Belize Dive Haven

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good choice. Emails to/from Belize can sometimes be intermittent but Ramons has been around for a long time, even survived a major fire a few years ago, but Dive Haven, not so much. I'm sure you'll have a good time at Ramons but less sure about Dive Haven and there's even the potential for disaster, imho.

That said, a large group trip would probably go well and I say this based only on the reputation of the owner as a host/businessman along with a few trip reports.

While I don't have concerns with regard to the owner's desire to ensure his guests are well taken care of, I do have some about what may be an overall lack of concern for the environment as a whole.

If we consider this huge resort built in such an area, and know that he built it there because of his love for the local diving, maybe we shouldn't look too hard under the carpets.

On the otherhand, I'm hearing about another one if not more resorts, going up improperly elsewhere and these are skirting environmental impacts. At this time, I caution you to take my post as a loose rumour only.

It's my intention to dig deeper and if found to indeed be true and indeed be these new project(s), other than Belize Dive Haven, I'll return and let you all know either way.

On the otherhand, I'm hearing about another one if not more resorts, going up improperly elsewhere and these are skirting environmental impacts. At this time, I caution you to take my post as a loose rumour only.

It's my intention to dig deeper and if found to indeed be true and indeed be these new project(s), other than Belize Dive Haven, I'll return and let you all know either way.

Two questions:

1. By "elsewhere" do you mean out on the cayes or um, elsewhere?
2. Do you have an ETA on your return?

Two questions:

1. By "elsewhere" do you mean out on the cayes or um, elsewhere?
2. Do you have an ETA on your return?

Ambergris
Sadly, no

Dan, thanks again for that info. I decided on Ramon's in mid-June. Looking forward to the trip.

Jim

Jim,

how was your trip to Ramon’s? Our group is considering a Belize trip for January 22. Currently Dive Haven is the destination, but the reviews I have seen (from 2020) don’t seem too favorable, and the lack of 2021 reviews anywhere is just odd to me. I am trying to lobby for Ramon’s on Ambergris for our group.

Jim,

how was your trip to Ramon’s? Our group is considering a Belize trip for January 22. Currently Dive Haven is the destination, but the reviews I have seen (from 2020) don’t seem too favorable, and the lack of 2021 reviews anywhere is just odd to me. I am trying to lobby for Ramon’s on Ambergris for our group.
Completely sorry for the delay....I've been gone for a while. The facility at Ramon's was better than I expected. The resort grounds are very nice and the dive operation was great. They've got a TON of money tied up in boats. The DM's and boat captains were all squared away. I did the blue hole dive and they make a production out of it. It's a 2 1/2 hr. trip out, they feed you breakfast sandwich, fresh fruit etc. The dive at the hole is deep and I saw a few people who had limited experience (probably had no business making a deep dive). Ramon's staff compensated for the questionable experience by giving a very good pre-dive briefing and dive plan. They had three DM's in the water with the divers and followed them closely. A 5 minute safety stop was required for everyone and they had emergency "hang tanks" available. After that dive, we moved in the direction of home and stopped for a 2nd reef dive at another island. Completed that and we docked on that island and they catered a great lunch. We moved (again closer to home port) and made a third dive. Great water clarity on all three dives. 1 1/2 hr trip home and more fresh fruit and water. Great trip. I made 12 dives total, (exception of the blue hole) they were all 10-15 minutes out. Nurse sharks on every dive and a few reef sharks, turtles and some dolphins. Water clarity on the closer reefs was not great but still about 40 ft. The weather had been bad and made things turbulent.

So that's the diving part. The resort experience...The airport is a block away and they'll pick you up in a golf cart and take care of your luggage and dive gear. Front desk staff was great. The grounds were clean and well-kept. The rooms were in a tropical theme, all clean and well maintained. Air-conditioning worked fine. The food is fairly good at their in-house restaurant reasonably priced. There is a small gift shop on the property and a coffee hut that serves fruity drinks and beer and wine. The resort did not have a full bar.

Step out the front of the resort and you're in the downtown area of San Pedro. Local food and shops and a grocery store within walking distance. I didn't see the need to rent a golf cart but Ramon's has them if needed. Good food options are also a short walk down the beach in either direction. The beach walk is
unobstructed and you can walk for a long way if you're inclined.

Let me know if I missed anything...
Jim

Let me know if I missed anything...
Jim
Jim, what was the ratio of customer divers to staff divers on the Blue Hole dive?

Nice write-up, btw. I've been a member of this forum for years, and I learned a few things about Ramons--which is frequently reviewed here-in your post. I'm surprised they didn't take you to Lighthouse Caye after the Blue Hole.

Ramons burned to the ground a few years ago. It was quickly rebuilt and sounds as though it has completely recovered. There must be some serious money backing this place.

Jim, what was the ratio of customer divers to staff divers on the Blue Hole dive?

Nice write-up, btw. I've been a member of this forum for years, and I learned a few things about Ramons--which is frequently reviewed here-in your post. I'm surprised they didn't take you to Lighthouse Caye after the Blue Hole.

Ramons burned to the ground a few years ago. It was quickly rebuilt and sounds as though it has completely recovered. There must be some serious money backing this place.
There was mention that the resort on Lighthouse Caye suffered severe hurricane damage and has been abandoned. ??? The lunch stop island was on Half Moon Caye, home of the red-footed boobies if you're into birds. The resort itself has been completely rebuilt after the fire and is in great shape. I understand that the owner, Rick Headrick passed away in Oct. 2020. Unk. who taking over the operation.

As to the question of DM's to customers at the hole dive...I'm guessing at 12 divers and 3 DM's. I think we left with 18 in the group but some were only snorkeling and they had their own staff.

The lunch stop island was on Half Moon Caye, home of the red-footed boobies if you're into birds.

As to the question of DM's to customers at the hole dive...I'm guessing at 12 divers and 3 DM's. I think we left with 18 in the group but some were only snorkeling and they had their own staff.

Oops, yes. Half Moon Caye. That's what I was thinking. It's the usual stop for lunch for Blue Hole dives. Great place.

A ratio of one DM for every four divers on a Blue Hole is excellent, and I believe exceeds the recommended guidelines.

Back
Top Bottom