Beginner at CCV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes they do have good cell signal at CCV, I know nothing of the hoops you have to jump thru to use the Honduran carrier, but yep- you can ruin paradise digitally :wink:

CCV has good wifi, at least until the idiot next door downloads a movie.

We used WiFi the whole week. It was fine, but sketchy if trying FaceTime. Voice only FaceTime was better, but still had some latency and audio quality issues.

If you don't care about having the right phone number, try getting a local SIM (for much much cheaper than $10 per day): How To Get Cellphone Service In Honduras - Ben Brausen

Good to hear that, Silty! 10 days to go before we leave for our trip & its starting to sink in. Hope we get similar weather. I'm with Doc regarding cell phone - If I wanted to be accessible while on vacation I'd head to Wisconsin and dive Lake Michigan. Water temps probably similar to what you have in Maine!
:coolsnow:

You guys go have fun! I'm doing Cozumel this year.

A brief belated update: we had a wonderful trip.

4Dm8ILu.jpg

As I suspected, my dad was a disaster (mildly put) the first day. At Doc’s advice, we scheduled a refresher with Patty our first morning, which was enormously helpful, and we also did her buoyancy workshop on land after lunch. After going out on the boat that afternoon and watching him flail around and failing to control his buoyancy, we got him a private DM for the rest of the trip. That was really really helpful, both for his safety and skills development, and also for my own peace of mind and enjoyment of the rest of the dive.

David spent a ton of extra time working on buoyancy skills with him on the drop-off dives, especially after we got into the shallows by the dive platform, and we scheduled an in-water buoyancy workshop with Joe mid-week. He went out with my dad on the boat in the morning and observed, spent the SI on the boat walking him through observations and skill knowledge, then spent a ton of time with him on the drop-off dive on the way back practicing those skills in water. I tagged along and observed; felt a huge “proud daughter” moment seeing him sail through the hoops and hover mid-water; total 180 from the first day we arrived.

7vhp4Nv.jpg

I can’t say enough good words about all the dive staff at CCV; they were extraordinarily patient and dedicated to balancing his safety and skills development, and really went the extra mile in figuring out what was wrong and helping him fix it. The change in his skills and his confidence was like night and day. He went from blowing through a tank in less than thirty minutes to making it nearly an hour and surfacing with 700 psi. Uncontrolled buoyancy yo-yo-ing turned into lovely stable buoyancy control; seahorse-ing into nice horizontal trim. Honestly, it felt like a little miracle.

And I had a wonderful time; I can see why other folks might get tired of the drop-off dive….personally I loved it. I loved getting to really know a place, and the confidence in navigation that comes along with it, and knowing where to look for certain creatures - from the little blue translucent Pederson's cleaner shrimp in their anemones to the garden eels near the chain. At one point we ran into a large Goliath grouper in the channel when crossing over from Newman’s Wall back to CCV; we didn’t see it, but we were in the water at the time another guest saw a great hammerhead in the water between the PA and the chain. We did a late afternoon shore dive near the end of the week, on our own, which I would never have had the confidence to do in a place I didn’t know, and saw so many Eagle rays cruising around in the late afternoon sunlight.

j6N2JPN.jpg

Some other highlights: We did a guided night dive with our DM along CCV wall the last night we were there, and I finally saw my first octopus in the wild - so pleased. I loved the crazy Dr. Seussian growth on the bow of the Prince Albert, and our great dive at Mary’s Place, which we had all to ourselves that day, and spent time afterwards exploring some of the nearby cracks in the reef.

GNbmYv5.jpg

And everyone was incredibly friendly and welcoming. We were there the same time as Doc, who gave me a wonderful little magnifying glass, which I put to great use on the drop-out dives on the Prince Albert and the walls. He also repainted the tabletop map’s guide to the front yard while we were there. Another special moment was getting to attend Doc Radawski's talk on Roatan and hear his perspective on how the island has changed over the years; Doc Radawski passed shortly after our visit, and I feel very lucky that we got to meet and hear his memories of the place.

lWWWUG5.jpg

And, finally, thanks to Doc and all of you that weighed in with advice; going in with a plan and the confidence that CCV would help us work out whatever issues that might arise made a huge difference....and I can second and triple confirm all the wonderful things said about Patty and her operation. We couldn't have had a better experience.

Thanks for the trip report. I will be there in a few weeks, and now I am looking forward to it even more. I am also happy to read about your father's "little miracle".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom