Beginner treasure hunting with metal detector class ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know if there's a class available in the D/FW area? Don't know anything about it, never done it, but am interested in taking a class to learn the basics of using a metal detector and techniques.

It is not very hard and I think you could teach yourself with a little practice...

Are the metal detectors rentable so I could try out a few?

Are the metal detectors rentable so I could try out a few?

The fellow at Athens Scuba Park used to rent them...if he still does--??

Garrett Metal Detectors is in Garland....972-494-6151

Metal detectors are one of those strange things that look great on the wall and getting out and using it is a different animal.

I have never heard of a class- but that would be a great idea if you could get people to bite.

Please be careful there are direct limits on were you can use them- in Texas you cannot use them at state parks, and historical sites.

Athens Scuba park- New/used... they have a selection on the wall. Calvin is a huge treasure hunter and often takes a good amount of time to talk to people.

Please read up on the types- I was amazed that there are different types of heads for searching certain materials. Different models for fresh water, salt water, how they advise of what they find.

My average cost at looking has been $600.00 to $1200.00 for what I want.
Whites or Mine Lab.
If you can find someone here- offer them a six pack or a tank fill they might take a little time and show you how they use there detector.

Garrett's is actually in the Dallas area.

Any questions please holler- I don't own one but it is on the toy list.

Good luck, Andrew

Thanks. That's a good place to start, and Garrett's isn't too far from me.

Garrett's is actually in the Dallas area.

Is Garland not in the Dallas area???? :mooner:

PS--off topic...Dang it was good running into you at the dive site Sunday...always a pleasure!

Cruiser... Get a Spear Gun Instead Girl !!! You'll look really cool with one of those :14:

An additional benifit is that when you see somebody that has a Metal Detector you can just ask them to give it to you ! :D

I know where there is a Whites Beach Hunter for $400. Never been used. No box, gotta get the directions of the net.

Cruiser... Get a Spear Gun Instead Girl !!! You'll look really cool with one of those :14:

An additional benifit is that when you see somebody that has a Metal Detector you can just ask them to give it to you ! :D

LOL! I bet I'd get a LOT of stuff I wanted if I had a spear gun :)

Back
Top Bottom