Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructor for Tec SM is a top-mounting advocate, so that's what my buddy and I learned to do. Now that we've figured out the contortions necessary to (un)clip the deco bottles, carrying them on top feels natural.

What contortions? Felt just like dealing with my primary tanks, just lighter!

@stretchthepenn

Would you please share photos of how your deco bottles are rigged? Thank you. :D
To hear is to obey.

2021-06-24 17.45.06.jpg

2021-06-24 17.46.04.jpg

2021-06-24 17.49.26.jpg

2021-06-24 17.51.14.jpg

@stretchthepenn

What the heck is going on with your top leash? Why like that?
That’s how Edd and the people around him when it was designed rigged it, ish. I don’t know if he was the creator, but is certainly among the 1-2 popularizers of it.

@stretchthepenn

What the heck is going on with your top leash? Why like that?
I'm speculating, as I'm still relatively new to Tec SM, but I have two possible answers.
  • The bungee loop is more forgiving than paracord, so it's possible to hold the tank fairly tight toward the top D-ring yet be able to manipulate the tank and see one's tank-shoulder markings.

• The quick-link system holds the second stage in place with no flopping.
I've also put heavy-duty bungee on the bottom leashes. My instructor prefers paracord on those, but I find the bungee to be far more manageable.

I'm speculating, as I'm still relatively new to Tec SM, but I have two possible answers.
  • The bungee loop is more forgiving than paracord, so it's possible to manipulate the tank and see one's tank-shoulder markings.

• The quick-link system holds the second stage in place with no flopping.

My bottles are currently rigged the standard way, but with thick bungee instead of paracord/rope, complete with “handle.” I use a loop of bungee to hold second stage close without flopping.

My bottles are currently rigged the standard way, but with thick bungee instead of paracord/rope, complete with “handle.” I use a loop of bungee to hold second stage close without flopping.
If I understand correctly, you've essentially replaced the rope/nylon strap in a standard DIR rig with bungee, and you've got a bungee hose-keeper belt.

I suppose that would work pretty well. My rig measures out the same from top-boltsnap to bottom-boltsnap as the DIR rig, and if you attach your top boltsnap close-in to the tank neck, then both systems would be almost functionally identical.

The only substantive differences would be my rig's snap-in capability at top and, depending on whether you've got one or two hose-keeper belts, if your reg hose would stay tightly contained.

This is where I have landed currently and has been the easiest for donning/doffing four stages so far. I always look for my system to scale up. The lower bungee gets one wrap if it's the first on a side, no wraps if the second. Lower bungee goes strait to the drob D (not around the primary clip). Upper goes to shoulder D.

I do realize the SMS system mounts totally different then mine and this may not apply.

PXL_20210625_124035702.jpg
PXL_20210625_124233457.jpg

Back
Top Bottom