Belated Mini Season Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcosis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What a week that was!!

Well we got our 6 per person per day limits and came home with the 12 tails. We did a bridge just South of Islamorada and it turned out to be a pretty good spot.
Let me tell ya about the current down there! We pretty much had to wait for slack tide or "Away we goooo!".
That was most definately an extremely advanced dive!! I can see how people drown down there during mini season!

The first drop was only about 15 and no more than 20 ft. deep but with that current, a grappling hook, a dive flag, a tickle stick, a net and a catch bag all hooked to you...This is not a pleasure dive!!

So Tommy drops first while the current is still cooking, in a second he's at the bridge pilings that we're anchored about 100' from.(So impatient!!).He comes back in about 45 min. out of air and with only 3. "WOW! Now that's some work-You're turn!". I've done this before so I'm a waitin for slack tide!!
Well now I drop with all this above mentioned apparatus.Current is still goin but not nearly as fast. First there's about 5 or 6 ft. of vis. There were hundreds of "shorts" but I found my way to my limit in about 30 min.

During this time, this is where the advanced part happens...
First this grappling hook keeps dropping from my BCD and "anchoring" me to the bottom!
So I remove it and toss it into my catch bag, (which is an anchor in it's own right!). Then I get all wrapped up in the fishing line that's covering the bottom. Now as I'm trying to get free of this I get myself all fetched up in the dive flag line as my left weight pack falls out!

Oh Boy!! So now I take off my BCD and holding my tank between my knees, start cutting lines that are EVERYWHERE!! Then I put back on my BCD and put the weight pack back while trying not to get retangled!

Thinking back perhaps we should have had more than just the 2 of us on the boat! A buddies help would have been nice! Luckily everything turned out ok!
I found Tommy's other 3 lobster.This was just wednsday!!

Thursday we waited for slack tide but the vis was just as bad! I saw a school of 150+lb. tarpon that was pretty cool but with 5' vis they kinda sneek up on ya!

Well I found a great ledge with my entire day 2 limit in it! So as I'm reaching in to tickle em out, I'm on #5 of 6, I tickle out about a 9' nurse shark who is really interested in my catch bag with the 5 bugs. As I'm looking at her nudging my bag old #6 walks out, I scoop it up and it just happened to be legal! I'm outta here!!

So it was a pretty interesting trip and I can't wait till next year!!
I'll miss the Tiki Bar though! I heard this was its last "Mini Season" and they'll be closing in September! I sure will miss those "Bushwhackers with a float"!

Well I'm working this weekend so go catch em up sunday!!!
I'll try to stop by the beach sat/sun to see all you Scubaboard Beach Divers!!

Next weekend We'll try to put togeather a boat trip if anyone's interested! Keep an eye out!

Later... Marc

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom