Beginner dive conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My buddy and I have currently logged 7 dives each, all shore entry in pretty calm conditions. We are several hours inland so we like to look at forecasts a day ahead of time if we’re to make the most out of our dives. What kind of things are important, and why, when looking at predicted forecasts, and what are appropriate conditions for a beginner (wave height, knots, etc... I know everyone's different, but generally speaking)? We have several guided trips planned out and are scheduled to get our AOW certs soon, but we’re trying to log as many dives as we can with safety first and foremost. I do research sites as best as I can and call local dive shops to get conditions, but I would like to have a better idea of what I should be looking for. Thank you!

Sounds like you have the right idea. As you anticipate, this is relative. Of course, it's relative to your experience - the more you've done, the more difficult challenges you can handle. At some point, though, it also comes down to what you enjoy. Just because you CAN do a dive, is it really worth it? Depends on what you get out of diving. Challenge yourself progressively and you will find your lines.

You do not specify what ocean you are talking about or where on that ocean. In my limited west coast diving swells and also the geometry of the dive location are important. You need to know what your intended dive spot is vulnerable to.

Most of my diving is along the coast of NC. This is mostly wave height, wave period, 15-30 miles offshore.

Also good to have an idea of the viz. Depending on the site that can be a function of recent rain fall, algae blooms, etc.

There is an argument for trying to dive with a local the first time you go to a new site. Sometimes there are nuances of a site that only a local would know like on low tide do not try to go in over there due to shallow rocks, etc. Watch out for a current x yards out, swells from xyz will build and make exit difficult, etc.

One thing to do is find the NOAA marine weather forecast online, and possibly the data from the buoys that they use and correlate that to the conditions at the dive site. Also see if there are online surf reports, if the surfs up the diving will not be optimal. I have a one + hour ride and I have reduced my trips back without diving. Also by having multiple dive sites checked out you may find some sites are good when others are bad. The only real way to tell the conditions is to go and check, but you can improve your chances by using online resources.

You may want to take notes at first, I don't because I've been diving this area for 40 years so the internet forecasts made predicting more accurate than my guess from looking out my window before leaving.

Bob

My buddy and I have currently logged 7 dives each, all shore entry in pretty calm conditions. We are several hours inland so we like to look at forecasts a day ahead of time if we’re to make the most out of our dives. What kind of things are important, and why, when looking at predicted forecasts, and what are appropriate conditions for a beginner (wave height, knots, etc... I know everyone's different, but generally speaking)? We have several guided trips planned out and are scheduled to get our AOW certs soon, but we’re trying to log as many dives as we can with safety first and foremost. I do research sites as best as I can and call local dive shops to get conditions, but I would like to have a better idea of what I should be looking for. Thank you!

I like swellwatch website for so. calif...seems pretty accurate. If next day is predicted calm too thats usually pretty dependable.

Thanks Steve. I was wondering if you could find the things you mentioned in the forecast, but sounds like a local is the way to go. Our 7 dives have been in Monterey, CA. We recently moved to southern CA and are looking at diving Catalina Island (dive park), La Jolla, and Las Islas Coronados (guided). We're going to Thailand in April and getting our AOW there.

Bob, thanks for the info. I've been looking at surf reports and NOAA for wave height and knots to get an idea if it's even practical to dive, and then we'd definitely see how we felt when we got to the dive site. I guess for us, we don't know what wave height would be practical for a beginner. If we were doing a dive by ourself, I try to talk to a local dive shop about beginner sites and hazards to watch out for, but again, I'd like to be able to figure out as much information on my own so I'm not relying on someone else's info all the time (and then get further info from them)!

Thanks Steve. I was wondering if you could find the things you mentioned in the forecast, but sounds like a local is the way to go. Our 7 dives have been in Monterey, CA. We recently moved to southern CA and are looking at diving Catalina Island (dive park), La Jolla, and Las Islas Coronados (guided). We're going to Thailand in April and getting our AOW there.

Bob, thanks for the info. I've been looking at surf reports and NOAA for wave height and knots to get an idea if it's even practical to dive, and then we'd definitely see how we felt when we got to the dive site. I guess for us, we don't know what wave height would be practical for a beginner. If we were doing a dive by ourself, I try to talk to a local dive shop about beginner sites and hazards to watch out for, but again, I'd like to be able to figure out as much information on my own so I'm not relying on someone else's info all the time (and then get further info from them)!

Consider Laguna Beach too...if waves 1-2 ft ( swell watch dark blue). you have easy access in Shaws /Divers cove for example. Usually pretty protected. Dive shop in town. This is tough time of year for shore diving from mainland and El Niño adds to that with swells and rain runoff. Nevertheless, if it's been fairly dry for awhile, like now, and calm for a few (not like now) it's a good easy dive.

If you are reading the buoys, find out where they are at, around here a large swell out offshore can translate to mild waves and diveable here on the coast. Also on some NOAA forecast maps you can designate a small area for the forecast which can be even more accurate for a cove than the general forecast, so play around.

Here is one from my area, see if you can get to work on yours, it's a place to start:
http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-123.24481&lat=38.50649#.VqRVjPkrKUk

Good luck
Bob

I am 1 for 4 trying to dive LaJolla cove. 1 for 2 for Lajolla shores. 2 for 2 for Catalina. Catalina also has the easiest entry and exit and you are right at the diving. The cove is nice when you can dive it. Lots of steps but short swim.
I should point out that business picks when I am in California and what day is free to dive.

I like Kelp, don't have it in NC. Some nice easy Kelp diving on boats out of San Diego.

You are fortunate to have some locals participating in this thread. I suggest that you scroll down through the forums to the regional forums and find the one for southern California. There you will find much more information than in this forum, and your questions will attract more people with local knowledge.

I myself have only limited experience in southern California, but what I learned the most in that limited experience is that local knowledge is very important because things can be very different from site to site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom