Before debating skills vs. equipment, please consider Risk Compensation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In another thread, we have a small debate going on about whether to rely on a human buddy or a redundant air source to deal with OOG emergencies. I haven't seen anyone mention Risk Compensation in discussing the question, so here is a thumbnail sketch:

The idea is that people have a certain tolerance for risk, and they will attempt to obtain as much utility from a situation as possible while keeping their risk within "acceptable" limits. Note that we are talking about their perception of risk and utility.

This means that if you "intervene" in an activity by making it safer, people will route around your intervention by acting more recklessly. The most famous example is anti-lock brakes: although cars with anti-lock brakes are statistically safer than cars without, the effect is much, much more modest than predicted by the technology. Supporters of the theory suggest that people drive more recklessly and/or drive vehicles that are harder to control given ABS to save them.

So...

Let's take a large number of diving teams of roughly equivalent experience doing roughly similar dive profiles, say PADI AOW divers with 25-75 dives each doing NDL OW dives. They will behave similarly to each other, each team will try to have as much fun as possible while staying within their perception of acceptable risk.

Now we give some teams pony bottles. We may be tempted to think that the teams with pony bottles are much safer than the teams without. And they may be safer. But the theory tells us that those teams will behave in riskier ways to try to maximize their enjoyment, perhaps by straying further away from their buddies, perhaps by checking their SPGs less often, perhaps by turning their dives much later because "they have plenty of air in reserve."

In each case they are trying to trade their additional safety for fun.

They may still be safer than the divers without pony bottles. But the theory cautions us that we should be conservative when trying to decide whether safety devices actually make us safer and if so by how much. In theory they do. In practice, they may not, or not as much as we think.

Lest you think I am arguing against safety devices, Risk Compensation makes prediction about skills as well. Let's say we take a diver and put them though GUE Fundamentals. They are now much safer on recreational dives than they were before their course.

Risk Compensation suggests they will use their new-found skills to dive in more dangerous environments like deco dives, wrecks and caves, trading the increased safety provided by their skills for increased utility. Again, the theory simply predicts that people have a tolerance for risk and will compensate for perceived safety by trying to extract more utility.

Personal Responsibility - we're all free to do stupid things if we really want to

Um, what?

If people choose to:

behave in riskier ways to try to maximize their enjoyment, perhaps by straying further away from their buddies, perhaps by checking their SPGs less often, perhaps by turning their dives much later because "they have plenty of air in reserve."

then that's their problem.

Um, what?

For some people

The idea is that people have a certain tolerance for risk, and they will attempt to obtain as much utility from a situation as possible while keeping their risk within "acceptable" limits. Note that we are talking about their perception of risk and utility.

Equals

Personal Responsibility - we're all free to do stupid things if we really want to

... if only that were true.

The reality is that if you go off and do something stupid ... and injure or kill yourself ... the chances are quite high that you or the surviving members of your family will do your utmost to find some legal way to make it somebody else's fault.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone if you were to consider doing smart things instead?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... if only that were true.

The reality is that if you go off and do something stupid ... and injure or kill yourself ... the chances are quite high that you or the surviving members of your family will do your utmost to find some legal way to make it somebody else's fault.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone if you were to consider doing smart things instead?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well it's not like I'm condoning stupid behavior - I'm just saying everyone has to accept the consequences of their actions and choices

Risk Compensation suggests they will use their new-found skills to dive in more dangerous environments like deco dives, wrecks and caves, trading the increased safety provided by their skills for increased utility. Again, the theory simply predicts that people have a tolerance for risk and will compensate for perceived safety by trying to extract more utility.

Just because your car has airbags that does not necessarily equate to more dangerous driving. It is still up to the driver to safely navigate the roads.
Divers do have to take responsibility for their own and their buddy's safety. When that concept breaks down, the danger level rises significantly.

well it's not like I'm condoning stupid behavior - I'm just saying everyone has to accept the consequences of their actions and choices

Yes, however my long-winded post above uses the word "perceive" for a reason. People should be free to make fully-informed choices about risk. I have an ethical problem with situations where people are poorly informed about the risks they are assuming.

For example, if I am in my LDS and the inexperienced salesperson tells me that a Spare Air is obviously safer than no spare air, it would be nice if there is someone else to help me understand under what circumstances the spare air actually makes me safer.

If I am perceive that the Spare Air "solves my OOA problem," I may engage in riskier behaviour than if I didn't carry the Spare Air, making me actually less safe with it than without. The problem is not my having the choice of whether to carry the Spare Air, the problem is that my perceptions of risk and how it is affected by carrying a Spare Air are distorted.

Whereas if I truly understand what it can and cannot do for me, I may choose to train more or stay closer to my buddy or save my money for a set of doubles. Again, I have choices, but I really ought to make a choice while fully informed of my options and their trade-offs.

JM2C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom