Belize: Death of Corey Monk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any equipment that will help recover a lost diver BEFORE they persih should be standard. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

I think thats a great idea. But why restrict it to diving? I think everybody should wear one of these at all times. Living is dangerous!
Everyday we hear stories in the news about people that have gone missing. If this device can reunite just one child with their mother it would be worth it.
There should also be legislation that all elderly people should wear one.If they dont move for 12 hours emergency services could be automatically alerted.
Everybody that leaves the mall parking lot NEEDS one of these.After all,it will make life safer and happier.
My cat has a habit of not coming home some nights.I will put one on him as well,will help me sleep better at night.

And think how many jobs this new industry will create! There will of course need to be a department to ensure compliance.Logically it would be part of Homeland Security as they are experts at keeping people safe. Just thinking about the increased Tax Base from all the manufacturing plants brings a smile to my face. All politicians will LOVE this device.Maybe they should be surgically implanted at birth.Would certainly cut down on illegal immigration,probably terrorism as well.

The possibilities are endless!

During the early trial phase it would probably be restricted to certified divers that choose to enter an overhead environment at depths in excess of 100 feet wearing a single Al 80.

Any equipment that will help recover a lost diver BEFORE they persih should be standard. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Cost and loss of freedom come to mind. There are more important things than being kept safe, IMHO.

Dave C

I think thats a great idea. But why restrict it to diving? I think everybody should wear one of these at all times. Living is dangerous!
Everyday we hear stories in the news about people that have gone missing. If this device can reunite just one child with their mother it would be worth it.
There should also be legislation that all elderly people should wear one.If they dont move for 12 hours emergency services could be automatically alerted.
Everybody that leaves the mall parking lot NEEDS one of these.After all,it will make life safer and happier.
My cat has a habit of not coming home some nights.I will put one on him as well,will help me sleep better at night.

And think how many jobs this new industry will create! There will of course need to be a department to ensure compliance.Logically it would be part of Homeland Security as they are experts at keeping people safe. Just thinking about the increased Tax Base from all the manufacturing plants brings a smile to my face. All politicians will LOVE this device.Maybe they should be surgically implanted at birth.Would certainly cut down on illegal immigration,probably terrorism as well.

The possibilities are endless!

During the early trial phase it would probably be restricted to certified divers that choose to enter an overhead environment at depths in excess of 100 feet wearing a single Al 80.

The ANTI-CHRIST cometh!

I My cat has a habit of not coming home some nights.I will put one on him as well,will help me sleep better at night.

That must cause you great distress worrying about yourkitty? You must have a very close relationship with your cat? Yes, by all means get one of these so you can sleep better at night. I'm beginning to feel your pain. :eyebrow:

Twin tanks, no B.C. no depth gauge, no computer, no bailout bottles, no tanks
strapped under your arm pits, no beacon, no GPS, no dive sausage, Mike, how did
you do it? Come back Mike Nelson we need you........

Long Live "Sea Hunt"

How sad this persons loss has come to this, Rest in Peace.

He passed doing something he Loved.

Originally Posted by MikeFerrara
If you jump into a great big ocean you might be lost. It's pretty much a given that someone will be. If one finds that unacceptable, then maybe they would be better off not diving. Either way, I don't want them sticking their nose into when, where and how I dive.

It should NOT be.

Why? The ocean is big and deep. All kind of things get lost in it. Ever go in the woods? People get lost there too.
Any equipment that will help recover a lost diver BEFORE they persih should be standard.

We already have radio location devices (see earlier posts). If you think they should be standard the use one.

Rescue is one issue and recovery is another. Not only do we have radiolocation devices we have all sorts of equipment and procedures that we can use to manage risk up to and including the use of in-water safety divers.

the first line of defense in good solid training and skills but most divers don't seem to mind doing without that.
Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Because folks are making statements about what should be standard without consideration for the nature of the dives, the diver or the environment. Worse, they want to make valves into radios and use legislation to do it.

There is just no simple cure for folks that insist on doing dives that they aren't qualified and doing them in goofy ways. As far as I'm concerned, they can dive how they want but I don't want their poor results used to dictate what will become "standard" for me.

Twin tanks, no B.C. no depth gauge, no computer, no bailout bottles, no tanks
strapped under your arm pits, no beacon, no GPS, no dive sausage, Mike, how did
you do it? Come back Mike Nelson we need you........

Long Live "Sea Hunt"

Good point. Though Mike Nelson was a fictional character, plenty of divers did just that and essentially continue to do so. Other, would rather rely on rules, laws or fancy toys to replace skill and personal responsibility.

I suppose that's what happens when you turn an activity like diving into a tourist thing and lure so many people off the couch with the claim that it's safe. It isn't all that safe especially if you aren't very good at it.

There are more important things than being kept safe, IMHO.

Dave C

that used to be true but increasingly we are seeing that people value "easy and safe" more than freedom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom