Belize, Ambergris Caye: Which do you suggest?

Ambergris Caye - where would you stay?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We took the water taxi out the Ambergris, had more time after the flight in, and then the air taxi back to the Belize City airport. My other was skeptical about the little planes, but came around when she realized the water taxi had no life jackets anyway.

I had no issues with either, saw a couple of dolphins jumping while on the water taxi. Water taxi was $15 apiece and $25--to get from the airport to the boat landing. So, costwise, there really isn't a huge difference. When we go in May we will take planes both ways, just quicker after and before a long day.

best,

We plan to take the Plane to the island, then on the day we go back to the mainland, take the water taxi so we can feel safe about diving in the morning before leaving the island. I understand the "puddle jumper" only gets to about 1500', so maybe that wouldn't be too much altitude for only a couple hours post dive, but better safe than sorry, right?
And I thought the water taxi would be sort of interesting. Anyone know how long the trip takes by water taxi from San Pedro to Belize City? Or even better, from Belize City to Ian Anderson's Cave Branch Jungle Lodge?

No boat to Ian Anderson's, I'm afraid! To Belize City takes around 1hr 40mins. On flying, DAN define flying as "above 3000' in a pressurised aircraft". There is clearly not zero risk associated with flying lower, but it's pretty slight. I've often flown on the puddlejumper directly after diving and I know many others who do it, and I've yet to hear of a problem. That's after gentle recreational diving - I wouldn't do it directly after hard-core diving.

Oh, I knew the boat didn't go all the way there, but that would be COOL! We will either take a bus or car to Ian Andersons, but were wondering how long the trip would take.

We will have one newly certified diver, and I'm sure she would be a bit nervous about any flight the same day of a dive, and the water taxi would be a nice safe alternative.

I posted this a while back, hope it's helpful. One change, however, based on some pretty careful research, I'm diving with Protech.

Ambergris Caye (belated trip review 2/06)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ambergris was overall a great vacation spot, very laid back, the locals
were very friendly. Street vendors were reasonable in their approach for
the most part, the only problem we had was with an aggressive (and I
believe drunk) young local hawking timeshares in the street. The food was
good, I suppose very good relative to the price. Must eats include Elvie’s
Kitchen, Blue Water Grill, Caliente. The Palmilla at the Victoria House
resort was the most expensive meal of the week, and the most disappointing
at any price.
We stayed at Aquamarina Suites, which was fairly inexpensive, and
adequate. We stayed in the main part of the building with an ocean view,
people that we spoke to that stayed in the north end of the building
seemed less happy with accommodations. The desk and cleaning and
maintenance staff were great, bartenders and waitstaff at the mediocre
on-site restaurant less so.
We dove with AquaDives, which is 3 minutes walk from the Suites. They
were by and large ok, I’d give them a 3.5 out of 5. The boats were ok,
some divemasters were very good (Carlos and Michael in particular) some
were indifferent to somewhat rude. The one major complaint was the trip
to the Blue Hole/ Lighthouse Reef. The trip can be, and was, very
rough, but I can deal with that (many couldn’t, nothing else in nature
replicates that color of green on a seasick face). The two reef dives
were excellent, the Blue Hole is a “must dive” that I wish I’d skipped for
the alternate three- reef trip. I don’t see the point of diving to 135’
just to dive to 135’. The bulk of pictures taken were of computers
showing the depth. The real source of my complaint had to do with the
speed at which our skipper navigated certain sections of very narrow
channels through very shallow reefs. I thought he was going way too fast,
but I figured he’s probably done this a million times. I didn’t want to
be the wimp that said something. Then I saw the petrified look on one of
the divemasters’ face.
We’re going back in Feb ’07, this time we’re trying The Palms, which seems
to get high marks on Tripadvisor.com, and diving with Ramon’s next door.

you'll miss out on alot that Belize has to offer if you only stay on Ambergris. The inner jungle and Mayan ruins / cave tours are NOT to be missed.

The food at Hamanasi, and the service there is TOP NOTCH. Ambergris is also GREAT FUN with the island spirit in the air. We loved Xanadu on Ambergris, but also ate many meals at Sunbreeze which has great food, but smaller motel type rooms and you're right across from the airport. The Atolls are right on top of the reef, but then again you're missing out on the jungle fun.

May I suggest 3-4 days of jungle tours, then 4-5 days of diving...best of both worlds.

Caves Branch and Ian Andersons is great fun, I wouldn't stay more than the 3-4 nights we did, but the underground waterfall tour is full on Indiana Jones jungle trek!

Namaste:
The other accommodation that I ran across was Aquamarina Suites (http://www.aquamarinasuites.com). Does anyone have an opinion or feedback on this place?

We stayed at Aquamarina Suites last January (2006). Our impression was that Sunbreeze, right next door, was better, and it was apparently the same price. Had we known, we would have chosen Sunbreeze.

Something to watch out for at Aquamarina: Make sure that you request "no cemetary view" if that concerns you or your friends at all. There is a cemetary in front of the older part of the hotel right in front of your ocean view. The newer part of the hotel does not have that problem. When we were there last year, they said they were going to put a roof over the cemetary since it creeped out a lot of people, so that could be no longer an issue.

Aquamarina and Sunbreeze's dive partner Aqua Dives is NOT recommended. Full reports can be found in threads last winter or look at my profile for my trip reports on Belize. I also have pics on my website.

The diving around Turneffe and Lighthouse atolls is amazing, much better than near Ambergris. The south dive sites are also good.

The food is really good in San Pedro, and really cheap. Many different cuisines at many restaurants - we never had any less than excellent meals between 3 of us. We were having gourmet chicken dinners for $6 US, full steak dinners for $7, and seafood for $12 - 15. Again, I have details and names of restaurants in my previous trip report.

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch was awesome. We also did the 4 day stay on top of our week on Ambergris and had great adventures. Pics on my website.

Have a great time! :)

I am going with a group of 15 to Ambergris Caye on 1st March. We will be staying at the Exotic Caye Beach resort and diving with Amigos del Mar Dive Shop out of San Pedro. I have a 20 page itinerary including dive prices and a list of 'Things to do in Belize'. I can send you this info FYI if you wish (fax or e-mail). I'll let you know 'good or bad' when we get back.

I dove with both ProTech and Amigos del Mar last week. Honestly, I felt more comfortable diving with Amigos del Mar. They have great people! Especially Sylvin Forman. DO NOT DIVE WITH AQUADIVES! I saw their boat out at the Blue Hole, still stuck there! :)

I stayed at Banana Beach, nice atmosphere.. I only needed AC so I would've been fine anywhere else. When I was diving the Blue Hole, some other couple from Ramons Village said that they hated it- "looks nice on the outside but the rooms inside are ****ty and dirty!" I didn't see for myself so I can't vouch for them.

yakivet:
For your diving. Protech, Amigos or Ecologic will all treat you very well. Amigos is a little larger. I've been diving with Amigos for the outer Atoll trips and used Protech for all the local dives. For the last 2 years, Protech has taken very good care of our diving group. :42: Ken

Concur with Yakivet on all comments.

We stayed at Victoria House. Outstanding accomodations but expensive.

Dove with Protech exclusively. Great operation - Peter Jones and company know how to get it done right. Ask for Israel as your DM - he's good people.

Dive safe!

Back
Top Bottom