Belize: Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing not mentioned yet, is you may want to reconsider making the Blue Hole a must. It is heavily promoted/marketed with neat aerial photos, but you will find people rather divided in their opinion of the actual dive and whether it's worth doing. So if you haven't already, read some of the threads on here about it. You may decide doing this dive is not worth arranging (or compromising) the rest of your trip around.

That said, the rest of the diving out in that area is some of the best in Belize and is the real reason to get yourself out there. Belize really is a good place to do a liveaboard, and both the Aggressor and Sun Dancer usually do the Blue Hole. Or yeah, stay on Turneffe.

You should definitely look at a map of Belize, and note the scale (I assume you have by now!) It's just not a place where you fly into the international airport, take a short drive to a land based resort, and you're done. You are going to take another plane or water transfer to get anyplace you want to stay and dive from. While there is a dive operator leaving from Belize City, that's really not where you want to spend your vacation and also far from most of the diving.

Thanks, for all the information. We are much closer to settling on final details. One place that is in the running is Blackbird Resort which is also on Turneffe Atoll. It seems like no one has mentioned it and I am wondering why? The diversity of rooms available seems better than either TIR or the Flats, and there are one or two extras offered that are free.
Any input on this resort from recent diving guests?
Thanks, DD

I've been by there on my boat. It looks nice. My buddy Travis, now one of the owners of Thatch Caye resort used to work for Blackbird. He said it was really nice. It is probably the closest to the Blue Hole.

Spent 9 days on Blackbird in March 2009.Had a great time and would love to go back.blue hole trip ,the elbow,local reef at the atoll all good.divemaster and captian did a great job.

Back
Top Bottom