Being pushed into buying gear - Is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm, browsing and comparing dive schools to get started on my OW cert. I've come across a school that has the following text listed under the theory and pool portion of the course. . . . I can completely understand that having gear makes you more likely to participate, but this seems to be... well... wth??
The good news is that you are browsing. And, you are asking questions.

As several / many have said, this approach is NOT the 'usual and customary'. Many, if not most, shops have moved in the direction of requiring OW students to come to class owning their own mask, fins, snorkel and boots. As a number of posters have mentioned, a well-fitting mask is an essential ingredient of a successful, and enjoyable, dive training experience. But, the 'good' shops don't require that such personal gear be purchased from them, only that the students have such gear, and that it be appropriate for scuba.

Like many instructors, I am very reluctant to have students buy gear (beyond the four 'personal' items mentioned above) before beginning Confined Water training (or before completing open water training, for that matter). Like it or not, diving is just not for everyone, and I have seen a few students come to that conclusion after only the first pool session. I would feel quite uncomfortable selling a gear package to someone who finds out that they just aren't comfortable with the activity. Not only that, I have certain biases about gear, which I hope to share with divers after they are certified. But, it takes time, and some diving, before they have enough experience and knowledge to even understand what I try to tell them about gear.

A good shop has plenty of time to work with new divers after certification, to help get them into gear that will support their continued development and future diving. And, low price should not be the criterion upon which gear decisions are made. And, I do believe that owning your own gear makes it easier to continue diving, and makes diving more enjoyable. But, I could not support a shop that insisted on getting open water students into gear ownership (beyond the MFSB 'personal' items) before the first pool session.

I agree with
Colliam7 . every experienced diver has has their own bias as far as gear, scuba as with any sport such as golf , you will always want to add to and upgrade your gear. Just remember to work within your budget.

Yet another thing that's been on my mind. I think I'd rather a setup where I have a 1mm thermalskin or Lavacore pant/shirt of some sort, under a 5mm suit.
I'd like something that gives me a few versatile options and combinations, rather than needing different wetsuits for every month and climate I might end up diving in.

i assume wetsuits are like any other outer wear, and with proper layering can both protect, and relieve you when things get too hot or too cold.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2015 at 04:54 PM ----------

Anyway I don't want to drag the thread off topic, this was really just about a shop that seemed much more pushy than is reasonable in demanding someone buy all their gear up front.
I'll think about wetsuits later.

On the other hand, your post is a good example of why you might want to rent a wetsuit or two before actually buying them. It's hard to say how warm/cold someone will be until they're actually in the water. Rent a 5mm or 7mm suit first and see what it's like.

I'm a 'cold person'... I get cold easily. It would have been a lot of money wasted if I was sold a 5mm because the 'warm-person' who sold it said that it's all they and their buddies ever dive in.

Divers who own their own gear are much more inclined to continue diving than are divers who rent gear when they dive.

This can either mean one of two things: 1) Personal gear makes people continue diving or 2) People that continue diving purchase their own gear.

I cannot speak for the rest of you but being my gear does not jump out of the closet and says dive me, I think number 2 is more likely.

Lots of really helpful points in here, much more in depth than my original question. Thanks much everyone!

I can completely understand that having gear makes you more likely to participate, but this seems to be... well... wth??

I would not recommend a store with this outlook. I was certified in 1991 or 1992 and the shop used a variation on this theme. The class and pool sessions were $99, but then you needed to pay $99 for the checkout dives and $40 a day for the gear rental. If you did not purchase your gear from them you needed to use their crap rental gear even if it was not the gear you trained on because the instructors don't want to deal with different gear if there is a malfunction. There was also a charge for the book and certification fee for PADI.

Before the pool session you needed to have mask, fins, snorkel and weight belt with 6 lbs of weight. They wanted to sell this to you in the worst way. But I had my own from snorkeling. At the pool I was shamed for having such equipment, a friend of mine loaned me his scuba stuff so I was good to go much to the dismay of the instructor. There was always "upselling" you do not want the cheap defog, it will sting your eyes (BS), you need the Scubapro logbook (terrible one) not the cheap one. In class the attention went to whoever bought the most or where an upselling opportunity can be made. Everything was driven by commission. I can tell you more horror stories but I think you get the picture.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...arent-more-people-taking-up-scuba-diving.html

DiveShopSketch.jpg

Did you buy the car before you took drivers ED? Learn to dive then decide where you want to dive then Start thinking about gear.

I can only speak for our shop. I have never heard any of our 20 instructors push sales of gear or say anything about buying vs. renting. I heard none of this as well when taking OW course there. I bought most of my stuff used during the course and still use most of it decade later (due to a Hell of a lot of rinsing).

Now W1ings knows not to buy gear prematurely.

Once you've decided you'll continue to pursue diving, don't overly delay buying gear either.
Rental costs can add up fast:
As an example a dive shop near me Hire Charges :
For a Cylinder, BCD, Regulators, Dive Computer - 1 day - AU$75, Wetsuit, fins, weight belt, etc are all additional extras.

Owning your own gear has an up side.
Owning your own gear means that a day of shore diving can cost as little as one or two air fills, petrol to the dive site and maybe a beer at the pub before heading home.
Owning your own gear leads to more familiarity with your gear, leading to more comfort and confidence in the water.
Your own gear should fit you better than random rentals. Think: "Sorry out of medium brand_x BCD's today, best I can do is a Large... Brand_z BCD"
Once you get your weights right with your own gear (and make note of what you need) you won't have to muck around with your weighting every dive.
If you've got your own gear and a full tank or two ready to go, taking advantage of an unexpected fine day is much simpler than needing to book in advance, collect and return rental gear.

One final thought - When talking to local divers and asking/observing what gear they use - a good question to ask is 'What they would buy today if they had to replace their gear'. Some of the gear they use is likely things they would not buy again for various reasons. Learn from their experience (and dare I say mistakes).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom