Beginner Photo for Underwater World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conchnclyde

Registered
Reaction score
:confused:
First of all, the pictures are awesome on this thread. Looks as if some of you take it very seriously, which leads to second of all.
Could someone recommend a good basic set up for a beginner, that would like to take some nice pic's. This might be a crazy question, but can a Canon Rebel, with an appropriate enclosure be used, perhaps some extra's may be needed to get the right lighting?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

I know nothing about Canon's Rebel, but this question is asked almost on a daily basis. If you would read through the posts in this forum and/or use the search feature for 'first cameras', you'll be amazed at what you can find.

Hello,

If you have a rebel then just grab a housing. If you don't have a rebel then you may want to consider one of the upper models from the rebel. I personaly use an elan IIe.

Ed

...might wanna think about going digital too. 5.4 megapixels is some nice looking stuff and it's easier and cheaper to do PhotoShop enhancements.

I like the Canon G3, but that's just me.

I would think Ikelite housing would be one of the cheapest for Canon Rebel series, but it is still very expensive relatively.
I think for the price of the housing, it would be very similar to getting an Oly C5050 with PT015 housing.
You can definitely takes very good picture with SLR film camera but I think you will get better result faster with instant feedback of a digital camera, plus you can take a lot more pictures per dive than you can with film. The quality of the picture may not be as good as film or slide but for most purposes, it is very adequate.

Here's a place that carries the Ikelite housing for the Rebel 35mm SLR, and here's a super-duper kit with a stobe.

I'd have to say that I considered the film option before I started, and I'm glad I went with digital in the long run. Film may force you to "know your camera" a lot better and "adjust properly" for the best shot. I was just content with snapping a bunch of shots using different settings and using what worked...and I still have room left for more pictures. Try to change your film underwater.

Ok...so...I'm a little bias to digital because of my background, but I guess it really depends on what you want to do with the camera. For the price of that second setup I linked you to with the strobe, you could get a Olympus C-5050, PT-015, and a nice YS-90DX strobe and tray/arm to go with it. Now all you need is memory (and maybe a wide-angle lens) and you're set. That previous setup doesn't even include the camera.

Oh well, like I said, I'm a little bias. Digital seems just so much easier to learn on.

Ok...I'm done. :D

Best Beginner intermediate Underwater setup.
Go Olympus with an Olympus underwater housing! I think you can find them on ebay.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate the time taken to give feedback regarding my thread, all the info is very helpful. I am thinking hard about just going with the O5050, PT015, for starter, and then with dome practice, get the strobe/tray add.

Thanks again.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom