Beginner Equipment Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gokulsrinivas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there folks, In the past I've gotten some really good gear advice from the posts here, so asking for some more advice. :)

I'm a recreational diver with no intention of getting into tech diving.
In the future, I might try to be a divemaster as a side hustle.

Some info about me:
* Based in Spain, so I'm mainly diving in the mediterranean during summer (may - september). However, I might also go diving in India
* Have the following certifications - Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Nitrox, Deep Specialty (upto 40m)
* I have ~50 dives

Equipment I already own
* Mask - Apeks VX1 (although is leaking more because I grew a beard)
* Boots, Fins - 5mm boots, Mares Avanti Quattro Fins
* Computer - Shearwater Peregrine
* SMB - Mares all-in-one with 20m reel
* Mouldable mouthpiece - I have issues with jaw fatigue

Context: I recently dived locally with my partner and I was a bit uncomfortable with the rental equipment.
The regulator was a bit hard to breathe from initially, the BCD was a fairly beat down aqualung jacket and the 5mm wetsuit had holes.

It wasn't horrible, but it definitely wasn't the best. Most of the local shops are also fully booked out during summer so they don't have a lot of spare equipment to change as well. In the past I've dived with other operators and the rental gear was much better.

Given the fact that I would like to dive more in the future (local + dive trips), I'm considering buying some equipment and I've narrowed it down to a few choices.

I'm considering buying equipment in the following order - Regulator, BCD, 5mm wetsuit

Regulator Choices - optimally with cold water rating to future-proof it in case I go on a diving trip to colder waters.
I'm staying away from aqualung (due to the financial issues).

* Apeks Sets
* DS4 + ATX40 + ATX40 set
* DST + XTX50 + XTX40 set
* Apeks XL4+ set
* Scubapro Sets
* Mk11 + C370 + R095 set
* Mk17 Evo + C370 + R095 set
* Mk17 Evo + C370 + C370 - a bit more expensive, but keeps both second stages similar

BCD Choices - mainly looking at back inflate BCDs, tried a BP/W and didn't like the crotch strap and lack of pockets (but open to trying it again)
* Scubapro Litehawk
* Scubapro Seahawk 2 - lots more lift, a bit heavier and bulkier
* Aqualung Rogue - I actually liked the BCD a lot except the weight pockets (slipped out once)
* Cressi Patrol
* Cressi Scorpion

I'm also looking at serviceability in Spain for my purchases as well. I see all these brands have service centers here in Spain, so please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Any advice / recommendations on the above choices? I'm also open to other suggestions.

Regulator Choices - optimally with cold water rating to future-proof it in case I go on a diving trip to colder waters.
I'm staying away from aqualung (due to the financial issues).

* Apeks Sets
* DS4 + ATX40 + ATX40 set
* DST + XTX50 + XTX40 set
* Apeks XL4+ set
* Scubapro Sets
* Mk11 + C370 + R095 set
* Mk17 Evo + C370 + R095 set
* Mk17 Evo + C370 + C370 - a bit more expensive, but keeps both second stages similar
But the first ones on your list are Aqualung regs. (Apeks IS Aqualung).

I personally often run an MK17 with an XL4 second stage. But I understand that Europe has some non-sensical rules re: regs and the composition of reg sets which may limit options.

You can look into a strap on pocket( diverite makes a good one) or tek shorts if you need pockets for gear.
I am a fan of backplate and wing, you can go super simple or you can add some comforts like soft webbing or crotch strap protectors.

While some seem to like the fact that BP/W feels like a parachute (BCD floating a bit away from your body), it made me a bit nervous 😅 Plus, I used a BP/W where the screw dug into my back.

If it's BP/W, here in Europe, I'm looking at the XDeep systems (with maybe some aftermarket weight pockets)

If it's BP/W, here in Europe, I'm looking at the XDeep
Tecline is another option.
I used a BP/W where the screw dug into my back
Many have slots for the tank bands and a wing with stabilizer bars so you don't need an STA & bolts. Even so, the bolt shouldn't protrude out of the channel (and a file can fix it if it does).

some seem to like the fact that BP/W feels like a parachute (BCD floating a bit away from your body)
I probably don't quite understand what you're saying, but it sounds like something wasn't right. My plate is very secure (due to the waist/crotch strap), and I can feel it resting on my shoulder blades (regardless of exposure suit).

The mainstream BCDs always rode up on me, especially at the surface. That simply doesn't happen with a crotch strap.

I probably don't quite understand what you're saying, but it sounds like something wasn't right.
IIRC, the harness was not well adjusted (admittedly I was trying it out once) and it was very loose. So it felt like the BCD was floating a bit above my back and I was constantly holding on to it.

Also on the surface, it was a bit weird as my weight belt was pulling my down, the BCD riding up and the crotch strap digging into my groin. All in all uncomfortable. Maybe things have changed so I might give it another try.

I didn't face this problem with the Aqualung Rogue (which I used on the dive before this) and it was perfectly comfortable on the surface and in the water.

IIRC, the harness was not well adjusted (admittedly I was trying it out once) and it was very loose. So it felt like the BCD was floating a bit above my back and I was constantly holding on to it.

Also on the surface, it was a bit weird as my weight belt was pulling my down, the BCD riding up and the crotch strap digging into my groin. All in all uncomfortable. Maybe things have changed so I might give it another try.

I didn't face this problem with the Aqualung Rogue (which I used on the dive before this) and it was perfectly comfortable on the surface and in the water.
That all sounds like adjustment and/or that specific BPW issues. Certainly dive with what you are most comfortable in, but don't rule out all BPW based on the one exeperience.
I find my BPW (Diverite w/transpac harness) stays snug to my body and in place without riding up or digging in both underwater and at the surface. I do also have pockets on my waist strap rather than a weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom