Belize, Ambergris Caye: Which do you suggest?

Ambergris Caye - where would you stay?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm...a group of us are going to Ambergris Caye on the 14th of Feb (after a short jungle trip). We will be staying at the Journey's End Resort. What do you folks know about it?

3 inexperienced divers, 1 recently (today in fact) finishing up his open water cert and 2 certified in Hawaii Aug 04 and not been diving since. A 4th diver has some level of experience (i myself am not sure how much yet). we will be there for 3 days and the divers amongst the group are looking for some memorable diving, probably two dive trips...

can folks recommend dive operations or a private dive master? can we get some hand holding for the inexperienced amongst us? a refresher on the 14th would also not be out of the question at all (although the wives may have a different idea for Valentine's Day!). we want to have fun, but be safe as well. i am really looking for references, but dive operators/masters input is also welcome. thx!

Helmut

hlfritz:
hmmm...a group of us are going to Ambergris Caye on the 14th of Feb (after a short jungle trip). We will be staying at the Journey's End Resort. What do you folks know about it?

3 inexperienced divers, 1 recently (today in fact) finishing up his open water cert and 2 certified in Hawaii Aug 04 and not been diving since. A 4th diver has some level of experience (i myself am not sure how much yet). we will be there for 3 days and the divers amongst the group are looking for some memorable diving, probably two dive trips...

can folks recommend dive operations or a private dive master? can we get some hand holding for the inexperienced amongst us? a refresher on the 14th would also not be out of the question at all (although the wives may have a different idea for Valentine's Day!). we want to have fun, but be safe as well. i am really looking for references, but dive operators/masters input is also welcome. thx!

Helmut

Hi Helmut-

And welcome to the board. Journey's End is located about 4 miles North of town. I'm sure there probably some operations to the North, but the Dive Ops I've got personal experience are located in San Pedro or just to the South. It just depends on their ability to pick you up, or your ability to get to them. I've been diving two years in a row with Protech. Peter and his crew have always taken good care of us. I've been on a few trips with the Amigo's Del Mar group as well, and I've been with several of the DM's from Ecologic Divers. Both are also very good. Enjoy your vacation. :42: Ken

hlfritz:

Helmut

We were in Belize/Ambergris last year and were brand new divers. ProTech (PeterBJ) was AWESOME. Our DM was Sara (?) and she watched over us very closely, and my wife and I were very comfortable with the whole operation. PeterBJ remembered me from some e-mails we exchanged and took lots of time talking to us about diving and restaraunts to try, etc. It was a very laid back, but professional experience. He has a strange english accent, though (joking!)

We also dove with Ecologic and I'd give them the same high marks. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either operation.

Amigos was good for our Turneffe trip, but not quite the personal attention that ProTech and Ecologic gave us. They did have some nice snacks (I thought I didn't like coconuts until I tried them on the Amigos boat) and treats for the trip.

(we just booked a trip to Coz for this spring, but we'd go back to Belize in a heartbeat! Great memories from that trip.)

thx you two! we are packing now...

sounds like protech is the way to go... i will get online as soon as i can when i get and post results of our trip.

It may not be the most central place, but everytime we go to San Pedro (four times now) we stay at Banana Beach: the service is great, and the breakfast (included) is delicious. They usually have really good summer specials, too.

It's always great to read compliments (thanks!) but the reality is that there are good DMs and instructors working at several of the dive ops here. Maybe the "corporate attitude" varies, but you'll find excellent dive guides all around the place. The main thing is to look for small dive groups and check out the "corporate attitude" by talking to the dive shop before you commit. Even then, don't commit up front to using the one shop but try to retain flexibility to change mid-week if you're not entirely happy.

There are shops which will not refund if you've bought a package and want to "jump ship", but of course this won't be advertised up-front - you need to ask. We never take money up-front, and compute your bill based on what you actually did rather than what you thought you might do. And we only charge you for a cancellation if it's cost us real money to hold your place. We're not unique in this view on business ethics, but sadly it's not universal.

Back
Top Bottom