Been to Phuket/Phi Phi & Pattaya; in a week should we go to Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe, Koh Tao, etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I stuck to the east coast, how you recommend where I stay/dive, 50/50 with Koh Tao and Koh Samui? Also, any recommendations of dive resorts or hotels/dive shops?
There are NOT that many quality dive sites in the area, Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock are the best. Just compare the rate for these two sites from both islands.
I used to dive with Master Divers in Kho Tao but it seems there had been changed of management recently. The shop is stone throw from the ferry terminal in Mae Haad.
Plenty of places to stay in the area or further afield.
Mae Haad is quiet at night.

Samui is a bit smaller than Phuket so choose the resort carefully. Koh Tao is tiny.

If I stuck to the east coast, how you recommend where I stay/dive, 50/50 with Koh Tao and Koh Samui? Also, any recommendations of dive resorts or hotels/dive shops?
There aren't any "Ko Samui" dive sites that I know of, they dive the Ko Tao sites. For diving, go to Koh Tao.

Hat Yai to Pak Barra pier to Ko Lipe is the route from Bangkok. I assume the ferry to Koh Lanta is running now...it wasn't a year ago. On a good day, the sea will be like glass but on a bad day, it's hours of terror (look at the YT videos) 😱

There aren't any "Ko Samui" dive sites that I know of, they dive the Ko Tao sites. For diving, go to Koh Tao.

Hat Yai to Pak Barra pier to Ko Lipe is the route from Bangkok. I assume the ferry to Koh Lanta is running now...it wasn't a year ago. On a good day, the sea will be like glass but on a bad day, it's hours of terror (look at the YT videos) 😱
Also keep in mind that ¾ of Lipe's sites are within the Koh Tarutau National Marine Park and these sites will be closed from mid-May to October 1st. The premier sites of Stonehenge and 8 Mile Rock aren't in the park.

You know nothing.
The car ferry from the mainland to Koh Lanta is about 15mins. The service is very reliable and usually runs from 06:00 to 22:00 whole year round.

Ferry from Koh Lipe to Koh Lanta only stops when the sea is really really rough.

One week you should stay in 1 place or you will loose your time in transportation. Similan close mid May but until end of April ok and It's the best dive in Thailand. Koh Chang end of April is ok, not perfect but ok (bad luck or good luck count though).
Don't go to Koh Samui to dive, all the sites are in Koh Tao

If you want to see whalesharks I think you have to be lucky. From Koh Lanta they have seen a few whalesharks in Koh Ha. I was 2 months in Koh Lanta (March-April). The sitings of sharks and rays have been good. We saw zebra sharks i Hin Bida on every dive. You will see blacktip reefsharks in Bidas unless the water i too warm. We also saw bullsharks on almost every dive outside Koh Ha 3 (something new this season, probably because of the cold water comming in this year). We did one dive in Hin Daeng/Muang and saw 3 mantas and 2 devilrays. After I left they have seen many guitar rays in Hin Bida, up to 6 in a dive.

If you want to see whalesharks I think you have to be lucky. From Koh Lanta they have seen a few whalesharks in Koh Ha. I was 2 months in Koh Lanta (March-April). The sitings of sharks and rays have been good. We saw zebra sharks i Hin Bida on every dive. You will see blacktip reefsharks in Bidas unless the water i too warm. We also saw bullsharks on almost every dive outside Koh Ha 3 (something new this season, probably because of the cold water comming in this year). We did one dive in Hin Daeng/Muang and saw 3 mantas and 2 devilrays. After I left they have seen many guitar rays in Hin Bida, up to 6 in a dive.
Been seeing the pics and videos of the Guitar Sharks...crazy this year!

Been seeing the pics and videos of the Guitar Sharks...crazy this year!
LOL. Anyone want to dive around Phuket? Waste of money and time.

As for the Guitar shark, saw one on my last visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom