Being pushed into buying gear - Is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And here, in this thread, it's all about the evil dive shop using marketing to drive an additional $60 profit into the sale.

Yeah, if I wanna get involved in a business, I think I'll stick to refuse. LOL

The issue is not that they use marketing, it is that they use deception. Or do you not see any difference?

Hmm, you may want to go read the first post, once again. There is not a single thing in that post that is misleading or deceptive. The LDS is providing a view, espoused as their own (even though pretty much industry wide) as to why one should purchase mask fins and snorkels.

The funny thing is, almost all the pros on here (based on signatures) seem to provide personal experience supporting the belief, even though most seem to believe rental should be an option (guess, what- rental is an option in the first post)

The LDS is providing a view, espoused as their own (even though pretty much industry wide) as to why one should purchase mask fins and snorkels.

They don't just want basic gear, their statement is that an OW student should purchase a complete set of gear.

Dive shop where I did my lessons gives free lessons and pool time as long as you own your gear if you buy a complete set excluding wetsuit from them. Is this pushing the gear?

Well, this turned hostile since yesterday....

Running a dive shop isn't an easy path to riches. It's also not your obligation to fund their lifestyle. However you really can't mail-order your air fills, so don't get too carried away with trying to save a few bucks on gear.

Get the basic fins, mask, boots, and snorkel. Don't buy the rest until you get 25 or more dives. Then you might know what you like.

The big thing you need to worry about the class is the instructor. If you build a good relationship, ask their advice before you buy. They can tell you the pro and cons for gear types.

When I got back into diving, I bought my own gear package from an on-line dealer. Out of that package, I still have the regulator setup, it's been modified a bit and is now my regulator on my bailout bottle. I have since bought (from my local shop) a back inflate BC, a new reg set, several different masks & fins, upgraded computer, etc.

I'm glad I had my own gear when I went on my first dive trip, but I wish I hadn't wasted the dollars on stuff that I sold so soon afterwards.

Luckily I think I bought properly when I bought my rebreather.

The LDS is providing a view, espoused as their own (even though pretty much industry wide) as to why one should purchase mask fins and snorkels.

They don't just want basic gear, their statement is that an OW student should purchase a complete set of gear.

Yes, but that is an opinion, nothing deceptive about it. Who says "let the buyer beware" applies to everything but Scuba? Clearly you had concerns, so you asked the question. The answer has been, hey, it's there shop, there policies. If you don't want to buy, in the face of their advice, then don't.

Frankly, it's just not that tough a decision.

Yes, but that is an opinion, nothing deceptive about it. Who says "let the buyer beware" applies to everything but Scuba? Clearly you had concerns, so you asked the question. The answer has been, hey, it's there shop, there policies. If you don't want to buy, in the face of their advice, then don't.

Frankly, it's just not that tough a decision.

So, in your opinion, it is OK for a shop to deceive new divers!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom