Belize in late March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LB Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. It's been a while since I posted here last...but my husband and I are looking into doing a dive trip to Belize next March. So I have a few questions:

1) Is it safe to travel there? We thought so, but the other friends who are going with us said they were having some reservations. Heard it wasn't safe.

2) Any recommendations for dive resorts/dive ops there? We'd like to dive the Blue Hole, but other than that no other requirements.

3) We were looking at late March dates. Is this a good time to go as far as weather?

Any other tips, intel on Belize, the diving there, things to look out for, etc., is welcome.

Thanks.

I have been to Ambergris Caye several times and it is safe and enjoyable. I stayed at Xanadu resort on the beach and the dive shops will pick you up om their dock. Restaurants and clubs walkable. Victoria House is another good hotel i used. Awesome diving. Belize is a fascinating country with Mayan ruins, rain forests and great diving. Belize City has a reputation for some tough areas but i never wandered into any of them. The world's second largest barrier reef await as well as the blue hole. I will go many more times

If you must come in March, then the time frame for whale sharks is March 8 to 18th and usually the best time is just after the full moon, but they can arrive early or later in the time slot.
At Splash we recommend april and may for whale shark diving as success rates are higher in those months.
Regards
Ralph

OK. One more wish/request: we want to see whale sharks. So if this helps narrow down our location/dive op...

1) Overall it's very safe. I've travelled pretty much all over Belize with no issues. There are two exceptions, though, neither of which are likely to effect you. Belize City is definitely not safe, especially at night or even in some parts during the day. If you overnight there, you'll most likely stay at the Radisson, the Great House or (yuck) the Princess. You'll be told to stay in your hotel at night and not to venture out. If you wander around town during the day, as I have, stick to the main streets and don't take any side alleys (I've done that, too, and it got a little dicey).

And if you go visit the ruins at Caracol, you'll go with an armed convoy to ward off the banditos.

2) Most visitors go to Ambergris Caye. There are plenty of hotels and dive ops to choose from. The BH is a couple (three?) hours away by boat. The other diving in the area is fantastic and well worth the trip.

There are several resorts on the Turneffe Atoll and from there the BH is about an hour by boat. Very different experience from AC as these resorts are isolated without any hotels, roads, tvs, phones, nightlife, etc.

Or you could stay further south, on Placencia, and make the overnight trip to the BH with Splash. They dive along the way, then stay at a resort near the BH, dive it first thing the next morning and then dive the area before returning to Placencia. You could chase Whale Sharks with them, too.

Last edited:
Huracan Diving on Long Key at Lighthouse reef is nice and because it is only 20 minutes from the blue hole they dive both the north and south sides. They are also only about ten minutes from Half Moon Key which offers some the best diving in Belize. Most of the dive sites they use are less than a five minute boat ride from the dock.

Huracan Diving is not for everybody though. It is more of a quiet getaway rather than being a fancy resort. No pool, no AC, no disco dancing until all hours of the night. In return for not having these amenities, it is also one of the most reasonably priced of the resorts during high season. And as the resort only accommodates 8 guests, that limits the number of divers on the boat which is great for those who don't like crowds. The rooms are nice, the food is very good and the service is excellent.

Marisol Tours on Glovers is close to Gladden, (whale sharks) relatively speaking. And I'm not sure what Eddie (the manager) did, but there are NO SAND FLIES there. None. I was amazed and very pleased.

I'm not sure what Eddie (the manager) did, but there are NO SAND FLIES there. None. I was amazed and very pleased.

Raking over all sandy areas at dusk (or is it dawn?) stops the eggs from hatching and greatly reduces the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom