Beginner Photography Setup Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwafflesauce

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a tray for my first setup as I step up from my Intova. Being my first setup, I aim to be as economical as possible. I want to be able to shoot video and stills. The only thing I'm having difficulty finding is a cheap ($200 or under) tray with dual arms. Any critique or suggestions for any or all questions appreciated. Here is the setup so far:

Used RX100 (around $220)

XCSOURCE housing ($170) https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Underwater-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-LF208/dp/B00DCY2E4Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485839774&sr=8-2- spons&keywords=sony+rx100+underwater+housing&psc=1

Two Evolva Lights ($70) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FD3QQBU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ESROD3CQMJ3Z

1. Can I still get relatively good quality stills with two lights as opposed to two strobes or one of each?
  2. The one area I don't want to skimp on is the housing, but I've been encouraged by reviews. Does anyone know if XCSOURCE housing is good to go?
  3. Does anybody have cheaper tray options that they like?
  4. What will be needed to make the tray neutrally buoyant?
  5. What else is needed beyond a tray?

If you are trying to stay under $200 for a compact tray and dual arms you could do something like the following:

10Bar Stay Slot Double Tray

Flex Arm 3/4" Package 12" Long Arms
https://www.opticaloceansales.com/new-flex-arm-package-3-4-arms.html
BUT, after using strobes on a flex arm for two seasons now I plan to upgrade soon to something like this I-DAS TR-03 Double Lightweight Arm Set, but that blows your budget unless you can find a used tray/arm setup.

Strobes are better for stills, one of each might be a good compromise unless you are trying to light wide-angle photos.

You can get good stills with just natural light, depending on conditions - water clarity, depth, color correcting filters, post-processing. Regardless of shutter speed the exposure from a strobe can be 1/1000" or less, and the electronic shutter on some digital cameras will let you sync at very short shutter speeds. With those lights you'll need a longer exposure, but how long is something you'll probably have to learn from experience. I'd guess they'll probably give you good results for fairly close subjects, but may require too long an exposure as you get further away. They're at least an inexpensive way to get artificial light as you start out.

You can get an Ikelite 2 handle tray for $100, but you need a pair of ball mounts and connectors as an absolute minimum, and that will run another $160, before you add any arms. At least one pair of arms will be very useful to let you get the lights in a better position to reduce backscatter for subjects that aren't really close. It's good quality stuff that can grow with you, and should fit housings for (probably) any compact camera you might get in the future, and perhaps some SLR housings .

The tray linked above looks to me like it may be a bit narrow. For the housing you're interested in I think you'll want to have your hand around the right side for easy shutter release, so you need adequate space between the housing and the tray handle. See the shutter release on an Ikelite housing for comparison:
Ikelite | Underwater Housing for Sony Cyber-shot RX100

My camera setups are all slightly negative in the water - to me that makes for a more natural experience in holding them. One is just not used to hold weightless things, from living on a planet with decent gravity all life long!

Yes, you can shoot stills with video light, as Steve said you will need to use slightly different settings for your exposure. Practice on land first, in a relatively dark room.

Hello
1- If you are going to go with the lights instead of strobes you are going to have to have some really strong lights and make sure they have good battery life also. But they are making very good light now a days and it is doable although I prefer the strobes but that is just my personal opinion.
2-I have never heard or seen an xsource housing and I have been working in this industry for 7 years. I love my Sea&Sea housing I would not change it for the world!
3-Ultralight makes some amazing trays so does Sea&Sea.
4- Many companies make flotation arms and also there are adjustable buoyancy floats. I agree with Klausi, I like my housing to weigh a little bit, it gives me a bit of stability.
5- You need handles, knuckles and arms. All of this are to hold the camera, the knuckles are to hold the arms and the arms are to hold the lights or strobes.

I hope this works
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom