we told everyone that we had such a great time there, that it was un-Beleze-able :)
I hope one day to go back, now that I am certified.

Great report, glad you had such a good time :D

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We are divers and didn't do any of the other stuff like the Mayan tours, Zoo visit, etc. but we heard a lot of good reports about the extra curricular stuff. I actually asked one non-diver spouse if she was having fun and she said that she was having a blast with the beach and reading. Also one of the things the long term "pickled ex-pats" seemed happy about was the internet connections and the ability to stay in touch (if you want to). I must admit that I gave a lot of thought to selling my house and staying down there forever! I could always sell sea shell on the sea shore!

i am currently in Belize right now. My family and I are vacationing on Ambergis Caye for the 2nd time. We are staying at the Palms and cannot say enough great things about it. We are divingwith Ecologic. They are great.

Sounds like you had a great trip to AC. My wife and I are going there for our 3rd time at the end of April..I can't wait. You went to BC's beach bar...they have a great bbq on sunday afternoon's...my wife and I split one of their sampler platers an still could not finish it all. We are doing all our local diving with Chuck & Robbie's..we will use Amigos Del Mar for our trip to the BH or Turneffe if we decide to do that trip. We would love to do the Lighthouse reef dives..but my wife and I have no desire to do the Blue Hole dive. We probably will only dive on 3 or 4 days of the 6 we are there. Have to have some beach bar hopping and relaxation time.:)

I am getting married the last week of April then we are heading to Ramon's for a week. I can not wait, thanks for the post I have heard good and bad about the rooms at ramons. Thanks for the reassurance. Hope we have as much fun as you did.

Some diving guests of ours just spent three weeks at Ramon's and loved it, except for the food which they found quite avoidable. Still, there are lots of good eating places nearby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom