Beginner Gear Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just getting into diving. Probably going to buy new gear as I'm a little leary of buying used regulators etc. Thinking about a Mares Proton V32 or a step below. Overkill? I live in CT so plan on doing some cool water dives. Any advise appreciated.

Chris

It's a hard lesson to learn RR, but if you are flush in green-backs you won't mind learning this lesson.
Whatever you think you want/need now, is very likely to change later as you learn more in this sport. I've been somewhat fortunate to not have too many of these, but I will still very likely replace all my gear (except reg) within the next 2 years.
Do youself a favor and try to temper your buying enthusiasim right now and try some rental gear until you can really understand what works best for you. Then buy good stuff and rent what you can't afford.
Last bit of advice... unless you plan to fill your own tanks, and/or own a boat and dive localy, don't buy tanks. Considering the inspections, hydros, the care, the fact you can't easily take them with you anywhere you fly to - they're just not worth the money. Sink the dough into the right quality BCD/BP and wing and a really great reg. Rent the tanks.
I like the idea that you're considering a reg first. I'm sure your LDS will play a huge role in that decission, but make sure it will be highly reliable and easy to breathe for the conditions /locations/depths you plan to dive. I personally chose the ScubaPro Mk25/S600 (and it is likely the only gear I will not replace). There are alot of great regs out there, so research and try out as many as you can. It also makes alot of sense to me to consider the costs/availability of annual maintenance.

If your LDS is selling Mares, and you wish to stay with that line, and you will be diving in cold water. Move up to the Mares Abyss. I have one and have never seen one free flow under any conditions. It breathes the same at 15 feet or 150 feet. It's a few more dollars, but it will not let you down. Only change I would recommend is the mouthpiece. Replace it with a SeaCure or similar good quality mouthpiece.

I'm not so sure on the advice on not purchasing tanks. The last thing you want to discover just prior to a diving weekend, is that all the tanks have been rented or being used for training. Most everyone I know has at least 2 tanks. However, the previous advice on renting is sound. If you are going to purchase your own equipment. Start with the mask and snorkle, boots and fins, weight belt, gloves, hood and wet suit first, in that order. These items are like underwear, it's really best to own your own. Then step up to the reg, octo, and guages (computer maybe, but it depends on how much your wallet is buldging at this time). BCD and Tanks should be the last big ticket items you buy. Flash lights (2 minimum) should be purchased when you sign up for your AOW, as well as a good strobe.

Stay away from the little nik naks until you see a real need for them. For example don't buy a safety sausage until you plan to do a boat diving trip. It will save you a surprising amount of cash if you stick to buying only what you need and not what you want at that moment in time.

Hope this helps;

Have fun and Dive Safe.

Check out LeisurePro and Ebay, you'll save at least 50%. I've been diving a regulator system that I got at Play it Again sports, and as long as it has been serviced it works just fine. 50 dives later and I'm still here. Of course your diving cold water so you have other considerations, but there are alternatives to being #*#ed by the LDS. Definelty get your personal hygeine items first, wetsuit, etc.

Thank you all so far for your equipment advise. As you can probably guess my head is about to explode trying to make some decisions on equipment. So far I bought the basics for pool training, Oceanic boots, Scubapro snorkel, well fitting mask. I'm going to invest in some decent fins, local DS is pushing split fins. I'm researching BC's and Regs now. Local DS is pushing Scubapro Classic BC and Scubapro regs. They don't seem to have a large selection. I've been looking at Dacor Falcon, SPro Classic etc. for BC and ScubaPro, Apeks, Mares regs. I hear the Apeks' are sealed very well? I also hear the Scubapro regs are pretty reliable. It seems the BC's with air in the back are the latest rave but the local DS stated the Scubapro Classic would be better for flotation at the surface? I'm guessing the air in the back BC's would tend to push one forward in the water? Also, I would guess at deeper depths each type of BC would perform differently? I think as far as the BC goes I'll rent a few and try them out to see what may work best for me. And as far as getting F****d by the locals, I have found some pretty decent pricing on the Web.

Take your time buying gear. This is one sport where looks and opinions mean nothing. It gets really expensive to buy gear, then discover that it really doesn't fit your needs.

Used gear isn't a problem at all- if you know what you want and what to look for when buying used gear. A used regulator is okay to buy used, but have it checked out by your LDS. If it's been maintained and serviced- it will serve you well.

good luck

shep
PADI MSDT

RiverRat once bubbled...
snip...... seems the BC's with air in the back are the latest rave but the local DS stated the Scubapro Classic would be better for flotation at the surface? I'm guessing the air in the back BC's would tend to push one forward in the water?

I asked myself how much time would I be at the surface versus below diving? The surface is a fraction of the time and the back inflates don't push you forward that much unless you completely fill the thing. A little air and lean back like a lazy chair. It works!!

The regulator is the main piece that will and was my first choice of purchased gear. Get a good one, that will last.

As a new diver you'll have a much easier time getting your performance consistant if you use the same suit and bc every time you dive.

An experienced diver might make out ok buying online if he knows something about equipment but if you think you might like some help geting things together and going you might want to find a good shop. LP won't help you in the water.

And jviehe, it isn't the shop you get #*#ed by it's the manufacturer. Why don't you let them know what you don't like instead of continuing to reward them by just buying it from some one who doesn't follow their rules for forcing the shop to #*# you?

Dang, am I glad I'm almost out of this business. LOL

I agree the LDS is of great help, especially when you're new like me and have to learn all the equipment so you can try and get the best bang for the buck, so you can actually get out and start diving. The problem is most local shops only carry several brands and push only those brands. As an example 2 local shops close to me carry carry Scubapro Twin Jet fins for around $170.00
I found them online for aroung $100.00 - $120.00 That's a BIG price difference, especially when you add up the the cost of a total dive package you may be able to save big bucks. Some of their stuff is reasonable, some is way overpriced. I don't mind supporting local businesses, but 30% - 50% is crazy. I don't know but how can one retailer sell the same item for half as much and make money? Must be getting a better deal from the manufacturer for turning volume I would think. It's gotta be tough for local retailers to compete with E-Commerse sale pricing.

RiverRat once bubbled...
Thank you all so far for your equipment advise. As you can probably guess my head is about to explode trying to make some decisions on equipment.

The don't rush. Rent for a while. See what other people have, what they like about it don't like, etc. I rented gear for awhile and even though it was annoying and made each dive trip more expensive I think it was very beneficial. Think of the extra cost as R&D money.

So far I bought the basics for pool training, Oceanic boots, Scubapro snorkel, well fitting mask. I'm going to invest in some decent fins, local DS is pushing split fins.

I wouldn't put split fins in the "decent fins" category.

I'm researching BC's and Regs now. Local DS is pushing Scubapro Classic BC and Scubapro regs. They don't seem to have a large selection. I've been looking at Dacor Falcon, SPro Classic etc. for BC

I rented a normal jacket BC, a back inflate jacket (which many people seem to recommend), and a Dive Rite Transpac II before I bought my BC. When I finally pulled out my wallet I felt like I was making a very informed decision.

and ScubaPro, Apeks, Mares regs. I hear the Apeks' are sealed very well? I also hear the Scubapro regs are pretty reliable.

Apeks are reliable too. I've heard some people say more so then Apeks. Not all Apeks are sealed. For example, the make a US4 and a DS4 first stage. The first one is an unsealed version of the latter. FWIW, I have a DS4 with a TX50 second stange and I've VERY happy with them.

It seems the BC's with air in the back are the latest rave but the local DS stated the Scubapro Classic would be better for flotation at the surface?

A BC is not a life jacket ....

I'm guessing the air in the back BC's would tend to push one forward in the water?

This is a common fallacy.

Also, I would guess at deeper depths each type of BC would perform differently?

I would say that different types of BC are more approriate for different depths than others. In theory they should all work the same.

I think as far as the BC goes I'll rent a few and try them out to see what may work best for me.

You might have to look around at different shops but you can find a very wide variety of BC for rent.

And as far as getting F****d by the locals, I have found some pretty decent pricing on the Web.

You might not be getting ****ed as hard as you think. ScubaPro and APEKS (and others I'm sure) offers a "warranty" which cuts your yearly regulator maintance down. I looked at buying my regs online and it would only take a couple of years before total cost of ownership for the online regs exceeded the LDS regs. Oh and my LDS is quite happy to help fix little things on my gear free of charge. I doubt they would if I had bought it online.

Cornfed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom