Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will that present a lot of problems for singles. I will at one point move to doubles, but not right away.

Will that present a lot of problems for singles. I will at one point move to doubles, but not right away.
You run into issues with the wing tacoing and trapping air, in addition to just causing a lot more drag.

The nice thing about a bp/w is you can swap out the wings based on your use case and not have to change anything else.

Got it. Thanks.
I guess I'll end up going with the DTD setup my club prefers. I tried to save up some, but this sounds like a way to much of a cutting corner, and not picking a correct setup.

decided to get a backplate with wing. My instructor dives a DTD set and he recommended them, but I found an Aropec set, which is not quite DIR and I don't know is it worth getting it.

BCD, BC-TEC - Aropec Sports Corp.

If someone has experience with them or thoughts about it, I'd be very thankful.

It's says its a 24kg lift.

Too much lift for most doubles, let alone a single tank.

Allright allright allright...love this thread as the first thought in my mind after meditation this morning, was...backplate systems...time to investigate.

Here's the story, I'm 6'5" 220 but working towards 210, have 120 dives all open water in salt/cenotes around the Carib. Want a lightweight modular system and have seen a few talented dive masters using donuts with aluminum plates. I have looked at Hollis Elite II but those are wings. Who are the top donut BP manufacturers without the SP price? I also know I'd only need a 25lb inflation system as I'll be only in salt.

Allright allright allright...love this thread as the first thought in my mind after meditation this morning, was...backplate systems...time to investigate.

Here's the story, I'm 6'5" 220 but working towards 210, have 120 dives all open water in salt/cenotes around the Carib. Want a lightweight modular system and have seen a few talented dive masters using donuts with aluminum plates. I have looked at Hollis Elite II but those are wings. Who are the top donut BP manufacturers without the SP price? I also know I'd only need a 25lb inflation system as I'll be only in salt.

I am not one to say this is better than that. Without prejudice, most products in the industry are reasonably well made. Most cost difference is in the name. There are exceptions to this. For the most part if you buy from a reputable business, even if they don't make it, they will usually stand by the product. You can typically buy a package deal from online vendors ranging somewhere in the $350 to $750 range. You could piece together something for yourself cheaper by being thrifty. In general, anything in that range will give you the quality you desire.

For this application the horseshoe wing will have better drainage. Could be a good or bad thing depending on planning.

Question from a noob diver:

So I've finally got a couple dives with my new BP/W setup--stainless plate, basic harness, tec hose setup, and 35lb VDH wing. I'm still tweaking how much lead I carry, but seems like 4-6 lbs is about right. My question is, why is the 35lb wing so recommended? I'm currently diving in a 5mm wetsuit and I never needed to fill my wing more than (estimated) 10~25% full throughout the dive (70ft max depth). The only time I did was when I was entering/exiting the water I filled my wing full in case I tripped and fell. So what's with all the extra capacity? The wing never felt like it was creating much drag--certainly less than the rental hybrid I was using before. But what situations would I need all that lift? Would I have been fine with a smaller wing? Am I misunderstanding some basic diving principle?

Back
Top Bottom