Belize, Ambergris Caye: Which do you suggest?

Ambergris Caye - where would you stay?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Namaste

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at putting a dive trip together for me and some friends ... we are looking for a place that has good dive packages for 7 days in early April, and preferably with 2-3 meals a day included. We are probably trying to stay in the $1400 range per person (not including airfare in this total). The travel agency that I'm looking at is affiliated with these resorts I've listed below. I would love to hear other diver's opinions, complaints and comments about these locations below.I looked on tripadvisor.com, but I kinda figured most people who have a gripe are the ones who have posted on there ... it's more common to give more lip service when you've has a bad experiance. Please chime in and let me know what you think.

** Need Feedback On **

Hamanasi Dive & Adventure Resort, Dangriga

Sunbreeze Hotel, Ambergris Caye

Turneffe Island Lodge, Turneffe Atoll

Mayan Princess Hotel

Blackbird Caye Resort

Ramon's Village

If you can stay on Turneffe for the same price as the others, that would be an excetional deal in my opinion. I haven't seen the resort, but you be closer to some exceptional diving.

Hamanasi (at Hopkins, not Dangriga) is quite a pricey establishment but has a very good dive center. At least it was until recently - the manager (a PADI CD) has recently left so I suppose it could have gone downhill fast.

Turneffe & Blackbird Cayes will both be pretty expensive and isolated, with little to do other than eat, sleep, dive. Eating and drinking will of course be at the resort's prices, as there's no competition.

The other three are all in San Pedro (Ambergris Caye), with (1) Mayan Princess farthest north and right next to Amigos del Mar dive shop (one of the highest regarded ones), (2) Sunbreeze a little south of town (right by the airstrip apron) and host to AquaDives (not one of the highest regarded), and (3) Ramon's is 300 yards further south, with its own dive operation (generally very expensive, but one of the two PADI 5* centers here). Most people would rate the hotels (best first) 2-1-3, though Ramon's is almost certainly the most expensive. Other hotels I'd recommend you look at are The Palms (just north of Ramon's) and Spindrift (considerably cheaper, in the center of town on the beach, but deservedly popular). South of town consider (if you have that luxury) Exotic Caye, Caribbean Villas, Xanadu, Banana Beach, and Victoria House. The last is the priciest of the lot, but worth every cent if you can afford it.

I wouldn't buy a hotel/dive package, because that way you get the dive center the hotel likes to work with, which is commonly based on the commission they get paid rather than on any objective measure of quality. Unless you go for "bargain basement" (such deals are offered) you're unlikely to save any money by buying it all up-front, and you certainly lose out in flexibility. For example, we've had bad weather quite a lot over the past few weeks and some days haven't taken a boat out. If you've bought a package then you simply miss out on those days, with little chance of any compensation other than through your insurance company (and they won't pay). Whereas if (for example) you booked directly with us you'd only pay for the dives you did. Also, your relationship with your divemaster is an important ingredient to a successful dive holiday, and by booking once you've arrived you leave open the option of transferring to a different operator if you're unhappy - or just to try them out. By booking direct you'll get a good deal, especially if you pay in cash or travelers' checks.

You won't get anywhere in San Pedro that includes meals, but believe me you don't want to anyway. There are lots of places to eat, and you'll welcome the flexibility to try out a few of them. At certain places (Spindrift, Sunbreeze, Ramon's, Exotic Caye, Banana Beach) you can buy breakfast on- or very near-site, or at all of them you can buy what you need at a local shop and prepare it yourself. Lunch & evening meal you can take at lots of places.

Hope that's helpful.

If you're going to dive Ambergris, definitely do the A La Carte' thing. First find your hotel. Any dive shop will generally pick you up at any hotel dock. See http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html If you haven't already been there. My recommendations, Xanadu or Paradise Villas for the condo, Sunbreeze if you want the hotel room. If you stay South, maybe line up a golf cart so you can get into "the City".

Do your own research for Diving. The hotel desks are often influenced by those who pad their pockets. For your diving. Protech, Amigos or Ecologic will all treat you very well. Amigos is a little larger. I've been diving with Amigos for the outer Atoll trips and used Protech for all the local dives. For the last 2 years, Protech has taken very good care of our diving group. Ecologic also has some good DM's that I've been with in the past.

Food is everywhere. Cheap or Expensive so Don't get locked into a meal package, if they even have them available. Hit the Blue Water grill for Key Lime Pie, Rice and Roll if you like Sushi, and many others for the taste of the island. Enjoy some Caye Coffee in the am. And best of all, Enjoy the visit. :42: Ken

By the way, I'm just curious - what does "Bump, Bump" mean? I've asked a few people and no-one knows. Or rather, each person has his/her own interpretation of it which is different from the others'.

I second the a la carte. You don't want to get stuck with bad food or even worse a bad dive operation.

peterbj7:
By the way, I'm just curious - what does "Bump, Bump" mean? I've asked a few people and no-one knows. Or rather, each person has his/her own interpretation of it which is different from the others'.

I was interested in the responses to the OP's questions. But the thread was moving down the New Post list so I just 'bumped' it up to the top where it may get some attention. But, 'bump' is too short for a post so I typed 'bump bump'.

Thanks for the information you've provided.

Cheers,
Bill.

peterbj7:
with little to do other than eat, sleep, dive.

What else is there? Sounds like the perfect vacation spot to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom