Belize: Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDonn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying to put together a trip to Belize for the last week in Jan, or first week in Feb of 2011. It will be me and 2-4 dive buddies. All of us are very experienced but as the trip planner, I don't know anything about Belize. Having access to the Blue Hole is a must. Staying on which Islands/Cays will allow us to get to BH? Would prefer not to have to take a second flight from Belize City to resort, but will do so if needed.
I have seen much on this forum, but still confused. Night life is not that important, but would take advantage of it if nearby.
Once I know where we should be staying, then I'll worry about Resorts/Condos and LDS's.
Thanks to all,
DiverDonn:)

Based on your experience the only way to dive Belize for you guys is a Liveaboard or Turneffe Island Resort, Isla Marisol on Glovers as these offer the very best diving in Belize and will keep you very happy on the diving front.

Those places are remote though and dont offer much more than fantastic diving, there is no nightlife. No additional flight is required for Turneffe or the Liveboard but is for Glovers.

regards

Gaz Cooper

Gaz:
Thanks for the input. I had heard from someone at Isla Marisol, and they indicated that to get there, we would have to fly over to Dangriga first; they also said that they do not do BH from Isla Marisol. That's the type of thing causing my confusion. I did look at your Dive Belize link before I posted my question and found it helpful, but think it will be more helpful after I pick a specific island. Got a hunch I will be PM'ing you for more info before this is completed. Thanks again-DD

Gaz:
Thanks for the input. I had heard from someone at Isla Marisol, and they indicated that to get there, we would have to fly over to Dangriga first; they also said that they do not do BH from Isla Marisol. That's the type of thing causing my confusion. I did look at your Dive Belize link before I posted my question and found it helpful, but think it will be more helpful after I pick a specific island. Got a hunch I will be PM'ing you for more info before this is completed. Thanks again-DD

Hey Don Yes you are correct you might benefit from looking at a map of Belize which will show you that Glovers is the southern most Atoll and therefore not within easy access to the Blue Hole which is North of there. There are some places out of Placencia and Hopkins that offer Blue Hole trips but generally its difficult to get trips together due to low numbers its quite expensive and its a fair jaunt from those locations.

Glovers is fantastic diving even without access to the Blue Hole. The livebaords and Turneffe all have the Blue Hole dive as part of there schedule.

It really depends what you want Don and its my opinion if your going to specifically dive the best of Belize then my suggestion stands for any experienced diver visiting Belize.

Ambergris Caye Placencia, Caye Caulker all offer nice diving but no comparison to the Belize Atolls.

If your looking for more nightlife then Ambergris offers a nice combination of great local diving, access to the Blue Hole and Turneffe Islands via day trips and also a variety of different Bars, outdoor entertainment and nightlife if its a lads trip and not completely focused on diving then Ambergris Caye could offer an alternative with a good mixture of everything.

Feel free to ask any questions

Gaz

I've stayed at Turneffe Island Resort, and can't say enough good things about it. I will be staying at Turneffe Flats in September, and plan on writing up a review. So, stay tuned if you don't need to make a decision before then.

Donn

I've recently decided to put a trip together for Belize (my wife and I). I ended up with a week on the Turneffe Resort and a week in Placencia. We are staying at a place called Laru Beya - you can look it up on trip advisor. It gets some fabulous feedback and the rooms look pretty great on their website etc. This trip is in November. Their diving tends to be with Seahorse I think.
We were going to do a week with Peter Hughes - but ended up switching to the Turneffe for the extra options etc. Very excited - can't wait!!

Tremayne

Donn,

I spent 2 weeks in Placencia, at Laru Beya, diving with Splash. Absolutely loved both....uncrowded dive sites (which may not be the case in AC), comfortable accomodations, and just enough good food & nightlife (local style) to make it interesting. Personally, I don't mind the 30-45 boat ride to the dive sites....I love getting to know my passengers and seeing things from a different perspective.

Because I was a new diver (and I went in winter, when winds were high), I did not travel to the Atolls...but if I recall correctly, they do these trips. I would recommending emailing Patty (at Splash) and see what they can arrange...

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jen

I will be staying at Turneffe Flats in September, and plan on writing up a review. So, stay tuned if you don't need to make a decision before then.

We did a week at the Flats a couple of years ago, and were the only two divers for the entire week, so had a boat, captain, and dive guide all to ourselves. I have to say that some of the sites they took us to were absolutely fantastic (including a trip to the Blue Hole), and it appeared that due to their location further North on the "island", that they were the only shop that visited some of the dive sites (including the live-aboards). The resort itself really caters to the fishing-oriented guests, but the dive shop and equipment (boats, tanks, etc.) are all first rate. We know that the dive guide we used at that time is no longer there, but I really hope that doesn't detract from their ability to take you to some really special places.

Plus, with the deals they have been running lately, we have added a return trip to the top of our list of places to go.

Looking forward to your report.

Turneffe would be a good launch point to the Blue Hole. You're only about 15 miles from Lighthouse Reef when at Turneffe Island Resort.
Plus the Elbow, which is right near TIR is as good as any diving in Belize.
But, not much night life. The closet place with night life would be Caye Caulker. And that night life is limited.

Thanks, for all the information. We are much closer to settling on final details. One place that is in the running is Blackbird Resort which is also on Turneffe Atoll. It seems like no one has mentioned it and I am wondering why? The diversity of rooms available seems better than either TIR or the Flats, and there are one or two extras offered that are free.
Any input on this resort from recent diving guests?
Thanks, DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom