Beginner Photo for Underwater World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with blacknet... a Rebel is great... an Elan II is better (I still use mine) especially since it has better build, ETTL flash, more controls, and the autofocus might actually work for you underwater (if you use it). Be sure to get a good lens though. You need at least a 28mm f2.8... thats the cheapest choice out there. Also consider a 24mm 2.8 or a 20mm 2.8 as well... you can also look at Sigma lenses... their 28/24/20 1.8s and their 50mm macro (dont buy the canon). and you will need a strobe.... if you wanna go cheap, you can buy a canon speedlight like the 380EX 420EX or 550EX and and EWA Marine plastic bag housing. It worked for me. You are better off with a rigid housing though. Whatever you do, don't try and go with a 35-80 or a 28-80 or 28-90 PoS lens.

Hello,

Also don't go with the canon 20-35mm lens, it's a POS as well

Ed

conchnclyde once bubbled...
Just wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate the time taken to give feedback regarding my thread, all the info is very helpful. I am thinking hard about just going with the O5050, PT015, for starter, and then with dome practice, get the strobe/tray add.

Thanks again.:wink:

That's an excellent idea and one I recommend frequently. A good strobe is important and it will cost you almost as much as your camera. So while you are getting used to the C-5050, what it will do, etc. You can save for the strobe or get it when you're ready.

I'd also like to suggest you visit theDigital Diver Forum. The majority of the members there use the C-5050 and can answer virtually any question you'll have. It's a very feature rich camera that take some time to fully learn. Most of these folks have already worked through all the details for you!

Dee,

thanks for hooking me up with the above link, the site is great and the pics are amazing. I have not purchased the Oly5050/PT015 as of yet, but my plans are to purchase next week and practice some before my trip to Aruba. Thanks for your help and advice, hope to upload some nice pics soon.

peace out!

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom